To many commercials!

Spork

Enlightened
What tv services do people here use? Standard or digital cable? or a dish? These services cost 40 dollars + a month and the only thing that interests me is sci fi and the discovery/learning channels. The main grumble I have with it is all the commercials. I will be watching a really good show and then gets interupted so i can be informed about how aol is number one or a commercial with people blowing snot and coughing all over and which medicine you HAVE to take so you will feel better. I was watching an old western last night and every commercial break was WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU? (a ups commercial) I work there and already dislike the place enough so this was extremely irritating to me. If you spend 6 months of your life opening junk mail I wonder how many years people waste away with watching commercials. if im watching tv it means i probly dont have anything better to do but I value every minute of life and dont want to waste it watching commercials. I wish someone would put together a nation wide boycott and it wouldnt take long to get this crap off the air. but people today just dont care about anything like that. for 40 dollars a month you could rent a LOT of movies. Are there any tv services in the works that will let you pick and only pay for the channels you want? I live at home with parents and when I want to watch something i just record it from direct tv so I can speed through the commercials. Sci fi puts on some of my favorite shows that you cant rent otherwise that is a commercial full junk channel too. If I could pay for just discovery/sci fi then I would. I just spent nearly 200 dollars on Lexx dvd's so I could watch them all commercial free and uncut.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a BUD (big ugly dish) and there are providers that one can buy ala carte rather than a package. I buy the full package and still nothing to watch.
BTW, don't forget the History channel.
grin.gif

Spork

Enlightened
actually I thought about getting one of those a while back but a local store that used to sell them told me that small dishes were the future and blah blah blah. after looking on the net a big dish seems the best way to go. isnt the discovery channel free or was free? i heard sci fi was just a few dollars a month. 2000 dollars is a lot to pay for that setup but if im only paying maybe 10 a month for the channels I want it would pay for itself in just a couple years.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I use the CATV system internal to my building, which is fed by a large rooftop yagi and a distribution amplifier so it reaches the other 49 homes here with usable strength. It picks up 3 of our 15 or 16 local channels (sometimes 4), and LOTS of commercials. Every couple of minutes, I learn about cars, makeup, vaccums, allergy medication, disposable dooshes, underarm deodorant, pasta sauce, diapers, personal injury lawyers, flushable toilet wipes, mattresses, air freshener, home pregnancy kits, and hundreds of other products & services. Once in awhile, a TV program is actually shown.
tongue.gif

We do have cable here, but it's way overpriced for what you get, and even basic cable is beyond my means (it's close to $50 a month these days - it used to be $19). So understandably I don't spend a whole lot of time in front of the TV set. Having north-facing windows doesn't bode well for a discreet satellite dish installation either, so that's out of the question. I don't know how it is elsewhere in the country, but at this latitude you need a south exposure for satellite TV to work.

Spork

Enlightened
if I want to see something on regular tv I always try to record it so i can speed through the commercials. oh well. I guess for now I will just buy and rent movies until these places get their act together if they ever do. I can always sell the ones I don't want on ebay.