Recommendation for a Maglite 4D replacement

UndeniablyGod

Newly Enlightened
I've done a lot of searching around and the options are so numerous its giving me a migraine. ;)

Basically, I bought my dad a 4D Maglite several years back. He liked it very much, but it quit working. This Christmas I want to surprise him with a light that will be equal to or an improvement in the following areas: Durability, brightness, battery life and throw. Something smaller will be okay, but I'm sure he likes the solid feel and heft of the Mag.

He goes out at night and uses the light around the farm for many purposes.

Thanks. :)

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello UndeniablyGod and welcome to CPF:)

What are you willing to spend?

The improvements goes from a Mag-Led drop in over multiple Luxeon drop-ins (mods about this), mods like Mag85.....ROP up to HID-lights.

Best regards

____
Tom

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Much as I find your choice of a screen name offensive, Welcome to CPF!

Your dad's Maglite is covered under warranty and will be repaired/replaced by Mag at no charge, unless it's something that isn't covered like the batteries or the bulb. If you could get it repaired/replaced by Mag, you could put it back into service and maybe replace the bulb with the Mag LED module for even better performance.

Other than something that is rechargeable, bright smaller lights generally use CR123 batteries that may be a bit expensive and probably not suitable for use around a farm (and that doesn't even include dropping and losing a smaller light.) You might, however, want to look at replacing the 4 cell Mag (while it's getting replaced) with a 3 cell LED version (which is actually a little brighter.)

UndeniablyGod said:
I've done a lot of searching around and the options are so numerous its giving me a migraine. ;)

Basically, I bought my dad a 4D Maglite several years back. He liked it very much, but it quit working. This Christmas I want to surprise him with a light that will be equal to or an improvement in the following areas: Durability, brightness, battery life and throw. Something smaller will be okay, but I'm sure he likes the solid feel and heft of the Mag.

Thanks. :)

UndeniablyGod

Newly Enlightened
Much as I find your choice of a screen name offensive
My apologies! It was never my intent to offend anyone and let me be the first to say that my name is entirely incorrect. :)

You might, however, want to look at replacing the 4 cell Mag (while it's getting replaced) with a 3 cell LED version (which is actually a little brighter.)
I like the 3 cell idea - this might be perfect. I would assume it is probably a little smaller, its brigther and its LED... which I'm guessing is more efficient. He'll also appreciate the Maglite 'feel', assuming it is simliar in design as the incandescent models. I'll do some research on this.

The improvements goes from a Mag-Led drop in over multiple Luxeon drop-ins (mods about this), mods like Mag85.....ROP up to HID-lights.
This sounds really interesting. Being a gift however, I'd like to give him something new in the box. My mom also just mentioned he may have lost it... :ohgeez:

You know, I never really considered such a thing though and I might be interested in improving my Mag 2AA and 1AAA with such upgrades (assuming they are available for these models). I'll search around.

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I don't know a lot about flashlights, but I found your forum maybe a year ago while looking for good rechargeable batteries. I bought some Amondotech and I've been very satisified. I've visited many times since, just cruising through the posts (mostly battery related). There's a lot of information to soak up here!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the MiniMags, you'll want to look at the 2 and 3 AA versions that are now out in many/most stores that carry Mag products. If the difference in brightness and output quality doesn't totally knock you off your chair ... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

UndeniablyGod said:
You know, I never really considered such a thing though and I might be interested in improving my Mag 2AA and 1AAA with such upgrades (assuming they are available for these models). I'll search around.

UndeniablyGod

Newly Enlightened
Oh, my budget wouldn't be a lot. I might spend up to around $50 or so, but I could spend a little more for something he might really like.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be able to find that Mag LED for somewhere in the $30-35 neighborhood. Home Depot has the 4 cell for $29.99, but you really don't need something of that size and can probably do fine with a 3 cell.

UndeniablyGod said:
Oh, my budget wouldn't be a lot. I might spend up to around $50 or so, but I could spend a little more for something he might really like.

InfidelCastro

Banned
How about a 6V lantern light? I really like those for outdoors stuff. I use the alkaline batteries.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard to beat the 4D Mag LED in terms of cost effectiveness.

I have several lights in this class but reach for Mag most often. Best throw and lots of spill.

Either that, or when a smaller light is needed, go for ElektroLumens Blaster. But the Blasters were more expensive, and have been obsoleted.

Maybe try 2D or 3D if 4D is too big?

photonhoer

Newly Enlightened
UndeniablyGod said:
This Christmas I want to surprise him with a light that will be equal to or an improvement in the following areas: Durability, brightness, battery life and throw. Something smaller will be okay, but I'm sure he likes the solid feel and heft of the Mag.

If he can change from the feel of the 4D in his hand (I'm 64 and recognize a certain unwillingness to change), the Streamlight Poly Pro Luxeon (NOT 7 led) will give him MUCH MORE illumination and lighter weight than the 4D, and it costs about $30.00. It uses AA batteries, so they are just as available anywhere as the Ds. I use one for farm chores every day and it is much more versatile than my Mag85 or anything except my headlamps - but a headlamp might be a greater stretch than he can make.

PJ

Enlightened
Flashlightreviews.com has reviews on all the Mag LEDs and almost any other flashlight you may be considering.

Mag LED D-cell lights are physically the same as incan. lights. I'm pretty sure they even come with an incan. bulb in the tailcap. A 3D Mag is the same form and diameter as the 4D, just shorter by about one battery length.

The nice thing about a 4D Mag LED is its flat output of about 42 hours before dimming. Look for the last graph towards the bottom of the article on the D-cell Mags. It shows the light output and runtimes of the LEDs and compares them to a 3D incan.

UndeniablyGod

Newly Enlightened
Wow, great site. Thank you very much for the link.

The LED Mag looks much better than the incandescant Mag. I think my dad is going to like it very much.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two of the best values for the money: (1) www.ledbeam.com they have a great special on now...$22 and free shipping...it's my most powerful LED at the moment. (2) the Streamlight propoly Luxeon models....either the 4aa or the 3 c-cell...long run times strong smooth beam... I showed my 4aa to my girl friend and can't get it back!