New lens for Task Force and AAP 3 watt C cell lights

entendu

Newly Enlightened
Received the 25 degree beam lens today from www.cutter.com.au and installed it in the Task Force 2 C cell -3 watt light. Its a fit and while not perfect it does function well . It also fits in the Advance Auto Parts 3 watt led light. With the 25 degree lens the beam is quite a bit broader and unifirm with virtually no hot spot similar to my Nuawi 301-5 watt light although not as many lumens for sure. Other lenses with different beam profiles are available and while they will fit there are some differences which may show up in the narrow beam (10 degree). The slight recess along the front surface means the lens will not sit back as far in the housing as the o ring fits in the recess along the circumference. The other difference is that the depth of the this lens is shorter than the stock unit by at least 1/8 inches and the central recess depth into which the led fits is shorter by about the same amount. But it does fit . The specs with the actual dimensions are available at this site as a pdf file. file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/kepl35_luxeon.pdf

Additional info on beam patterns are at this site

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/kepl35_luxeon_test_report.pdf

The only other difference is that there is a hole in the center of the lens on the front side of the lens. The stock lens is flat with no central hole.

The 10 degree beam is probably closer to the orginal lens but with the changes in configuration its not clear if it will be 10 degrees when installed.

I wanted a broader beam and this lens fits that bill.

Heading to the Future at Light Speed

SuperTorch

Enlightened
Are you sure the lens is siting on the star/led rim perfectly, According to my measurements it shouldn't have been 1/8 of an inch shorter, thats alot, and with the hole in the middle like you are describing its telling me is not reaching the led seat. I could be wrong but just like the 35MM dia the height of the lens should have been exactly the same. I bought two more AAP3W and they both are giveng me problems with the beam that I cant seem to get fixed, one of them dimed 1/2 way like the others in the AAP3W thread described, the other is nice and white and bright but both have much more side spill and less of a corrona. Its Strange Actually, but my working one is killer just got it get the led where it belongs on the other 2 but it been tougher this time around.On the TF3W the spring load has a lot more play where on the AAP3W its just barley reaching the LED with a fully tightened bezel.

entendu

Newly Enlightened
Super Torch regarding the measurements. I checked with a caliper and the height of the new lens is .60 inches. The orginal is .72 inches. And I believe your right that it may not be fully seated over the led.

Regarding the other AAPs I'm going to get another one tomorrow. If there is a problem I'll report

SuperTorch

Enlightened
Take the Lens and seat it by hand with the light on, it should sit down where you can hold it on, you'll notice that even 1/32 inch movement while change the beam pattern. If you seat it by hand and the beam looks a alot better you know it not reaching the LED seat and I've found they are built to very exacting seating.

.72iches = approx 18.28MM hmmmmm haven't seen that approx height size.

entendu

Newly Enlightened
Super Torch
correction . The orginal lens measures .70 inches vice .72 ( my caliper has divisions of .01 inches)

As to the placement of the lens on the led - yes there is a change in beam shape when it is displaced slightly (raised from being fully seated on the led) but not nearly as much of a perceivable effect on beam width as with the orginal lens when it is moved away from fully seated position . I suspect the difference being related to the fact that changes to the wider beam width are just not as readily apparent as with the much more narrow beam of the orginal. Had I purchased the 10 degree lens I suspect I'd see a much greater effect. However even though the new lens is shorter than the orginal it does seem to seat when assembled. hmmm

ledaholic

Enlightened
"However even though the new lens is shorter than the orginal it does seem to seat when assembled. hmmm"

Probably has something to do with the Star being spring loaded.

SuperTorch

Enlightened
Thr TaskForce has a of play in it more than 2/16th of a inch so hes reaching the star but the AAP3W doesn't have much spring loaded play in it at all it barly reaches the lens full screwed on but does. .7in = 17.78MM according to google :)