Standup comedy recommendations - audio

Arkayne

Enlightened
I'm going to make a 5hr drive to Vegas in a few days and need some good standup to tie me over in traffic. Who is your favorite standup comedian?

I've got some Bill Cosby, Seinfeld, and Foxworthy already.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Hi Arkayne,

I myself am an aspiring Stand Up Comedian, so to see this topic being discussed bring a smile to my face.

As for my favorite, I'd choose the late Mitch Hedberg. His style is certainly not the norm, but it is the style I can most relate too.

Hope that helps and enjoy your Comedy!

All My Best,
John

Arkayne

Enlightened
Yesssss, I forgot about Kinison and Carlin! I'll add those to my playlist.

As for Hedberg, I saw a clip of his on the net and thought it was absolutely hilarious.

"I wanted to buy a candle holder, but the store didn't have one. So I bought a cake."
"I like to hold the microphone cord like this, I pinch it together and then I let it go, then you hear a whole bunch of jokes all at once."

edit: Hey six, do you have any of clips of yourself available?

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to recommend Mitch Hedberg also, but looks like I was beat to the punch.

Go locate Jim Gaffigan's "Hot Pockets" piece...it will have you rolling...get the longest clip of it you can find.

JM-99

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Hey Arkayne,

I am very glad that you like Hedberg's style of Comedy. His material in some ways echos what I do, but our deliveries are compleetely different. To me, he is a Comic genius that left us all too soon.

As for me having online footage, unfortunately I do not as I am bad with technology and computers. I do have footage on DVD and with the help of a friend I hope to have it converted soon.

If you do not mind, I am going to PM you some of my contact info, and should I be able to get some of my work online I'd gladly let you know. Please keep in mind, I am new to Comedy in specific, so I am not as experienced as many. But I enjoy doing it and feel I am extremely solid for what I am trying to do.

All My Best,
John

Ken 222

Newly Enlightened
I like Brian Regan. Of course his facial expressions are part of what makes him so funny.

Pablo Francisco is funny even if you can't see him, so he would be a better choise in the car.

Ken

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like some of the older rare audio comedy as well such as stuff I've heard from Bob Newhart and Andy Griffith, and Bill Cosby a few to come to mind. However, in my book, a great audio cd if it can be found is Cheech and Chong's The Big Bamboo or some of their other works.

MikeHunt79

Newly Enlightened
Bill hicks deserves a mention, tho he may not be everyones cup of tea...

Eddie Izzard, Bill Baily and Peter Kay from this side of the pond and are pretty good. :)

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
James Gregory and Justin Wilson (yes, the cook) are both worth a listen to.
If you like Foxworthy you'll probably like Engval.
And if you can find them, Bob and Ray are timeless classics.

metalhed

Enlightened
For those that don't mind challenging humor, I completely agree that Sam Kinison, Bill Hicks, Mitch Hedberg are (were :( ) all top notch.

Don't forget Carlos Mencia. If you haven't heard most of his stuff already, he's a great comic too.

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
A second on George Carlin - man's brilliant.

LILY TOMLIN! Her four classic albums have been re-released on CD by Laugh.com - which, by the way - has a HUGE catalogue of comedy albums, most of which have never been available on CD before.

Judy Tenuta! "It could happen!"

The Frantics! - a Canadian comedy troupe that's just insanely funny. www.TheFrantics.com

Arkayne

Enlightened
Hoooo baby! I'm going to have enough material for Vegas and back and Vegas and back. Hopefully I'll win a few bones to keep me there. Thanks for the suggestions fellas.