What to do with my old SF 3P

MojoLight

Newly Enlightened
My ancient 3P. It was my first "real" flashlight and seemed so bright oh so many years ago. Alas, it's a dinosaur. Does anyone know of an LED replacement lamp assembly (preferably regulated) that will fit my old friend?

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
I can't help you, but I'd like to see how it looks if you have pictures :grin2:

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Sell it on CPF for $75! They're still in demand, Mojolight. And with the money you make, buy a smaller LED light (Fenix L0P-SE, L1T, etc.).

Okay, if you really want to keep the little fella - and I don't blame you if you do! - I wonder if you could drop a BOG module in there. Anyone know what the voltage requirements for the 3W are? And do they make a 1W?

- FITP

BBL

Enlightened
Lighthound has 3V lamp assemblies.

Alternatively, you could use a 3.7V led lamp assembly with a rcr123

MojoLight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions! Are there any with a boost circuit designed to run on one 123 cell ? Or would it be possible to move the guts from a Dorcy super 1 watt or similar? I'm not a "hot modder" but would really like to make this 3P into something usefull again.

beakman

Newly Enlightened
I seem to recall someone posting a while back about using a Bugout Gear Lux III drop-in module with a single Li-ion RCR123 cell, and getting good results.

beakman

Destroid Monster

Newly Enlightened
beakman said:
I seem to recall someone posting a while back about using a Bugout Gear Lux III drop-in module with a single Li-ion RCR123 cell, and getting good results.

beakman

Yep. I'm using this combination on my MTB together with a tape switch. It make a real decent high-beam

Rich N

Newly Enlightened
Recently put a 1 watt dropin from Lighthound in my old P3, it works great with a rechargable 123 cell. Output is just below the max output from my HDS 42, very close. Tint on the HDS is much better, dropin has green hue but i don't mind it...good little light.
With a primary 123 cell output is much dimmer, just below the second brightest level on my HDS. Tint of dropin is greener with primary cell as well.

I had to sand down the reflector a fair amount to get bezel to screw down all the way on my Surefire, i've read about this issue before with these dropins, seems they could get the length right from the manufacturer, oh well. Also no polarity protection so don't put the cell in backwards or poof bye-bye led. Overall I'm happy with it, good 'low key' take to work light. With an old G2 tailcap i can easily turn it on one handed as that cap turns much more easily than my stock P3 tailcap. Gets quite warm in extended use so hold it tight..., i got a good hour at almost full output with rechargable and got bored with 'runtime test'.....

DocArnie

Newly Enlightened
One question: Does a KL3 (Gen. 3) make sense on a 3P or does it need more voltage?
A KL1 works with 3V and the KL3 seems to have a better regulation (when KL1 and KL3 are compared at 6V). Any opinions/experiences?

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
What about one of Pila's 60lm 3.7v lamp assemblies? I'm not sure, but it may work running a single RCR123...

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
BladeZealot has antiroll bezel's for $1. You'll have to get a Z17 len's kit from SF or
I believe a 6p antiroll bezel will fit. G&P drop in and RCR's from Lighthound. The
NexTorch clickie switch from Emilion's site fit's perfectly and the color match with
the black is very close. This is the combo I'm working on, I still need to get the part's
from LightHound. I used one of BladeZealot's bezel's and stole the len's and lockring
from one of my G2's, fit perfectly. Your 3p isn't a dinosaur yet my friend! Also with
the clickie switch it wobble's slightly but it will tailstand. There is a lanyard hole in the
switch but a 6p g2 lanyard ring will probably fit.