Anyone made a white laser?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at some websites and it seems we have red, green and blue lasers. It occured to me, we have the makings of producing white light.

Just wondering.

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
Most RGB laser projectors have the capability to do white light. They have a 3 lasers in them, R, G, and B and when combined they make white. I hear the best ratio of color is 4 parts red at 671nm, 1 part green, 532, and 1 part blue, 488 or 473, there was a small discussion about which is the best blue. Some have said 514 is a better green also, but... :shrug: I also read that ratios are BS, you use what ever "looks" like good white.

Lasers used in projectors are oneof two types, or can be modulated in two ways, ttl (no idea what it stands for) and analogue. TTL uses a +/-5volt signal to turn the laser on or off. Analogue... I think used +/-5 volts to turn the laser's power up and down gradually. A 100mW laser could go from 10mW, 15, 20, 30, 50, 75, 100... A ttl projector can do "7" laser colors, R, G, B, additive colrs, and Yellow, Cyan, Magenta, subtractive colors, and White, all colors. An analoge projector can use varying degrees of all 6 additive and subtractive colors to sumulate any color, up to 16 or so million. :candle: And white... :grin2:

Canuke

Enlightened
allthatwhichis said:
Lasers used in projectors are oneof two types, or can be modulated in two ways, ttl (no idea what it stands for) and analogue. TTL uses a +/-5volt signal to turn the laser on or off.

"TTL" = Transistor-Transistor Logic. This means it's a binary input, on or off (0 or 1). +5V is its characteristic Vcc. Most digital hardware uses TTL voltage. CPU's since the Pentium 90 or so have been using lower voltages. A Core 2 Duo running TTL voltage would go nova...

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lasers are one wavelength only, ie, one colour. As white light is made up of lots of wavelengths ( colours ), you could not make 'one' laser that produces white light. You could combine lasers as per the post above but this is very difficult and inefficient as you have to get all three beams coming out from the same place which involves complicated techniques.

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
You can have one single laser emit white light. Krypton lasers do just that.

Also, combining different color lasers to produce white is not that difficult. You just need some dichroic mirrors, and their alignment is not that hard if you have the appropriate equipment :grin2:. It's a fun project too :naughty:

Ragnarok

Newly Enlightened
The helium-cadmium vapor system can also produce RGB white light from one laser, and the wavelengths are well placed for color work, but they are rare and finicky critters and I have not seen any recent information on who might be currently making them (and if they are being made at all, the green/blue DPSS /red diode laser combos pretty much guarantee their extinction).

Ragnarok

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
I have found it's eaiser to mix colors when scanning. I also split the green... :grin2: and pointed em all towards the motorized mirror and got a nice white in the cornor of my ceilling.

It's probably a 40mW R, 20mW G, 50mW B mix...

I got a friend who let me borrow his cheap wal mart fog machine, but he forgot the juice... :ohgeez: Called him a minute ago and told him to carry his ***... Maybe I need the fog ready before the DAC will carry it's ***... :candle: Until then this is the only scanning I can do... :awman: And I need the fogger to enjoy it better.

Last edited:

Latest posts