Garrity 4D krypton bulb flashlight

Bee

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I know some of you must be laughing now... :sssh:

I'm starting to get tired of seeing this cheapo Garrity 4 D-cell flashlight lying there on a shelf.

It uses a small krypton bulb. This seems to have some decent throw, and being krypton is accurately reproduces color. However, when compared to my L0P, it immediately makes me wonder why I keep this huge Garrity light around.

I like to keep things that still work, but... would you just trash this light? I already have a 2C Maglite w/3W LED in the glove box... I EDC a 2A Minimag w/Nite-Ize LED drop-in in my messenger bag that rides with me at work daily. And the L0P.

So, trash or not? :candle:

InfidelCastro

Banned
why throw it if it works?

I use a 2D plastic Rayovac sometimes that I've had since I was 12. It has a Dorcy .93A xenon bulb in it now and it's plenty bright with a decent combination of throw and spill.

Bee

Newly Enlightened
The Everled is way too expensive for what it brings to an old flashlight.

What bothers me with the Garrity is it's large size, and the fact that it uses 4 D-cells which I never use anywhere else.

I might use the housing as a safe to hide valuables in ! (assuming potential robbers that could break in already have a flashlight and don't start looking for one, hahaha)

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I have a 2D Garrity G-Tech with an Everled. It's definitely my sleeper light of the house. But I use it quite a bit. My wife likes it too, she really likes the color temp of LEDs. With the semi-faceted reflector this makes an excellent combination for power outages. Sure the Everled cost way more than the light, but it was well worth it. I just really like the form factor of the G-Tech. I have a 2D mag with an SMJLED, and it works quite well, but I still like the G-Tech better. I can see where a 4D light is bulky. I only have one 4D mag myself, but I keep it in my car for emergencies and it doesn't get used much. Anyways, my point to all of this is the cheap lights with the proper mod can be quite useful. I'd say upgrade your 4D with some sort of LED drop in and keep it as a loaner light or for power outages. The NiteIze module is probably going to be your cheapest option.

Bee

Newly Enlightened
I realized there were cheap Nite-Ize LED upgrades for C and D cells Maglites. The LED upgrade seems to be compatible with the "PR Flange" bulb design.

Wonder if that should fit in the Garrity 4D ? It looks like it would. That appears more economical than the Everled and would be a nice upgrade compared to the krypton bulb. Still with the D cells, but 12-15$ is not a too expensive upgrade.

On the other hand, for 30 $ I can get another Fenix. Bah, choices choices...

Skibane

Enlightened
Hmm, a nice, efficient white LED running at 20 mA, a simple voltage regulator (LP2951 or similar), and 15+ amp-hours of alkaline batteries...

...ought to be good for several months of run-time, more or less.

This would make the perfect come-hell-or-high-water-I'll-always-have-light flashlight - The one that will absolutely, positively produce light when you hit the power switch.

If you're like me, you've probably got dozens of lights that are optimized for overall brightness, throw, spill, color temperature, size, weight, ergonomics, etc. Why not own one that's optimized for run-time?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Keep it! It works, why toss it?

A few years ago, before I carried any lights at all, I needed a flashlight one night. Stopped in at a small convenience store on my way home from work. All they had was bright orange, black bezeled, G.E. plastic 2-D lights. I think I paid $2 maybe $2.50 for it, and extra for 2 batteries. Wasn't even wrapped in plastic. I picked one out of a bin, more like a barrel. Used it, took it home with me, took it with me when I moved. Have it for almost 10 years now. Still works!

When I needed a light, and didn't have one, I bought it because it was all the store had. Every other store was closed for the night. The clerk behind the counter told me that he used it, had no complaints. Years later, I have to agree.

Last edited:

el_vato

Newly Enlightened
common sense (candlepower common sense that is..) if your gonna leave for emergency light with the Nite-ize then leave the batteries out of it, you might not use it for a long time. maybe the batteries in a package (new) or in ziploc baggie next to it. just a thought.

el_vato

el_vato

Newly Enlightened
If your gonna leave for emergency light with the Nite-ize then leave the batteries out of it, you might not use it for a long time. maybe the batteries in a package (new) or in ziploc baggie next to it. just a thought.

el_vato

Monocrom

Flashaholic
filkergem said:
Bee - my local ****'s Sporting Goods store has the Night Ize C/D LED upgrade for $9.99 - if you have one nearby, that would be a small improvement.

Target has them too.