flashlight newbie needs help

C

charge

Hello All,

I am new here but have been browsing for awhile. I am flashlight illiterate and need your help. I am looking for a small LED light to carry at work (carpentry/handyman). I have always carried a minimag lite, but its a bit big as I carry a Leatherman Charge TI with a seperate pouch for extra screwdriver bits so three things hanging on my right side(dont like the left) is a bit much. While reading a review of my Leatherman the author showed the small elastic pouch in the Leatherman sheath that perfectly held his ARC-AAA. This light seems to get great reviews and I am leaning that way. The minimag is okay but chews up batteries and tends to turn itself on sometimes. I would get the Premium Arc-AAA. Are there any other lights of this type, size and price I should be looking at?

i hope to learn alot here, and thanks in advance for your help.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!
tinfoilhat.gif

Arc-P = rock solid little light, will last for ever, superb fit and finish.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/arc_aaa-p.htm

Fenix E1 = not *quite* as sturdy as the Arc but it puts out more light and is still a great product.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_e1.htm

But please consider this AA light...

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/civictor_v1.htm

It really is a fine little light, a bit bigger than an AA battery and would easily slip into a pocket (you wouldn't even notice it on a belt though). My favorite budget light!
buttrock.gif

CFU

carrot

Flashaholic
Without a doubt the Arc-AAA is one of CPF's beloved lights. It's usably bright, slim, good-looking and built like a tank. But for the Premium model (the one that you should be wanting), you'll $50 to get it at your door. Kinda pricey.

If you're looking for a light very similar to it, consider the Fenix E0 "Dart" from Fenix-Store.com. It's slightly smaller and slightly dimmer than the Arc-AAA Premium but it also runs for 9 hours in regulation, or "sun" mode as Arcflashlight.com calls it.

The E0 can run for 11+ hours total, whereas the Arc-AAA P will run for 5 hours in "sun" mode, gradually decreasing in output, and another 5 in "moon" mode. Best part is? It's also cheaper, at $20 to your door. Only real disadvantage the E0 has is that it doesn't appear to be built as tough as the Arc.

My recommendation? Buy both :D

Bomo

Newly Enlightened
Being a newbie, I was sort of in the same position but really looking for a keychain light to replace my Dorcy 1AAA. I wound up with the Fenix E0 - good amount of light for a good amount of time. I was really tempted by the Arc-AAA P but couldn't quite part with ~$50 for it. I also carry an Inova X1 - about $20 from Target. The Inova is larger but easily pocketable and provides quite a bit more light than the E0. The hard part is making a decision without really seeing it.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Casual Flashlight User here, the Civictor V1 is hard to beat when it comes to get your worth for the money. It's small (but bigger than an ARC), reliable and the output will knock the socks of your old maglite, and the batterylife isn't bad either, and best of all, it runs on AA.

But it depends on what you prioritize. Really small? Bright? Long runtime? Price?
You might also consider Fenix L0p SE, it has three different stages of brightness and roughly the same size as arc, it should fit your leatherman pouch.

My favorite is the Civictor, but since it's a AA-light, might be hard to fit in the pouch. But still a REALLY small light.

You should check out http://www.flashlightreviews.com to compare them.

redskins38

Newly Enlightened
I would go with the arc, i have both the arc and the eo. I lost my arc about a week ago and ive already got another on the way. If i would have lost my EO i would have just shrugged my shoulders and forgot about it. The arc is worth every penny you pay for it in my opion. It will be the one light you can always count on to turn on when you need it the most. thats my two cents any way

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I agree that all the lights mentioned are excellent, but since you're planning to use it in your job some throw is probably needed on occasion. For that reason the Civictor might be a better MiniMag replacement. Of course there's always room the bottom of a pocket for a Fenix E0 or Arc AAA.

Geoff

Scottiver

Enlightened
I have an Arc and a Civictor. I like them both but I don't leave the house without my Arc. It is the perfect amount of light to light up for up to maybe eight feet then gradually diffuses out further than that. Another handy feature of the Arc is that it can be clipped to your hat(if you wear one) and now you have an instant headlamp for hands free use.
And just to clarify, the Arc is exactly $44.00 priority mailed to your door.

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
charge said:
I am looking for a small LED light to carry at work (carpentry/handyman). I have always carried a minimag lite, but its a bit big as I carry a Leatherman Charge TI with a seperate pouch for extra screwdriver bits so three things hanging on my right side(dont like the left) is a bit much. While reading a review of my Leatherman the author showed the small elastic pouch in the Leatherman sheath that perfectly held his ARC-AAA. This light seems to get great reviews and I am leaning that way.

Welcome to CPF, charge and you have great taste in multi-tools. :thumbsup: I also carry a Charge Ti with three trays of bits so I understand were you are coming from. I'll take it that you want a single AAA light to slip in the elastic side pouches of the Ti holster.

For work, I put everything in one holster (Ripoffs CO-47FL) and it holds the Charge, 3 trays of bits, a 4" (100mm) adjustable wrench and Peak 2AA stainless Luxeon flashlight inside. Yes, it is a bit bulky but I am used to it. If I have to dress more professionally, I use just the single charge holster with the multi-tool, one tray of bits, the 4" adjustable wrench in one side pouch and a Peak Baltic stainless 1 AAA luxeon light in the other side pouch. Very small, very light and it works well.

There are several single AAA lights that will fit in the Charge holster side pockets at varying prices, outputs, runtimes, type of battery and type of LED used. Here is the list.

