M6 - Impressive Recovery

brightnorm

Flashaholic
For the past week and a half I've been carrying my M6 (500L) everyday in order to see how often it can be used for brief periods before losing significant brightness. I've never thought of the M6 as an EDC light (and still don't, at least for civilians) but the Blackhawk pouch makes it remarkably comfortable and convenient.
web page

In the past ten days I've used it literally dozens of times for periods ranging from about 5 seconds up to about 30 seconds. I didn't write up the length of the burns nor count their number, but I believe that the above figures are at least reasonably accurate.

I was very surprised to find that at the end of that 10 day period there was little if any discernable dimming. Unfortunately I don't have another M6 with fresh batteries to compare it with, and I wasn't about to reload with six more Surefire 123's. BTW, I originally loaded the M6 with fresh, late-date Surefires measured at a minimum of 3.20v each. I believe that attention to voltage makes a difference.

Another interesting (to me, at least) observation was that when I conducted similar tests with my Asp Triad/Taclite and my SF 6P/G2 with P61's they didn't fare quite as well as the M6; they became observably (but not excessively) dimmer.
I think that the battery drain would be quite similar (proportionally), so what would account for that difference? (assuming I didn't somehow unknowingly skew the test).

Aside from all this testing and measuring I was struck once again by the M6's unusual combination of sheer power, remarkably small size (really not much bigger than an ordinary 2-D flashlight), and genuine physical beauty. It really is a masterpiece of function and design.

Best regards,
Brightnorm

PS PK, did you design the M6?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I agree!

The M6 performs like no other SureFire [can]
Running the N62 and the MN21 side-by-side shows an obvious advantage is taken of those two extra SF123As.

And, with the pouch, the M6 is far easier to carry.

Al

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm,
I noticed the same, the M6 seems to go on for much longer/brighter than you'd expect, before dimming down for the last few seconds of the battery pack's life.
Maybe it's because the LA actually runs at 9V from 6x 123's, so it's a higher amperage supply ? (Or whatever you call it.)

Yes, it is a pure PK design, but he must have had the inspiration of the Great Spirit upon him.

Incidentally, you're going to have to refill it at some point, so just put in the 123's for a moment, to check it out against the others ?

lightlover
wink.gif
smile.gif

LightBright

Enlightened
Brightnorm, I thought you had a good light meter to take measurements with(?). One brightness test at the start and then later as you cared to would seem to be the way to answer your curiosity.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LightBright:
Brightnorm, I thought you had a good light meter to take measurements with(?). One brightness test at the start and then later as you cared to would seem to be the way to answer your curiosity.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LightBright,

I'm embarassed to say I don't have a light meter. Can you recommend a good inexpensive one?

Best regards,
Brightnorm

LightBright

Enlightened
Good and Inexpensive don't seem to exist. Ask Brock if he has any ideas. A while back there was one called a FX-101 for about $35 mentioned on the forum , which I can't find anymore. They seem to be $150 or so and up. When I get one, I'll make sure it's the type that can be calibrated to national standards.
wink.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad to hear the M6 is so good at 500 lumen, because I'm not impressed with the 12PM with the MN62. I think the MN61 appears brighter. IMHO, 4 123's won't drive a 500 lumen lamp. It just knocks them in the dirt. TX

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kogatana:
txest
The family member helping me asked me to post the following question of you.
"From what measurement technique are you deriving your conclusion or opinion?"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I must admit that my observation is strictly visual....and not from the end of the light that gives you the BIG WHITE SPOTS.
SHOCKED.gif
SHOCKED.gif
TX

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kogatana:
I've been busy preparing an article describing a flashlight-assisted handgun shooting grip using Surefire Turbohead, long-body lights.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

KT,

Is this for a magazine, or is it something you can post here or at SF Forum?

Brightnorm