Inova 24/7 Water proof? If not then what?

zipster223

Newly Enlightened
I am looking into a Inova 24/7 light for Kayaking. Has anyone used these in a water situation? My concern is it may not be able to take a dunk or even sit in water for a few hours. I like the idea of this light because it looks very versatile but if it can not handle water then it's a no go. Any thoughts?

greenLED

Flashaholic
IIRC, it's "splashproof", not waterproof, and definitely not water resistant. How about a Glo-Toob FX, or maybe a larger, sturdier (sturdier than Glo-Toob? Is that possible?), brighter marine strobe?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Fenris said:
But I don't own one so I'd listen to greenLed.
Yeah, right! Trust my faulty memory... :green:

Tell ya, what, if nobody else confirms/denies the rating, I'll dunk my 24/7 over the weekend and see how it responds. Even better, I'll let my "testing department" take it for a spin in the tub. If it breaks, you pay the replacement.

:laughing: (just kidding on the replacement part)

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at the HydroStar by Seattle Sports (google it, many sites sell it). I am an avid Kayaker and own both the 24/7 and the Hydrostar. Regardless of the claims, I am skeptical about the 24/7 being waterproof. It is a great light, no question, however due to the nature of its design (turning the "bezel" for operation) it would seem that water would be a no no (but I usually have it with me anyway :grin2: ).

The HydroStar is nice as it has several modes of brightness, a strobe setting, green/red navlight function and it sticks to the deck of your kayak with a suction cup. Inside the suction cup base is a magnet that holds the light secure but allows for easy removal for use as a tent light, small area light etc. I have dunked mine in the drink multiple times without any trouble.

By the way, I also own a whole bunch of Glo-toobs and they rock:rock: . You can use them for all sorts of tasks (marker light, reading light, small tent lantern, dive light, hang them on the kids or the dog at night to keep track of them, etc.),they are totally waterproof, bright and very small and packable.
Hope this helps!

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one (or two) and I believe that these were NOT claimed to be waterproof...as a matter of fact I believe I remember one test that PROVED they were NOT waterproof--one spent considerable time drying off before it began working again...

Karl

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm "game"!! Hold your 24/7 under water for say, 15 minutes and then post here and let us all know what you have discovered! You've certainly gotten my curiosity whetted!!

Karl

zipster223

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I think I'll just look for a waterproof headlamp with a strobe option if one even exists.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the Eternal X-ray elite---floats with Lithiums, many modes, many light levels and strobe speeds, doesn't require you to get a second job, looks like a Star Trek phazer, won't break your heart if used and scratched. I have 1/2 dozen in all areas of my home and work. Not a headlamp but, maybe you can rig something up.

Karl

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of these so called water resistant lights will eventually leak after prolonged exposure to water. Particularly those with clickie tailcaps. For kayaking in the dark I would not trust anything other than a dive rated light.

I say go for the princetontec impact XL. It's not especially small or bright but it is dive rated to 100m and has a good runtime and shock resistance. You could use this as a backup or secondary light to your headlight.

greenLED

Flashaholic
g_man said:
WiseLED. These are rated dive lights. Just mucho $$$$
Did you see their rating at flashlightreviews? Regardless, I wouldn't take an unproven light on a water trip.

Canuke

Enlightened
It is a great light, no question, however due to the nature of its design (turning the "bezel" for operation) it would seem that water would be a no no (but I usually have it with me anyway ).

The switching is actually done via reed switches inside the device, activated by magnets in the outer ring. I verified this by being able to "mess up" the light's operations by using a large rare-earth magnet to overpower the built-in ones.

That ought to have permitted Inova to really seal it up... that's why I've been surprised to hear this thing isn't as waterproof as it could be with a design like that.

thunderlight

Enlightened
The 24/7 is being sold for around $28 at the North Phoenix Costco and I noticed that the box says "waterproof design" if I recall. Definitely said "waterproof" not water resistant.

[I'm impressed by the fact that it has a reed switch mechanism. I have one, but I had not been aware of that.]

Duff72

Newly Enlightened
I can assure you that the 24/7 is waterproof. I let my nephews play with the 24/7 in the swimming pool for several hours. only tested to five feet deep though

g_man

Newly Enlightened
I have the Street. Left it at the bottom of a 10 ft. deep pool of an hour. No problems at all. I think it is a great light. Would I buy it for the purpose of a dive light? No. Lots of cheaper options out there.

greenLED said:
Did you see their rating at flashlightreviews? Regardless, I wouldn't take an unproven light on a water trip.

tracker870

Enlightened
$28, that's a good price.
I've never had my 24/7 underwater, just out in the rain..
From using it & looking at the design, it seems more like "splashproof".