Maxtorch        
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: The Official Atwood collectors thread.

Default Re: The Official Atwood collectors thread.

Never really got into collecting Atwood tools. I loved the look of the Ti Pest, and still have mine. Other than it, and his Chigger model, I wasn't attracted to any other of Peter's offerings. Not so with his bladed models, but those command horribly obscene premiums on the secondary market.

Now I find that I really want an Atwood Hangman. Have recently found that belt-loop carry works best for me and my minimalist keychain set-up. Hey, if anyone is willing to part with their Hangman; send me a PM.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Any atwood fans that are still here?

Just quick question. Which do you prefer for your tools? Titanium or S30V? Pros and cons for each?

I read that S30V is more resistant to wear. But for me titanium is not really that bad. Or is it just me?

Still here.

I like Ti, but found out since my last post that the properties of titanium make them horribly poor for use as prybars. Other than that, still love 'em.
    Last edited by Monocrom; 07-25-2019 at 05:23 PM.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Is titanium too soft for prying?

No tools of this size in Ti work just fine. You'll break your fingers before the tool. I love my Ti Atwoods.

Thats what i thought too. But others prefer steel instead. AFAIK they prefer it because it is supposedly stronger than titanium. Anyways, i still prefer titanium.

Quote Originally Posted by RenG View Post
    Thats what i thought too. But others prefer steel instead. AFAIK they prefer it because it is supposedly stronger than titanium. Anyways, i still prefer titanium.

Actually, it's not that Ti is too soft. It's that Ti has no sheering strength. There's a reason you don't see larger Ti prybars. Yes, there's the cost aspect that comes with working Ti into a more traditional prybar shape. There's the market for larger prybars. Namely being down-and-dirty utilitarian use. But there is another aspect. One that stainless steel doesn't suffer from.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my Ti Atwood Pest. Still have it. Know exactly where it is, it's fantastic. But it's just the nature of Ti. Let's say you had a full-sized Ti prybar, and you were trying to pry open say, a car door. Your prybar is more likely to slip, even if you initially get a good purchase with it on the door. It's due to Ti's lack of sheering strength. It's going to slip out if you put significant pressure on it. Now if you're prying up something small, like a staple, with a very small Ti prybar; that's one thing. But even good old Ti has its limits.

Flashaholic

Any Atwood lovers out there still? This thread seems a little dead!
    I'd love to shed some light on that for you

Yup, still here.

Flashaholic

Ragman anodized work edc lately, love how it shifts colors as you turn it.
    I'd love to shed some light on that for you

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678