"Archive/Reference" Topics (Draft Procedural Note).

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everybody, please comment on this suggestion. (Brock and DavidW have approved the testing of this idea)
We need some kind of easier access to particular specifics and ideas, and having an Archive/Reference section has often been suggested. But how to put it together ?

I'm thinking along these lines: if someone does a comprehensive and interesting or notable search, then save it, and post the details for others to refer to ?
If these topics are posted in Forum - The CAFÉ, initially, we can then see what becomes of the idea. (Also, the Café could use some intellectual mass ... )

It would be very important to choose an appropriate title, something which will make sense to anyone new to the board, to describe the subject. Use "Archive/Reference - xxxx xxx xxxxxxx" to head it and indicate the idea. Headed "Archive/Reference -", it would be easier to search for.
A major difference between these and other CPF Topics is that the A/R topics would not be intended to be discussion topics, but dedicated for reference. How we manage to get around that point, I don't know ......

Also, as an "Archive/Reference -" topic, some Moderator editing may be necessary, only for the sake of clarity. How would we prevent less useful stuff cluttering up the board ? It may be that some sort of pre-approval would be necessary ......

In an "Archive/Reference" topic resulting from a search, we would have to ensure that easy cross-referencing is possible. If you post something that came from another member, or a quote, I think we should ensure that everyone gets full credit, like this:
record who contributed the info, the member's display name
include links to the old topics, (post the link itself).
include the original topic headings
put a brief description of what's covered on the subject in that topic
(Perhaps leave the link as readable, rather than in the style of "web page" or "click here".)

As an example (pretend links only) say:

-----------------------------------
"Archive/Reference Lanyards and Retainers."

1. Link to carbon-fibre lanyard, posted by Rocket Scientist, in
Topic: Luxury goods! @
candlepowerforumsURLtook_me_ages_to_find_this_info_again

2. Info on retracting lanyards, posted by Mr. MemberNo1, in
Topic: Retracting lanyard sale at Botach ! @ candlepowerforumsURLyou_get_the_idea

3. Posted by ABC-123, in her
Topic: Nomex hand-crafted wrist-holder, @ candlepowerforumsURLand_so_on_etc

-----------------------------------
That's maybe one possible way to build up a store of knowledge ?

I'll start an example of this idea off with this:

There is always a question of "Candlepower, compared to Lumens ?" every few months. Each time this is raised, someone posts much the same thing anew, or refers the enquirer to search for topics with those terms in the heading.
The difference between the two forms of light output rating took me some time to grasp. I studied the different examples given, and then one finally sank in. I'll post the one that made most sense to me, and then other members can post their favourite analogies, whatever made sense to them individually. And learned people who have posted explanations that they researched can copy and paste them in from old topics.

So between all of us, we should be able to answer the question from several different angles.

Nearly duplicate posts can be encouraged here, (to some degree) because for this, there are
- beginners
- intermediate, and
- advanced
explanations. As long as the topic is exhaustively covered in one place, post away ......

As an example, see "Archive/Reference - Candlepower versus Lumens", by *something ridiculous ? @ http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=22&t=000384

lightlover

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Great Idea and well thought out post on Lu VS CP. I assume you/we don't want this type of post in the Archive Topic so I put it here. Having a source for in-depth info that is all on topic (no offence Darel/Graham) is a wonderful idea.
So is there talk about putting a new forum up for this? I think it would need to be closely moderated though. Maybe allow the Topic Starter to request a "poster" to change or delete their post.
Thanks *something ridiculous ?

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi witsend, thank you for your kind words.

I don't know if we will get a new forum for this. At least at the start, we can do a search for "Archive/Reference" easily enough, or find it in the Café easily enough.

Yes, the idea is to work out the procedure/details here in this topic. Like you say, the archive stuff may need some editing, which members could find intrusive.
But to build up a serious knowledge base, we'll have to see how it goes.

BlackBart,
just in case you were wondering, the sample examples I posted above (about lanyards etc.) were composed ages ago. (Those examples were sent to Brock and the Boss months ago, then I lost a lot of e-mails.)It's a strange co-incidence. But your topic could be a reference resource in this spirit. Since you've been involved in that topic, any thoughts ?

lightlover