Introducing the Surefire U2-S...

grnamin

Enlightened
"S" stands for "stubby" or "shorty". :D Take a U2 head and slap on a Surefire A21 adapter, and voila! You have a U2-S:

orig.jpg

...and yes, it does work (with 1xR123) :D I don't know what the runtime is, though.
standard.jpg

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a very interesting experiment. Has nobody else tried this?

I'd expect the run time at max output to be quite short, since a single R123 has less capacity than a primary cell, and you only have one cell vs the normal two.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd think it would run about the same length of time as a TW4 on a R123. Both the U2 (on max) and the KL4 draw about the same amount of current, give or take depending on the lottery.

grnamin

Enlightened
Ty_Bower said:
I'd think it would run about the same length of time as a TW4 on a R123. Both the U2 (on max) and the KL4 draw about the same amount of current, give or take depending on the lottery.

Maybe if a WW0S was installed into a U2-S, it might have slightly better runtime? :)

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
25min on level 6 doesn't seem unreasonable for a top shelf cell. Even if it's only 20, that's going on an hour and a half at level 4 and over five at level 2. (I got lazy and ordered mine from Surefire.)

jtice

Flashaholic
:eek:oo:

Sweeeeeet !
I have a 1 cell extender from LightHound, wonder if that will work. :thinking:

I really like that !!!
are you getting full Level 6 off just one cell though?

What would be cool also, is a Pila 150 sized pack that is twistie,
that would be about the same size, but have good runtime. :D

~John

greensilverado

Newly Enlightened
i looked at surefire's site but couldn't find the "a21". Lighthound does carry single cell extenders for "c" series lights. i wonder if it is the same. the threads are outside on one end and inside on the other end.

just my 2 cents:grin2:

grnamin

Enlightened
Kiessling said:
WOW !!!!
Did you try it on 1xCR123 primary cells?
I like that !!!
bernie

Hi Bernie,
I did and the U2 wouldn't power up at all. :D

Visible EM Wave said:
Where can I get a A21? I'm sure it will soon be out of stock because of this thread. :laughing:

I got one directly from Surefire. It was on backorder at first. Took about 2 months to fill.

If you do a search for "A21", you'll find it. No picture though.

I get all light levels on one R123. I tried it for only a few seconds.

Last edited:

grnamin

Enlightened
Thank you for your kind words. Just a flashoholic here in SF Legoland. :D I get 6 light levels on an R123, but for how long, I don't know.

grnamin

Enlightened
It's more like an adapter than an extender. If you put an A21 and and A12 together, you'll get an assembly that can hold 2x123 with a U2.

Latest posts