Custom M*g Light with Cree LED and Dorcy deep reflector ...

wquiles

Flashaholic
On another Cree-related phost, somebody mentioned that the deep reflector in the Dorcy 3D 1W LED light could be a good potential reflector for the the new Cree becuase the Cree seems to benefit from them.

IMG_7450.JPG

IMG_7451.JPG

I just got 3 XR-E LED's (mounted on stars), so I will try to try it soon, but I wanted to share how really deep these reflectors really are!!!

For my own McG45 custom light I am already using a very deep reflector, the superb 45mm from Don :rock: , as used in the HD45 LED light.

In order to make this reflector work I had to "push" the LED/heatsink deep into the body, as when the head is screwed into the body, part of the reflector is literally inside the main body!

To see how it would work in my current McG45 prototype, I fitted the Dorcy reflector to a standard M*g C head and compared to one of my McG45 heads:
IMG_7439.JPG

Note that the Dorcy reflector is even deeper than the 45mm reflector:
IMG_7440.JPG

IMG_7441.JPG

This is how the McG45 head looks like at optimum focus, from the top and from the side:
IMG_7443.JPG

IMG_7444.JPG

and here is how the Dorcy looks like in the same exact body:
IMG_7447.JPG

IMG_7449.JPG

These beamshots are still using the McG45's W-bin 5W LED, but should be good enough for now to compare the two reflectors (as always, Canon Rebel XT, kit lens on wide angle, all manual exposure/focus):

Dorcy reflector:
IMG_7452.JPG

45mm reflector (note the center is wider, as well as having a slightly wider beam and a little bit better transition from center to sidebeam):
IMG_7453.JPG

And aimed at a different target:
Dorcy reflector:
IMG_7454.JPG

45mm reflector:
IMG_7455.JPG

I will "try" to modify another 1C host and modify one of my McG45 custom heatsinks to work with the Cree star so that I can have a comparison on both of these reflectors ;)

Will

Last edited:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Dorcy deep reflector ... good for new Cree?

I have a beat up Dorcy at work that will soon be ready to strip for parts.

How do you get the reflector out of the head? The front of the head looks to be rolled over the reflector and lens. Does the head have to be cut out to remove the reflector?

I am planning to use it in conjuction with some deep bezels that I have extra from FiveMegas run of deep reflectors.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Dorcy deep reflector ... good for new Cree?

wow, I had no idea how deep they were!!! That sure does focus the LuxV more than the HD45 reflector!!! Wowziers. I bet the Cree will do great!! You should take the cree off the start and make it on a post so it goes deep enough into the reflector.. That way less cutting on teh reflector to find optimal focus.

But maybe it will focus without going far into the reflector?

wquiles

Flashaholic
Re: Dorcy deep reflector ... good for new Cree? Light completed!

Sorry it took a while to get back to you guys - I was actually building a complete light to test the reflectors !!!

I tested one of George's MaxFlex with a new Cree and a single 18650 cell. Although quite possibly in DD most of the time, it was simple and quick to use this driver. On this Cree I am pushing 1Amp, which matches well with the 1Amp in the McG45 prototype using the W-bin 5W luxeon.
IMG_7459.JPG

First made one of my proto HS's flat:
IMG_7464.JPG

IMG_7465.JPG

Drilled extra holes for the wires (the ones for the emiter will not work in a star:
IMG_7467.JPG

Test fit:
IMG_7468.JPG

Used my centering jig to get the LED centered to the HS:
IMG_7470.JPG

IMG_7471.JPG

IMG_7472.JPG

Ready for assembly:
IMG_7474.JPG

all wired up:
IMG_7476.JPG

IMG_7477.JPG

This is the new host that I had to create for this "experiement":
IMG_7479.JPG

IMG_7481.JPG

It's alive !!!:
IMG_7480.JPG

IMG_7482.JPG

Beamshots: These are darker since they were shot at faster speeds to try to show more of the artifacts. All with Canon Rebel XT, manual exposure (0.5Sec/F5.6, which is faster than my usual 2.0Sec/F5.6 since I wanted to show artifacts):

1C, MaxFlex (1Amp), Cree LED, Don's 45mm "textured" Al reflector:
IMG_7496.JPG

1C, MaxFlex (1Amp), Cree LED, Dorcy deep plastic smooth reflector (more artifacts):
IMG_7497.JPG

McG45 Prototype: 2C, DD 1.1Amp, 5W Luxeon W-bin LED, Don's 45mm "textured" Al reflector:
IMG_7498.JPG

McG45 Prototype: 2C, DD 1.1Amp, 5W Luxeon W-bin LED, Dorcy deep plastic smooth reflector (note more artifacts):
IMG_7500.JPG

It is hard to see in these pictures, but the Dorcy reflector "does" show more artifacts. All in all, un-obtanium 45mm reflector is "KING", but the Dorcy does a very good job, and would be almost perfect if it where "sputered" or textured ;)

Will

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good Job Will :)

Did the MaxFlex work? I'm scared to use them now as in my last application I wasted 4 hours troubleshooting only to find out about the MaxFlex bug.

Mac

Nebula

Enlightened

Will - excellent work as always. Nice beamshots. It is nice to see that the McG45 is still kicking butt. That said, the cree looks very nice! I see my next mod.

