Arc AAA & Norland61

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I just bought 4 or 5 Arc AAA's, Cyan x 2, Green, R/O, and a UV. Now I know this has been dicussed before, and I got the idea from Don "McGizmo" McLeish. The beam for the R/O (Red-Orange) could be described as: :eeew: So I covered the emitter with Norland61, a crystal clear drying epoxy, I went ahead and filled the lens almost to the rim with the stuff. I let it cure for 3 hours under the sun and UV lights....

Wow! It really cleaned up the beam!

Look at Dons Example here.

If you have Norland, I highly reccomend this easy mod. Just be careful to pour it "bubble free".

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! It may well have been mentioned before, but some of us ain't been here that long...excellent post PSM, I may have to source an old red Arc AAA after reading this.

BTW, do you think that devcon epoxy would achieve the same effect? All the same stuff isn't it?

CFU

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
My *guess* is that any Epoxy when cured, thats is crystal clear should work...

You cant see the clear dome of the emitter with the Norland on it, its kinda cool. It looks like a clear hole down into the emitter, with all the electronics and stuff....

Virgo

Newly Enlightened
Casual Flashlight User said:
Nice! It may well have been mentioned before, but some of us ain't been here that long...excellent post PSM, I may have to source an old red Arc AAA after reading this.

BTW, do you think that devcon epoxy would achieve the same effect? All the same stuff isn't it?

CFU
I would be careful with the Devcon. I used some (originally clear) to fill the head of an Arc AAA LE a few years back. Like PSM said, the effect was cool and pretty much as he described. The epoxy yellowed fairly soon after, and though still working, emits an amber tinted light. Still a great light that gets lots of use, but the Devcon did not remain clear for long.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads up Virgo...
thumbsup.gif

I may track down some of this "nordland" stuff and give it a try sometime.

CFU

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
The luxeons are pretty clean beamed already. At least my AWR Nano is. I used this Norland on my Arc Colors, like R/O and Cyan to smooth out that "Ringy" beam. Just keep your Norland in the fridge next to the eggs. Itll stay good for a while, Don (McGizmo) has some 1 year past its expiration date still flowin fine!

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
So how much for a bottle ? Maybe someone can split a bottle up in smaller batches ? We could still do a few lights with a smaller batch...

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Status
Not open for further replies.