Arc AAA-P 5mm LED, smallest of them all, very robust but not the brightest thing although runs 5 hours on a single AAA alkaline. I used one on a keychain for a year and use a version with red LED and it works well. $40

Fenix L0P SE Luxeon LED with three levels to choose from although high level eats the battery. Slightly larger in diameter than Arc AAA-P but will fit in holster fine. Best used with lithium or NiMH rechargable AAA batteries for best performance. If you want multiple outputs, this is the light to get. $45

Fenix E0 5mm LED, slightly larger than Arc AAA-P and not as bright as the Arc. Runs for 11 hours on an alkaline AAA battery and has even brightess for the first 8 hours. The lowest cost light at $20

Peak Baltic Luxeon LED with a choice of HA-III aluminum, brass or stainless steel bodies. Choice of 5 different output levels which impacts runtime and battery choice. Optional 2AAA body for more output and runtime and optional momentary switch. I use the stainless steel version with the highest output which demands NiMH AAA cells to operate for about an hour. Stock medium output will run almost 2 hours on an alkaline with dimmer output for a day as the regulator kicks out. 5 hours of runtime on a lithium AAA battery. $50 for aluminum/brass $60 for stainless steel.

Peak Pacific AAA Largest head and light of the AAA lights but fits in Charge side pockets well. Uses same regulator/runtime as the Baltic but has farther throw due to larger reflector. It can be changed to a single AA light for very long runtimes although it will stretch out the side pocket on the Charge holster. Same options as Baltic $50

If you want the smallest lights with the longest runtimes, the Arc and E0 would be the best bet. If you want the highest output on alkalines for seeing things during the daylight, the Pacific would work well for you. Say you want to use NiMH AAA rechargables the L0P SE and Baltic/Pacific (Super Ultra Power level) will put a smile on your face. Runtime is short as to be expected although the L0P SE can be run at lower levels to get you through the day.

I use the Baltic stainless in my Charge pouch with a NiMH battery normally, if I expect longer runtimes are needed it gets substituted with a Baltic aluminum with lithium AAA for 5 hours of regulated runtime.

Once Fenix releases a L0P SE with Cree XR-E LED, I am going to jump on that but it might be a long wait.

My suggestion would be for a light that gets used several hours a day, the E0 for extended runtimes. One that runs alkaline AAA batteries, the Pacific is very efficient. If twisting the head of the light to change levels does not bother you... the L0P SE would be fine although it will eat an alkaline on high in about 15 minutes. Lower levels will give longer runtimes as will rechargable batteries or lithium AAA batteries. I went with the Baltic over the Pacific since I also use the light on a lanyard when camping and wanted the smaller head.

Confused enough yet? If you asked that question three years ago my post would of been much shorter.... Arc AAA-P Always nice to have many options now and the Charge Ti pouch seems empty without a AAA light next to it.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just want to say hi to Charge and Bomo. Welcome guy's.

I know that my E1 and LOP SE fit in the elastic pocket in the side of the Nylon Charge Ti/XTi pouch. I too thought it was a handy little discovery! I would get the E1 for starters and go from there.

aggiejason

Newly Enlightened
I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents worth in for the Inova X5. Bright little sucker! I love mine. :D

C

charge

1. Thank You all for your help. Now I can ask some more questions:laughing:.

2. Right now I am leaning toward the L0P SE because it fits in my tool sheath and I like the variable output. Is this light more of a flood like the ARC or does it have some spot to it(I would prefer spot)?

3. I tried to find info on the Peak Baltic but did not see it on their website. Am I missing something?

4. If I decided to try a larger light comparable in size to the 2AA Maglite for belt holster use in the 50$ range what would you recommend? How is the MillerMods L1P?

On all of these lights my main considerations are high brightness with reasonable runtime, as much throw as possible, and size(especially the AAA size lights to fit in with my Leatherman)

Once again thanks for all the help and for answering the same questions i know youve all heard a million times. I am a member of various forums where most people tell the new guys to "do a search". I am definately NOT an impulse buyer or have money to burn so much research is in order. Thank you for sharing your vast and impressive knowledge.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Nemas problemas.
2. I dont have the L0p SE myself, but since it is a Luxeon led unlike the ARC, it has more spot.
3. No idea, I have tried the same thing.
4. I haven't tried the MillerMods L1p, but wouldnt it be more reasonable to go for a 2AA light if youre going for a comparable size light to the 2AA minimag? :)
The Fenix L2T comes to mind with two stages, good throw and output on high, and reasonable batterylife on low (10hours IIRC).
Check it out at Quickbeams excellent review-site.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1t-l2t.htm
Or why not the MiniMagLED? If you don't mind the absense of a clickie,it's not a bad choice. http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_minimagled.htm
The liteflux LF1 seems to be a bargain too, considering what you get.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/liteflux_lf1.htm

Good luck!

thunderlight

Enlightened
Hi Charge,

If you wish to save money and need something with the brightness of an X1, consider the River Rock 2xAAA at Target for $10. Very easy to EDC and if you lose it, not a big deal. IMHO, outperforms the 2xAA MiniMag incandescent in every way in a package size and form comparable to a MiniMag 2xAAA.

A light similar in form to the 2xAA MiniMag is the Swiss Army / Victorinox 2xAA, more or less a metal version of the Inova 2xAA Radiant. Same form factor as a MiniMag and made by Inova, but definitely more expensive than the River Rock. There is a 2xAAA version as well, but I have no experience with that model. I would expect it to be similar to the output of the River Rock 2xAAA.

Apologize if I am repeating material in previous posts.