I rediscovered my SF L4

rollee

Newly Enlightened
Having some dislikes on its lack of throw, i binned my L4 until this evening.

The flood beam is gorgeous, and better yet very user friendly. I mean when i need it to light up the attic or show my way down the basement, the L4 did with ease and finesse. it totally did what was expected, lit up an area evenly. The best is to shine it on the ceiling, very beautiful light to have in any house. considering its price (here) I think everyone should buy one for the home.

Last edited:

SCblur

Enlightened
I couldn't agree more. The L4 and L2 are two of my favorite lights, in large part due to the beam pattern being so practical. My L4 shows me a whole scene instantly, when most other lights must be swept around to illuminate the whole picture. Simply perfect for short/medium range tasks.

Ivanhoe

Newly Enlightened
I still prefer it as my carry in the house light - esp since i have the McE2s tail cap with a 60ohm pcb. and AW's 17670. Great 2 stage light. And somewhat of a collector's item with Don's tail cap!

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the KL4 to be the PERFECT bike light. Its wide beam and huge output help to light the whole road up, unlike Lux III lights that puts a spot but can't you see 10 degree to each side(or use beam defusers that scatters up the beam too much to the sky).

Or yeah I carry an L4 as a part of my EDC too.

Last edited:

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
I, too, love my L4, especially for indoors. I've long thought that it is the one light every flashaholic should have. Mine runs on a Li-Ion 17670. Not easy to beat this combo. And it's small enough to clip to my ball cap for a no-hands flood light.

luminata

Enlightened
I recently got an L4 again. my 1st one was great and at the time was one of the first ones out there with the twisty switch. it never failed to amaze and I had it working on the 1cell also. I sold it (big mistake ) and then tried some lite modding. well I have become disenchanted with LuxIII , they throw pretty good but just not that impressive to me and modding though fun can be frustrating and expensive. so even with the Cree frenzy on here really making have doubts on doing it, I got a more recent L4 . well, I am a bit dissappointed . this donut crap is completely unacceptable. My old L4 did not have this and for Surefire who sells their pricey lites on the sales pitch of a "flawless" beam it is a disgrace. None should have this problem . if some dont then there is no reason any should. Mine does although to see it you have to move the light back and forth over a white wall and at a specific destance. Have any of you L4 owners contacted Surefire or had them replace your Head? or has everyone just accepted this outrage? I am going to keep this lite though it doesnt wow me as much as before after using both throw lights and floods I think overall for me a flood is the best for EDC . I have a AW17670 on backorder from lighthound as part of the system and have fashioned a Kydex sheath with a small Bladetech clip for carry .

The Porcupine

Enlightened
The L4 truly is an amazing light! I love mine even more after I got a McTC/McClicky tailcap for it. It sees a lot more use now, since I don't have to lock out the tailcap when carrying it in my pocket.
This one is my second L4 (gave the first one away to a friend in need) This one must be a Luxeon lottery winner, as it's screaming bright, perfect tint and no doughnut hole. Runs well on one primary cell as well!
mccl4.jpg

Penguin

Enlightened
Awesome picture Porcupine! I have a premium L4 too! It seems to be X-bin brightness (eyeball ceiling bounce vs. my X-bin HD45) with a nice slightly warm white (NO GREEN). Couldn't have asked for a nicer L4, great light.

Mark2

Enlightened
Yeah, the L4 is great, but when I used mine two days ago on a repair mission (after months of not using it), I rediscovered why I didn't used it anymore. Because after a while it gets *very* hot, even more so when you put it down so you can use both hands. Great for all those short tasks when you turn it on an off, but not so great for "longer" work.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
:hairpull: Still waiting to "discover" my L4. They have been on backorder from surefire due to military demand. I'm patient tho. If surefire comes out with a cree version before I get mine I will be upset.

nuggett

Enlightened
I use mine a lot for work. Continous run, gets very hot. I wonder the effect on the LED after some time. Its about 1 yr old now, used hard, no visible effect so far.

PFloyd

Newly Enlightened
:wave:

I couldn't agree more. I just bought an L4 on Nov 10th. On the 11th, the power went out in my apartment and the L4 was a life saver. I would have been banging into things, but the L4 showed the way.

I definitely will buy another Surefire(probably the E1L).

:thanks:
Bob

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
A while back I sold my two KL4's (one was an L4), not because I did not like the beam or output, but because it got so damn hot. I bought a KL5, and that ended the heat issues, and it runs great on an 18650, or 17650. Now that I have the KL5 (and L6) I think I will reconsider getting another KL4 and use it with a 150S type body, for backup, and short running applications, or maybe use a RCR123 if I am lucky and get a low vf KL4.

Bill

Sixpointone

Enlightened
I must agree that the L4 is an excellent Light.

I own one, and have a McE2s Trim Tailcap, with 22 ohm, on it. In addition I run it on Pila 168S Batteries.

So not only is it an awesome Light, but it is basically cost free for me to run.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I love my L4 too, and in my opinion with my KL4, I don't have a problem with it throwing either. Sure the x200a makes things brighter at a distance and does go a bit further, but I can still see them well enough with the L4 to identify etc...