E1L beam question

LauraQ

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

I just bought a Surefire E1L and noticed that in addition to the square beam (which I know is normal), there's an additional thin outer "ring" of light. Is this normal?

I appreciate your comments. CPF has been a killer on my pocketbook, but I'm enjoying every minute of it!!

-- Laura

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Send it to grnamin for a reflector mod and you'll enjoy it that much more!

LauraQ

Newly Enlightened
I'd appreciate a link to that reflector mod, too.

Also, is the F04 a worthy addition to an E1L?

Thanks!
Laura

Flashdark

Enlightened
bestcounsel,

Find the "Milkyspit L-1 Information Thread" in the "Homemade and Modified Lights" forum; and the "Milkyspit ML-1 vs. Surefire L-1 (old) & L-1 (new)" thread in the "Reviews" forum, and let him mod the light for you. You will truely be amazed!!

LauraQ,

An F04 beam shaper filter is almost considered essential for a "flood/spill" effect on the Surefire L-1 (new version, with the TIR optic).

Hope this helps,
Flashdark sends.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Yep, I recommend getting the F04. For most uses the F04 beamshaper is a great addition to the E1L.

Since I use the E1L outdoors exclusively, I find the tight spot beam fine, which is what the tight TIR optics spot is designed to be used for -- outdoors and throw.

LauraQ

Newly Enlightened
Okay, guys, you convinced me...I just ordered the F04.

Thanks for all the help. This is a fantastic forum!

-- Laura

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
LauraQ said:
Thanks, KDOG3, you ruined my very subtle attempt at blending in! Now my secret's out.

Heh,heh. You know if you use the 3.6v 900mah protected rechargeables, the light will go into 2 cell mode, be slightly brighter.

tazambo

Newly Enlightened
Where do you get the 900mAh batteries from?
I've got some AW ones coming, they are 3.7V 750mAh protected. They'll do the job, but just not for quite as long?, right?

I also have an E1L coming but waiting for the F04 to come into stock at OpticsHQ is holding up my order. I'd order it separately but o/s postage is too expensive.

Can't hardly wait.

Regards
Dave