Groovy switch switch

wmpwi

Enlightened
This is kind of Groovy specific, but may have application for other lights I guess. The only thing about the Groovy that drove me (and some others I believe) nuts was the Krol switch. No ones falt, but it seemed ill suited for the driver which was difficult to control or switch between modes. There's a thread or two dedicated to the issue somewhere around here, but if you have one, you already know. Anyway, I saw a Terilux clickie and thought that may be my solution. It was for me and might be for the few Groovy owners that were equally frustrated by it as was I. Photos tell the story. Not a bad look for about $3.00 :)

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a Terralux IQ Switch I'm going to try on my Groovy waiting at home.

Hopefully it's a single-stage light engine... Come to think of it, that's a great way to get a UI of your choosing.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm... I can't find the IQ switch, and how the heck do you get the Kroll switch out of a Groovy?

I Deoxited everything electrical, and it's still flickering. Methinks it's the Kroll switch.

Last edited:

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I Deoxited everything electrical, and it's still flickering. Methinks it's the Kroll switch.

I can't confirm or disconfirm with any kind authority what you are saying but I can say that I agree with your findings. I've owned that very same Groovy, along with (3) Malkoff MD2 hosts......and every single one of the them had flickering. It's almost gotta be something to do with the Kroll. Either that or it's one super-strange coincidence. :sigh:

roguesw

Enlightened
Try to search the old post about fixing the kroll switches, these post if i remember correctly were from 2003/4???
there were a few ways of fixing connectivity problems with the kroll switches, ranging from aluminum foil to soldering wires.
Sorry, I cant do much at the moment, at work.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thing's seriously stuck. Is there a trick to it? Because of the shrouded tailcap, I can't grab it from the sides...

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sadly, your link is broken.

Happily, your trick worked - thank you Radio Shack and Leatherman for these wonderful pocket pliers.

Just bought a new IQ switch, and it appears to be a completely different design than my last lost and (briefly) lamented one - that one had a post-like switch slightly off-center and an LED on the other side; this one has a pair of bracket-shaped switches flanking a centered LED. No inductor coil is visible, either. Let's hope this one's lower-resistance than the old design.

Edit: the new IQ switch isn't compatible with my AWR revision 1 LDO regulator. D'oh.