"Most Used" vs. "Favorite" Flashlights

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to add a little diversity to a Friday night and also aid Darell (with two ll's) in his speedy quest for 2000 posts.

For instances my favorite incandescent is the Surefire E2 for many reasons. Likewise my favorite LED light is the Arc LS. If I had to give up all lights, those are the two I'd keep. However in real life, the incandescent I use most is the Surefire 8AX. For myself, I don't need an outside flashlight on a regular basis and due to the rechargeable capabilities, the 8AX gets the most use. Likewise for LED the Eternalight Elite Xray is my most used LED light. It's very convenient, sticks to any metal surface and most important has a nice big easy to use switch. It's the light I most instinctively grab for.

I'm interested in hearing if other people's favorite lights are different from their most used lights.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
As a confesed flashaholic, I have many flashlights and most aren't used that often.
I like the features and designs of my Surefires (E1E, M3,M6) and the Inovas. The fact that they all use 123's is great because I can count on the lights being ready and able if I grab one. I carry and use my ARC AAA and LSS daily. My two favorite lights would probably be the M6 and LSS but I use the ARC AAA more than the rest combined.

This is a good question geepondy but if you get Darell on a roll he might spend the rest of his time prior to going to San Diego working on one, indepth response. Perhaps he could list his lights one post at a time.
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

What is LSS?

I use my Mini Maglite 2 AAA-cell all the time. I got a Surefire flashlight as a gift last fall. It's the one that holds 3 Lithium Batterys, Im not sure about the part number. It's bright but the batterys don't last long so it is expensive to run.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like your name & member #. I was going to do that, but I couldn't figure out how to get my member # to come up txwest...
grin.gif

My most used lights are ARC CPF & E2, as they are my EDC. My favorites.....that's tough. I have a couple a dozen folding knives, & I like them all. So I try to carry each one a couple of weeks a year. It's not that easy with lights, as I already have my EDC.

OK, help me out...I have an E2, (2)E2e's, (2)yellow G2's, black G2+T-head=G2T, 6P+A19=9P+T-head=9PT, M2, M3+T-head=M3T, 8X, 8NX, 12PM+ 3" T-head=12PMT(?), UltraStinger, Scorpion, SL 3C, SL Syclone, & the normal array of Maglites & other various lights. Now for the LED's: Lambda 2D/3C LS conversion, Wayne's DirectDrive, Nightbuster 8X, X5, Eternalight Marine & Rave 2, Daniel's 1AAA Legend conversion, SL Batonlight, Dorcey Cool Blue, Pal Suvivor, ARC CPF, (2)ARC SE's, More incadescents: PT Surge, TEC40, Rage, UK SL4 & Q4, 2 spot lights & a few I can't think of right now. Now how can you pick a favorite? I think one will be my ARC LS 1st when it gets here next month(??). What can I say, I like them all. TX

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've probably got somewhere between 250 and 300 flashlights, and obviously I simply can't use every single one, every single day. So I play "musical flashlights" quite a bit to rotate different ones into my "what I reach for" selection.

Not including thouse current under evaluation, these would be my favorites (those I might try to rescue first if I were to lose a bunch of them)
Arc-LS with royal blue LED
Prototype Arc-LS with white LED
Arc-AAA CPF model
"ArcFinity" mutant
Lambda Illuminator
Lightwave 3000
Surefire E2E
Light Cannon 100 HID
Eternalight Rave'n
Photon 3 with purple LED

Including those currently under evaluation, these are what I actually reach for most frequently when I need a flashlight in an unrehearsed, candid situation, even when many other flashlights are within easy reach:
Elektrolumens "Elektro Blaster"
Infinity with red LED
Arc-LS with white LED
Expedition 1900 Limited Edition Aluminum
"ArcFinity" mutant
Lightwave 3000
Mil-Tech Beam-Fire Quattro
Mini-mag with a "Flashlight Tuner" tailcap (used as a night light)
Surefire E2E
Eternalight Elite X-ray
Trek 400 EX40

When you have as many as 300 flashlights to choose from, trying to choose only as many as you can carry at once is quite difficult indeed.
tongue.gif

Big Tex

Enlightened
txwest, you can change your "displayed" name but not your "login" name.