To anyone else reading this post - I am just a little biased. Other than Will's proto, I own the only procuction McG45 2C (there are three 1C lights in production). This light is amazing. It is built like a tank! Will's very creative way of "fitting" these "long" reflectors in the Mags is nothing short of ingenious. If you can talk him out of it, I highly recommend the prototype light. You will not be disappointed - especially now that Will has worked his magic with the cree.

Kirk

ICUDoc

Enlightened

I learn a lot when you show us the series of proto photos, Will.
Thanks for that.

dimlight

Newly Enlightened
i have two of the dorcys that i put t-bins in.i run them drict drive of the 3 d's. do you know what mah thet would put out the the led. because i want to cree or k2 them,or would i be better with a u-bin.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Very nice job.

Thank you for doing this. I was the one who first asked about using the Dorcey with the Cree (as far as I know anyway).
Now if I just had your modding skills I would be all set. :ohgeez:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Additional beamshots outdoors. Same camera as above, still on wide angle, but this time exposure back to 2sec/F5.6:
McG45 Prototype: 2C, DD 1.1Amp, 5W Luxeon W-bin LED, Dorcy deep plastic smooth reflector (note that it has a focused beam compared to the 45mm reflector below):
IMG_7502.JPG

McG45 Prototype: 2C, DD 1.1Amp, 5W Luxeon W-bin LED, Don's 45mm "textured" Al reflector:
IMG_7503.JPG

1C, MaxFlex (1Amp), Cree LED, Dorcy deep plastic smooth reflector (again, a more intense focus with the Dorcy reflector, compared to the 45mm below):
IMG_7504.JPG

1C, MaxFlex (1Amp), Cree LED, Don's 45mm "textured" Al reflector:
IMG_7501.JPG

And finally, side by side: On the left is the McG45 with its 45mm reflector. On the right the Cree with the Dorcy reflector. Yep, the Cree/Dorcy has a more intense hotspot and more sidebeam!. Also, althoug it does not affect the usability of this combo, there is a distinct, almost faint dark "ring" on the Cree/Dorcy which is hard to capture on camera.:
IMG_7505.JPG

Will

wquiles

Flashaholic
cmacclel said:
Good Job Will :)
Did the MaxFlex work? I'm scared to use them now as in my last application I wasted 4 hours troubleshooting only to find out about the MaxFlex bug.
Mac
Thanks Mac :eek:

I would still recommend against using the MaxFlex for any "permanent" mod - this particular one was not epoxied in place so I can relatively replace the driver easily. I am 110% sure George will fix them, but for now it was just an easy/convenient driver to use since on my bench I never got any more than 1040mA which I felt was "safe" ;)

Nebula said:
Will - excellent work as always. Nice beamshots. It is nice to see that the McG45 is still kicking butt. That said, the cree looks very nice! I see my next mod.

To anyone else reading this post - I am just a little biased. Other than Will's proto, I own the only procuction McG45 2C (there are three 1C lights in production). This light is amazing. It is built like a tank! Will's very creative way of "fitting" these "long" reflectors in the Mags is nothing short of ingenious. If you can talk him out of it, I highly recommend the prototype light. You will not be disappointed - especially now that Will has worked his magic with the cree.

Kirk
Thanks much Kirk for your kind words :eek:

I am very happy to hear that you still like the McG45 ;)

ICUDoc said:
I learn a lot when you show us the series of proto photos, Will.
Thanks for that.
You are welcomed - that is why I like posting the intermediate pictures ;)

KDOG3 said:
Good gravy thats a tight hotspot! LOL!
IsaacHayes said:
wow that dorcy is a throw king!
Yes, although the reflector is not perfect and it does have some artifacts present.

dimlight said:
i have two of the dorcys that i put t-bins in.i run them drict drive of the 3 d's. do you know what mah thet would put out the the led. because i want to cree or k2 them,or would i be better with a u-bin.
I have not tried that yet, so I don't know. This was my very first Cree-related project - still lots to learn ;)

LifeNRA said:
Very nice job.
Thank you for doing this. I was the one who first asked about using the Dorcey with the Cree (as far as I know anyway). Now if I just had your modding skills I would be all set. :ohgeez:
Well then thank "you" for the idea - it was a fun and rewarding project ;)

NewBie said:
Amazing, the 5W W bin is pushed 10% harder for current, and is utilizing 2x the voltage, for twice the power consumed.

Hint: if you get a chance, toss the MCPCB.

BTW, great job!
Thank you much :eek:

Yes, it is very impressive how much light comes out of the Cree with 1/2 of the power. My neighbor, who incidentally owns the house used for the outdoor shots (who does not mind since he is a flashaholic as well!) commented that although the McG45 had a perfect beam with uniform transitions, the Cree/Dorcy was a great light to have/own ;) .Of course this means that I might have to make something for him :naughty:

Regarding the stars, yes, I will definitely follow your advice on this one - absolutely. I have some emiters on order and I already have a modified heatsink that will work with a bare emiter ;)

Will

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone find a source for these reflectors other than ripping apart the dorcy light itself?

I'm sure the demand would be high.

Raybo

Enlightened
Will,

Going from your pictures you should be a "hand model".

I don't feel so bad about how bad my hands look, we are neck to neck.

;)

wquiles

Flashaholic
IsaacHayes said:
Can anyone find a source for these reflectors other than ripping apart the dorcy light itself?

I'm sure the demand would be high.
My thoughs exactly :naughty:

Plus with a little bit of "sputering", there would be no artifacts - the beam would be a perfect match for the Cree !!!

Will