QUAD XR-E PTS Heat Sink for Mag possible?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Figured I'll give it another shot!

Once the MaxFlex and XR-E Q2 emitters roll in, I'll be ready to put my HA-III 8AA Mag together. I have all the other goodies and want to put four XR-E LEDs with McR19 reflectors in the Mag head. Alas, there are no heat sinks available to do such a thing. Figured there are two ways to do this, get one made or modify a PTS 2D sink so the emitters will fit.

Any plans (Modamag, Kiu or PEU?) for a Quad heat sink for Mags for the very efficient Cree XR-E LEDs? Four of them at 500mA will give me 500 lumens at less than 7 watts. Three of them will give me 450 lumens at 7 watts but I prefer the better cooling ability by spreading out the heat sources to 4 emitters VS 3. A little more light, a little less power and much better heat capacity is what I am going for. Longer life of the LEDs thrown in for that added bonus.

For those that have PTS 2D heat sinks, could I cut off the top of the heat sink and use the flat bottom plate of a CPU heat sink and bolt/epoxy them together? I have four McR19 reflectors, plenty of XR-E LEDs and want to stuff them all in my HA-III Mag. :(

Any plans out there for a PTS-type heat sink with a flat top for the XR-E emitters? How much would it cost to get one made?

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new PES2 (Tri/Quad Luxeon Emitter) heat sink have just finished machining. It's now in my garage and ready for distribution.

As for Cree XR-HS, Benthead have you seen this post?

Yes you can chop down the PTS2 HS, which will make a workable solution but not elegance. The stars or emitters are floating all over the place. And we're now pushed back 2 years in term of ease of use.

In ~ 2-3 weeks a new batch of PXR-C/D-19 heatsink will be available which will allow self centering of the Cree XR-E. Until then dremel away my friend.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, I can't wait!

Where can we get hold of these heatsinks? Will they be appearing in the shoppe?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
modamag said:
The new PES2 (Tri/Quad Luxeon Emitter) heat sink have just finished machining. It's now in my garage and ready for distribution.

As for Cree XR-HS, Benthead have you seen this post?

Yes you can chop down the PTS2 HS, which will make a workable solution but not elegance. The stars or emitters are floating all over the place. And we're now pushed back 2 years in term of ease of use.

In ~ 2-3 weeks a new batch of PXR-C/D-19 heatsink will be available which will allow self centering of the Cree XR-E. Until then dremel away my friend.

Modamag,
So you are making PXR-D-19 heat sinks that will hold four XR-E's on Stars or emitters? If so, I'll let the dremel get some sleep and eagerly await your new creations. Will they be available at the Shoppe or directly from you?
I've been messing with my P3 emitters and successfully nuked a BB500 sandwich and a few XR-E's! :( It was really bright until the modded IMS 20 forced the wires into the minimag. Live and learn...all part of the fun I guess.
I can wait a few weeks, I have Q2's on order and the MaxFlex is delayed into December. Those are delayed a few weeks so it will all come together in time for the Winter Solstice. Good to hear us Quad XR-E fans can get a heat sink from you. Thank you! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Lucero

Enlightened
I searched and didn't find a "sell" thread for the Quad heat sinks. Did the search function fail me? I sometimes find more or fewer hits with the vb search function. Or, has the thread not begun yet?

Lucero