What flashlight for EDCC?

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
Hi !

At first: please excuse my bad diction, it's only old german-school-english:grin2:

I am searching for a good and worth the money (not absolutely cheap and not so expensive than the Striker VG, obviously <80$) 2xCR123 flashlight for infrequently using and permanent depositing in my car.

Currently I am using a Fenix P1 as EDC (and hopefully a Jetbeam in a few days ;) ), and these are my ideas for my EDCC (everydaycarcarry:grin2: ) :

- brighter than my P1
- higher distance-range than my P1 (more like the Striker-VG-beam)
- 2-stage Clicky (tailcap or on the tube), with momentary on if possible
- useable with 2xCR123 and (protected) rechargeable batteries
- regulated

At Globetrotter in Germany I could take a comparison between the Striker VG and an L2T. The Striker VG was much better, but it's too expensive for rare-usage. I only need 2-stage, no strobe, no infinitely variable dimming. Low-mode ought to be good for looking something inside the car, for example the way on a card or searching the lost cigarette under the pedals:laughing:, or for repairing things at a motor- or tire-breakdown.
High mode should be good for distance, e.g. looking for house numbers from inside the car.

For the moment I know the following lights:
- Fenix L2T (seems to have an obviously worse beam for distance)
- Striker VG (too expensive, just as reference)
- Huntlight FT01 unfortunately no 2-stage:(
- "Superbright" unfortunately not regulated
- some kind of Nuwai light (which one?)

Any other suggestions? Or are my wishes impossible (I hope not, I think a low mode with a wide corona should do a good job just as a high mode with a bright center).

Dirk

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, okay. Looks interesting! But it seems to be not very bright, when I compare the Lux at flashlight-review and on qualitychinagoods (they talk about 1900Lux for there flashlight!).

And it's got only a plastic lens - but I know, I can't get very high quality for verly low price ;) And so, this doesn't matter very much...

Dirk
EDIT: here someone is reporting that it's not possible to use this light with rechargeables. I can't find these Nuwais on Nuwai-homepage, so perhaps they are discontinued for a long time?!? :(

Last edited:

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
Thanks :) My Debian dictd is helping me a lot! I'm using english very seldom in the last years, so most difficult for me is finding the correct words...:whistle:

Dirk

janwe

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

the Nuwai Long John has metioned is sold as the Ledwave X-33 I think, all over in Germany.
I use it every day over a year now, on the bike or reading. At least rain, ice rain and snow does not bother the lense. But I have not tried to impact something on it.:)

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
Ok.
The more I surf and search, the more I am obfuscated. There are very much lights on the market, and everyone declares that his one is the one and only and brightest light in the world...:awman:

I've found this one ,(from streamlight) and this Nuwai ALX-632L and they seem to be much brighter than the other ones and have got 2-stages. But is this the truth?
What influence does the LED-type (Luxeon III or Luxeon V or K2) have?

Dirk

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dirk, and welcome! Things are a little slow around here on the weekends as wives, girlfreinds, parents, kids tend to force us away from our beloved CPF board. So you might not get quick responces. I see your link to the Stricker...but I don`t see the price. What price range are you targeting for?

Ken

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Badbeams said:
Hi Dirk, and welcome! Things are a little slow around here on the weekends as wives, girlfreinds, parents, kids tend to force us away from our beloved CPF board. So you might not get quick responces.

:lolsign:

I'm sorry, but I got a laugh at this as I couldn't help but thinking that during the week, work wasn't a good enough reason to stay away.:laughing:

I can't contribute too much to this thread except to say that the Inova XO3 may work for you as it has a pretty good long reaching beam and excellent build quality.

It looks like the Surefire E2O is a little out of your price range, but you may be able to find one that is less expensive on BST or Ebay. To me, these are worth the price.

-Goatee

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
Badbeams said:
I see your link to the Stricker...but I don`t see the price. What price range are you targeting for?

Wrote in the first posting: about =<80$

Dirk

Buffalohump

Enlightened
Hmmm....

I'm not sure that this light you are seeking exists.

I would suggest looking around for a HDS 42 or 60 on the forums. Not sure if the 42 is brighter than the P1 but I'm sure the 60 is. It's a multi-stage light, regulated, superbly made and easily carried.

Expect to pay more than $80 though. :) But they are worth it!

Let us know how you do.

X Racer

Enlightened
I like the Inova X03 for a car light, but it doesn't have two stages like you stated. It does have great throw, big output, is ultra-durable, has great regulation and has momentary function.

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
Buffalohump said:
I would suggest looking around for a HDS[...]
Expect to pay more than $80 though. :) But they are worth it!

I know about the advantages of the HDS. But - at the moment they are not what I want. They are too expensive for my purse, and I don't want to let them in my car overnight...

Dirk

carrot

Flashaholic
Why not just carry two lights, the P1 and the Inova XO3 or the T3? I'd recommend the T3 over the XO3 because it has a clickie tailcap...

Edit, I just thought of another, the Pila GL2. It's got LEDs in its tailcap for low output and a xenon lamp in the bezel for high output. http://jsburlysflashlights.com offers them at a good price.

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Naturelle...you will have much fun here!

Have you thought about a Streamlight TL-3? This is a very good light source that is definately less than $80.

Go Werder Bremen!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Naturelle,

I highly recommend the Streamlight 2L 3W that you have in your link. I own 2 of them to store in my car and carry with me. They have always been very reliable, bright, good throw, use RCR123 3.0v, 3.6v rechargeable batteries.
naturelle said:
Ok.
The more I surf and search, the more I am obfuscated. There are very much lights on the market, and everyone declares that his one is the one and only and brightest light in the world...:awman:

I've found this one ,(from streamlight) and this Nuwai ALX-632L and they seem to be much brighter than the other ones and have got 2-stages. But is this the truth?
What influence does the LED-type (Luxeon III or Luxeon V or K2) have?

Dirk

flash_bang

Enlightened
hey naturelle, welcome to CPF! personally, I was looking @ the p1 as an edc, mainly b/c it uses 123A's and it's an LED(just entering the world of LED's), lemme know if you want me to take it off your hands :whistle:

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

FlashKat said:
I highly recommend the Streamlight 2L 3W that you have in your link. I own 2 of them to store in my car and carry with me. They have always been very reliable, bright, good throw, use RCR123 3.0v, 3.6v rechargeable batteries.

Hmm. Someone told me that there is a current consumption even if they are off. This would be a problem because in car the light would be very seldom used. So I don't think anymore that the streamlights would be a good choice.

@flash_bang:
No, my P1 is a wonderful light and I don't give it away...:whistle:

Latest posts