Problem with CR2 Ion - I need advice

frank777

Enlightened
I just purchased a new CR2 Ion. The HIGH mode works just fine, but the LOW mode is quirky. Sometimes it works OK, and sometimes it flickers of goes out completely on LOW mode, even when I have turned the head until it is almost on HIGH. Other times, when turning the head, the flashlight goes from OFF to HIGH, skipping LOW mode altogether.

Video showing the problem: http://estado29.org/temp/

I purchased the flashlight from Photons International directly, but they have been VERY uncooperative about fixing the problem. They claim that their OWN batteries they supply with the flashlight (Battery Station brand) cause this problem.

Does anyone have any advice?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Try firmly re-seating the retaining ring on the light's pill. Also, clean all contacts really well. That's fixed it in the 3 lights I've had the chance to handle.

I've seen Endeavour recommending only Duracells for the Ion. :confused:

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had similar problems...cleaned the threads and relubed with silicone grease, still had the problem. Then I put in a brand new battery and all was well again.

JM-99

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Also i found batery rattle causes intermittent issues with low. I used single wrapping of paper round the batery and problem fixed.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two and use these kits
click here

Note that I do not use rechargeables.

I had problems with a BatteryStation battery, and did switch to Duracell with success. (Lubing and cleaning threads also was done)

Good Luck, I really enjoy mine and have a CR2 ION TiCree on order, as well!

jeffb

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
frank777,

I've been trying to work this out with you. I shipped the light out within 24 hours, I have been responding to your e-mails within minutes to troubleshoot the problem and I've offered that if it didn't work I'd replace the light. You have now threatend a charge back and you say I am uncooperative?

You've requested to return to flashlight for a refund, a request to which I have willingly obliged.

I am very disappointed to be called uncooperative when I have done my very best to try to help you, but I'm still willing to find a resolution to this matter with you. The ball is in your court, please continue your e-mail correspondence on this matter with me and we'll get it taken care of...

Best regards,

Enrique Muyshondt

frank777

Enlightened
I appreciate the suggestions from everyone here. Although I requested a replacement battery from Photons International as I DID wish to fix the problem, they instructed me to simply return the flashlight which I have done. I do apologize for having some of you "spin your wheels" for nothing on this one.

Hopefully, these posts will at least demonstrate to Photons International that there is a problem with some of the lights they are shipping out, be it sub-par batteries or dirty threads. I'll be going back to my ARC AAA for now; only $50 and not nearly as bright, but it has never flickered once from day one. I did like the Ion CR2 much better. If only it had functioned properly, it would have been my new EDC.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a similar problem before I was aware of this thread. My Ion is one of the original 50 preorders and I've been extremely pleased with the light since I received it. It didn't see a great deal of use because it was still thicker than what I wanted to carry in my pocket, so my ARC AAA remained my EDC.

Being in the 50+ crowd, my eyes require more light than they used to for just about everything in low light conditions, and it's gotten worse in the last year. For the last several months the CR2 Ion has been on a lanyard around my neck in the car and at home whenever it's dark, even in bed while sleeping.

It recently developed problems very much like Frank described. Flickering, skipping low, etc. I cleaned the threads like I do with the ARC, but that didn't take care of the problem. I tried a new Duracell even though the BS cell in it was not shot (I changed from the BS cell only because the new Duracell was handy - I didn't know there were any problems with the BS cells), but that still didn't resolve the problem.

I emailed Enrique and got a phone call from him the following day. He suggested the retaining ring fix that greenLED referred to. We had a very pleasant conversation and he sincerely apologized several times for my inconvenience. I didn't feel that he owed me any apology and told him so. If the fix didn't work, I was to email or call back and we'd do whatever was necessary to resolve it.

I tried the "fix" when I got home, and while it was better, it still didn't resolve all of the issues. I decided to clean the two contacts with Deoxit, even though they looked perfectly clean. I couldn't believe how dirty the negative contact was after applying the Deoxit although I still think that the problem was the positive switch. My guess is that the switch was dirty, oxidized, and "sticking" and the Deoxit did the cure.

The light is now noticeably brighter and works flawlessly. The on / off points are again perfectly consistent. I now know that my Ion will require periodic cleaning like my ARC does. No biggie, in fact, shame on me for not thinking that it would.

I couldn't ask for better customer service and a sincerely concerned attitude from Enrique - not surprised, after all, it is a nearly perfect light.

Shameless plug for Deoxit - if you don't have it - get it. The stuff is miraculous!