8nx vs mag rechargeable

G

Giancoz

hello
I'm posting from italy. I have the possibility to buy these torchs at about the sameprice. Wich is better? Do you think the maglite is too heavy? What about battery life and power?

ps. I'm sorry for my english, but the italian scolar system is awful...

G

Giancoz

p.s. the magcharge, in italy, costs 20 euros much than the 8nx...
thk you

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
unfortunately I do not know the Magcharger...
Thus said I would be pretty sure, that, in original condition, the 8X will be stronger AND offers a much more useful beam.
The Magcharger should be able to be focused into a narrower beam and might give more throw.

I have an 8X, but after getting a 9N, it was obsolete. Now there is a Led inside.
The long and weak / strong and short - option on the 9N is much better than the single output 8X.

The Magcharger, being much bigger offers more options for modding into a stronger light --> see "hotwires"

Finally my understandig is: the much smaller 8x / 9N models + a few spare batteries if needed, win against the larger light ervery time, but I am a backpacker.

G

Giancoz

ok, I perfectly understanded you, but:
the 9n is out of my budget,
in italy they say that an 8nx surefire can cause dameges if pointed in eyes, is it true?
is it possible to use the 123a lithium batteries in the 8nx, or only tha batpack?
thanks again

NAW

Enlightened
I have a Magcharger and a 200 lumen 9P.

The 9P doesn't come close to the throw of the magcharger nor the output.

Francois1

Newly Enlightened
If you don't mind the extra weight and extra bulk of the magcharger, I can't see any reason to buy the 8nx instead:

1) mag has much superior throw and overall output
2) runtime is way higher
3) spare parts (bulbs, batteries) are cheaper
4) it can be used as a hand weapon :).

Not considering the form factor, imho the only clear advantage of the 8nx
would be the beam quality: no mag artefacts.

Meduza

Enlightened
AND: you can make a 1166 mod to the Magcharger and have even more light :D

InfidelCastro

Banned
I seem to be the only one around here to think this is a downside, but I think having to remove the battery everytime you charge sucks.

It's nice to just put a light on the charging cradle everytime you're done using it.

Wish Surefire would get hip with the times on that.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
I seem to be the only one around here to think this is a downside, but I think having to remove the battery everytime you charge sucks.

It's nice to just put a light on the charging cradle everytime you're done using it.

Wish Surefire would get hip with the times on that.
That can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you use the light. If you use it occasionally, maybe as a mobile vehicle based patrol flashlight, then you can recharge it upon returning to the vehicle.

The way I use my 8NX is on a night shift, in my pocket, with 2 spare B90s, and another 2 spare B90s in my locker, so I have a total of 4 hours light available, without having to go anywhere near a charger. After I finish my shift, I have to charge the used batteries, but I have the facility to change batteries on the job, which is good for the way I work. If I do use all the rechargeables, then I start on the Lithiums, using my 9P.

If I recall, Surefire did make a light that was charged in a cradle (not the current 10X), I think it was the 9N, which had a shiny charging contact at each end.

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned
Why do people STILL think they can't carry extra batteries just because their light uses a cradle charger?

Frustrating...

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
but You cant use Your light while charging any other batt.

yup, the 9N offers such a cradle charger

NAW

Enlightened
The magcharger has a 2+ hour runtime. That is alot of runtime to use at night. Well depending on what youre using it for.