a New Dorcy 1AAA?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
While in my local WalMart today - I saw just this one single Dorcy 1AAA that was noticably different from all the (many) other Dorcy 1AAA's on the pegs (yes, I checked to see if there were any more) -

NewDorcy1AAApk.jpg

It's in a champagne silver without any rubber inserts - I took a scan/photo of it in its sealed package. Notice the card insert still says "Rubber Comfort Grip".

The light itself feels/seems a bit sturdier than the previous lightweight versions.

It is a lensed/spot version - the head easily unscrewed, there are no longer slots cut in the body tube at either end. The circular plate for the LED and circuit is soldered in place but at only one point.

Turning on the light gave quite a pleasent surprise - the light looks much whiter than the previous gen 3 lensed/spot version which seem to have a brown'ish tint. The light also seems brighter.

I do not have time right now to do comparison beamshots - I'll do these later and post them in the Reviews section.....

But I thought I'd show this "new" version to see if anyone else has seen it and if there are any other colors available.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. I haven't seen any of those before and I really like the look! I wish it had the reflector instead of the spot optic like the other new ones.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
So knurling on the body instead of the rubber? It looks nice. Now to see if they make a knurled/reflectored version.

Ken 222

Newly Enlightened
I thought I read on the Dorcy web site that these had a Nichia LED. Of course I've been wrong before, so I'll see if I can find it. If it has a decent output it wouldn't be as much fun to take it apart. :grin2:

Ken

Ken 222

Newly Enlightened
This is the one I was thinking of. Different model number but looks the same to me. I can carry it in my purse! The one UnknownVT found has the same old card in the package so I 'spose it says model 41-4234 on the back. Who knows.

http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414222

Ken

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a price change? Posts from Canada show them to cost $2 more than the rubber grio cersion at Home Hardware.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ken 222 wrote: "This is the one I was thinking of. Different model number but looks the same to me. I can carry it in my purse! The one UnknownVT found has the same old card in the package so I 'spose it says model 41-4234 on the back. Who knows.
http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414222 "

Thank you very much for the link Ken -
mine sure looks like those.

Since the package card insert is/was the old style -
you are right, it does say 41-4234 on the back -
NewDorcy1AAApkBk.jpg

So I may have gotten lucky, to get a new style in an old package,
I got it at the regular WalMart price of $5.94.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
MARNAV1 said:
Maybe the folk's at Dorcy read CPF too!

Bet your sweet tuckus they do. I once asked where you could buy a Dorcy Metal Gear in Europe on CPF. The answere I got was you probably couldn't. But then Al from Dorcy popped up in the thread and sent me one, for FREE. That, I must say, is mighty nice. Talk about customer care. :)

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
I will be hitting a Walmart this weekend. Hopefully I will be able to snag one or two for stocking stuffers. Thanks for the heads up.

wmpwi

Enlightened
UnknownVT, do you know if the circuit has changed between generation 1, 2, 3, and the new version and if so, how? You seem to have the best shot at knowing. Thanks.

UnknownVT said:
Dorcy 1AAA Family portrait
biggrin.gif
<snip>

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just found the same mis-packaged light as UnknownVT at the Walmart by the office. (The new model stuck in the old package.) I would have picked it up, but it was pink, and there was the only one. The remaining lights had the diamond rubber grip.

I was actually looking to see if they had any of the older non-lenser (Gen 1) versions hanging around. No such luck.

Derek

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks really nice. The output is much improved, and I especially like the new head. Good job, Dorcy! I might have to go buy one for myself, too.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes welcome change! Looks more tougher! The old rubber always liked to come off!

Now if they would just go back to reflector!!! A black version too would be a great seller I bet, as lots of people want black, including the general public.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
wmpwi wrote: "UnknownVT, do you know if the circuit has changed between generation 1, 2, 3, and the new version and if so, how? You seem to have the best shot at knowing."

me... know something?
grinser2.gif

I'll reproduce the phtos of the circuit from my review posted over in the Reviews section (here's the link) -

a New Dorcy 1AAA

The circuit board -
newDorcyCrt2.jpg
newDorcyCrt1.jpg

Here are the circuits from the previous 3 generations for comparison -
Circuit3gens2.jpg
Circuit3gens.jpg

The circuit in the this "new" Dorcy 1AAA looks similar to the one in my gen 3 - but a later revision (rev 3)

Last edited:

h_nu

Enlightened
I got the new Dorcy in plain silver and it was in the old packaging referring to the now non-existant rubber grip. I swapped heads with an old Gen1 (just the metal part, not the circuitry) and didn't see any difference. My new LED is just as purple as the old one.

I like the new body better as the rubber would slide up and down on the old body. The new body could stand to be a little rougher for grip.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All,

Sorry to dredge this thread up again...

Does anyone know when the new Dorcy 1-AAA will be on the store shelves? After seeing the beam shots and circuit, I would really like to get one. That is a lot of light for under $7.

I have checked a lot of stores (Target, 2 WalMart's, 2 Home Depot's, Lowe's, K-Mart, Bed, Bath & beyond, Eckerd's and a few family stores) and have scoured through the hanging cards and shelf tops without any luck. I found a single light at the Walmart by my office, but it was pink.

Anyone know if they are in stores elsewhere? I can wait a few more weeks if necessary, to get something other than pink.

Thanks,

Derek

Last edited:

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love the look, But wish (as many do) that it was not such a moon beam, (is it? or does it spill some?) and i wonder if the tailcap is any tighter? VDG