Thrift store find of the year?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Ahhhh, payday. A day for waiting in line at the bank, a day for pigging out on junk food I otherwise avoid, a day for thrift store shopping.

Almost picked up a nice VCR with remote and VCR+ for $9, but some older woman who looked like she wanted (or needed) it more than I did was seriously eyeballing it, so I let her have it and kept moving. Go to the back of the store, and on a large dolly I saw a pair of large, nice looking powered speakers. A thick black AC cord is wrapped tightly around each one. Pick one up - damn that's heavy. But they look in good - no wait - GREAT shape. A few little dings here and there, but hardly noticeable. A pink price sticker on it says $6.99 each. So I checked out the back of the speaker to see who makes them and what kind of inputs they have. Turns out they're Roland studio monitors with inputs for mic, line, and something else; and with an original price tag of $259.00 EACH still on them. Worn and faded, but on there nonetheless. I quickly grabbed the other one and headed off to the counter. The pink tags put on by the thrift store were half off today, so I actually got $520.00 worth of speakers for $7.00!

But the question remains: do these suckers still work? A stop by the local Rat Shack to pick up a pair of female RCA to male 1/4" phone plug adapters and an AC adapter for my new LED sign and then head home, where I set up my sign and promptly forget about the speakers. Fast forward to now, around 11pm. Plug the speakers into the wall, crack open the Rat Shack phone plug adapters, and hook my computer's Line Out to them. Damn those suckers are loud, and they have quite the dynamic range too. At this hour, I can't turn them above "2" without having somebody downstairs start beating on their ceiling with a toilet plunger handle. I could crank up an ordinary boom box to 6 or 7 without disturbing anybody even at this hour. But not these things.

Thrift store find of the year? Yes, undoubtdly so.
shocked.gif

(Last year's thrift store find of the year was a Pioneer laser disc drive in new condition for $6, and I also found a pair of Color Kinetics lights on Ebay for 50 cents plus $2 shipping).
smile.gif

Pays to snoop around musty old thrift stores every once in a while!
grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by yclo:
Congrats on the great find!

Pics?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

p4030002.jpg

p4030003.jpg

Not bad for $7 for the pair.
smile.gif

I don't know how they pulled it off, but even the highs come through clear & crispy despite the apparent lack of a tweeter. Don't be fooled by the plastic bodies. The cases are very thick and beefy, and a thick rubber gasket of some kind seals the system between the bezel and speaker body.

yclo

Flashaholic*
Bezel? Which part of the speaker is the bezel?

Maybe I've been around CPF too much, but I think of the end that light comes out when you said bezel.

Anyway, that looks to be in excellent condition!

YC

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by yclo:
Bezel? Which part of the speaker is the bezel?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most smaller speakers (though usually not the wood "home" speakers) have a boxy body and a "faceplace" onto which the actual speaker driver and other external parts are mounted. That faceplace would be the Bezel.
smile.gif

Anyway, that looks to be in excellent condition!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is in great shape, and so is the other one. (I got a two-for!)
smile.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, great find Craig! Damn, I wish we had thrift stores here in Newport, but all we have is the Pound store- cheap plastic junk, everything £1. And another place that sells secondhand TVs, VCRs, but not too cheaply- certainly nowhere as cheap as $9/VCR, etc...

At my old highschool we had a pair of almost identical speakers, except they were black and carried the "Boss" brand. I don`t know but I think Roland may have taken over Boss, or both be brand names owned by the same parent company or something.....

...anyways they were a great pair of speakers- tremendous quality and amount of sound from such a small unit. Magnetically shielded too so they could sit either side an Atari-ST (remember them- they were around at the same time as the Amiga 500) and monitor, that ran Midi sequencing software. But they were good enough to be used as PA speakers in the main hall once, only just though (it was quite a big hall).

----

Which reminds me- I still have to get a sound card for the new PC. Anyone know if any old ISA "Legacy" sound cards are still around? My PC only has 3 of the shorter PCI slots and two of them are filled (TV/video capture card and graphics driver). I think I`ll need the 3rd for when I upgrade to cable internet, I expect I`ll need a LAN adaptor or somet, and my current modem is an external serial kind. There are two ISA slots in there with nothing in them so I figured I`d try to get a sound card that fits one of them. I don`t need anything superb, I hardly use the sounds from the computer as it is, but it would be nice to use the CD drive to play music sometimes, to record/sample something from somewhere, or to hear audio clips on internet sites.

Any ideas? I also have two USB ports so possibly a USB device could work if such a thing exists....

(sorry for hijacking your thread Craig
grin.gif
)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
What a waste of perfectly good speakers...

p4030004.jpg

The yellow arrow points to the "volume" pot, on one of them, cranked as high as I can go without pissing off the neighbors. Just look at all the additional volume capability being wasted.
tongue.gif
At this volume setting (looks like "3" or so), everything around the computer table is vibrating, and not a hint of distortion to be heard. And already louder than I'd ever play music in this house. Damn, these speakers are kick-***. No wonder they're $520 a pair!!

Wonder if the PSU inside puts out 12 volts. If so, these would make a really kick-butt sound system for my wheelchair.
grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Put a glass of water on it, play something with heavy bass, and see if you can do a jurassic park.
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So far, what I've played hasn't been all that bass-rich. The music from Afterburner II (a coin-op video game made by Sega in the late 1980s), and a bunch of SID toons. I don't have any MP3s on this computer because they take half a day to download just one. :-/

I'll probably end up buying a second patch cord set so I can play my discman on them while I work. Combine the discman's mega-bass booster and the bass boost control on the speakers themselves, and I should have that glass in a million razor-sharp little pieces on the floor in no time flat.
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
Wow, great find Craig! Damn, I wish we had thrift stores here in Newport, but all we have is the Pound store- cheap plastic junk, everything £1. And another place that sells secondhand TVs, VCRs, but not too cheaply- certainly nowhere as cheap as $9/VCR, etc...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On this part of the planet
smile.gif
a "thrift store" is what you would call a "secondhand store". The names are functionally interchangeable. This is NOT the same as a "pawn shop" however. Pawn shops usually abound in used TVs, VCRs, watches, power tools, electronic instruments, electric shavers, cameras & lenses, stereos, and other assorted electrics. And their prices are typically much, much higher than those found in a typical secondhand store. That $9 VCR would easily sell for $70 to $120 in a pawn shop, as would these speakers. I honestly don't know why somebody would get rid of speakers like this. There's not a thing wrong with them, and for computer speakers, they're about the best speakers money can buy.

I also got there just in time. While waiting at the checkout, a guy stood in line behind me with a couple of typical "computer speakers" and said if he saw mine, he would have grabbed them in a second. So I came within probably a minute or two of being screwed out of them!
tongue.gif

I'm guessing somebody died and the contents of their estate ended up in the donation bin. hmmm....