Lambda Illuminator and UltraStinger are the "most used" lights but the Blaster is gaining ground. The ones I use are usually the "favorite lights".

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most used? Probably my Surefire 9N. It`s bright, it`s rechargeable, it`s holstered just there at my side and goes everywhere I do. Probably a close second is, for the last few weeks, my MiniMag with the Opalec NewBeam module fitted. I never used to carry a Mag but I have grown very fond of the NewBeam`s light- just the right amount for up close work and it`s regulated so it`ll stay that bright for ages and ages and ages. Goes everywhere I do too....

Favorites? Oh, that`s a tough one. 9N and NewBeam are up there in the pile at the top, as are the E2, Arc LS and Arc AAA (CPF special edition first, closely followed by EV turquoise, cos I love the turquoise light for use after dark- wide, quite smooth, bright but not toobright). I`m also really fond of the Surge, that one lives in my toolbox and is extremely useful. My Double-Barell "DB18" from Ebay last year is another I really like. And I don`t know why but I do enjoy my 3 million cp Johnlight "Search-Cop-2" aka the "BFT" (Big F***ing Torch) just cos it`s so big and bright, but I`m not sure if I could call it a favorite. Not exactly practical for daily carry
tongue.gif

If I had to name just one favorite? Very hard to say, but probably the Arc LS- so much light from so small a package, extremely tough, and the versatility of the three battery pack options is great (usually the "123" though, so small!). OK so it`s a "second" with a slightly wonky violet tinted beam, but I factor that in to my decision- I know the "first" will be fantastic.

Roll on November!

grin.gif
tongue.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Can I change my mind? I have a new EDC and I just don't think I can leave home without it! I think I'll sew belt loops on my jamies
grin.gif

M6-Ti-holster.jpg

If I hadn't joined this silly forum, this would never have happened
tongue.gif

bwcaw

Enlightened
My most used, and favorite light is the same light, the Arc SLS White, with 2 aa pack. It puts out the "right amount" of light for most things that I do, and is very
handy and easy to use (I carry mine clipped to my left pants pocket all the time) If I need more light I will grab my SF 8ax, or my M2. If I need to illuminate far away planets, or orbiting spacecraft, I will just use the EYEFRYER!
grin.gif
shocked.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by McGizmo:
Can I change my mind? I have a new EDC and I just don't think I can leave home without it! I think I'll sew belt loops on my jamies
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a light I've never tested. What is it? (I know it's a Surefire, but which one?)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The LED Museum:
That's a light I've never tested. What is it? (I know it's a Surefire, but which one?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a stock M6. I'll tell my wife that after Darell does me in for her to send it to you. Until then, it's not leaving my sight
grin.gif

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by McGizmo:

If I hadn't joined this silly forum, this would never have happened
tongue.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like we've hooked another one, boys. Reel him in..
grin.gif

Wow, that looks like a pretty slick setup for the M6.

Graham

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the rightfully legendary M6.

A work of Art, which projects a superb beam with either the 250 or 500 Lu LA's. Very simply designed, but functional and sculptural both. Made to the highest standards of reliability, with fine engineering too. A torch second to none.
I don't think I've ever read any real criticisms of it, whether on CPF or SFDB.

At the moment, using the 250 Lu option, it's both my most-used and favourite flashlight - because I've only had it for about 10 weeks.

I've just realised, Craig, you should review this - give me a while, and I'll arrange a loan of it.

lightlover

Brock

Flashaholic
Ohhhhh, Craig I will have to send you mine to play with, along with a bunch of batteries. It uses 6 123's. Hummmm what else can I send to you for a visit? Do I ahve anything else you don't?

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brock,
that might make more sense, with shipping costs considered, IF you can do without your M6 for a while. (I quite liked the idea of "my" M6 featured in The LED Museum's review, and seeing photos of it ... )

But that's something to look forward to, Craig reviewing a SureFire M6. Brock, I'll Paypal you for the batteries - I want to be involved in facilitating this little part of LightWorld history !

lightlover