dsc03347smallch5.jpg

dsc03345smallam8.jpg

dsc03349smalliu0.jpg

dsc03346smallqm5.jpg

dsc03348smallry3.jpg

dsc03357smallea1.jpg

dsc03356smaller0.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found these lights at Costco. I didn't purchase any of the lights.

Costco
Hawthorne
14501 Hindry Avenue
Hawthorne, California

(310) 727-0403

Monolith

Enlightened
I purchased the Hawkeyes and had to return them. One of the flashlights was intermittent and about half as dim as the other (right out of the package). Tint varied greatly between the two - one was white (the dim one) and the other was bluer.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Ditto on the Hawkeyes - Luxeon Lottery applied to mine, one was pea green and the other was acceptable, though on the blue side. Switch felt flakey too. Nice holsters (seems I've seen a thread on these around these halls). HOWEVER - I took them back.

I saw the "Brunton Glorb" knockoffs - not a bad price, but didn't buy them - so I don't know what they look like powered up. I've got an OSRAM Golden Dragon & some River Rocks to fit that need.

Same with the Stanley light - didn't buy it, so don't know anything about it either. Seems I've seen something on it around here as well (or LED Museum/Flashlight Reviews?).

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw those yesterday too. Of these, the only one that looks like it might be useful, is the Stanley one w/ tripod.

The lanterns only have 4 (or 5?) led's in them, and I don't know if these lanterns are worth ~$9~$10 each. One plus is that there is a high and low mode, but if it's anything like the 4-aa LED lantern I got before, it's one led on, or all five. B/c of log eye perception of brightness, it only seemed nominally brighter on 5 led's, not 5 times.

But, if anyone tries these, pls do let us know how they are!

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figured the quality wasn't going to be that great. That's why I did not buy any.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Btw, don't mean to hijack, but the other thing I thought interesting was they have a SwissKey combo pack - $19.99 for a Utilikey, another keychain mini-multitool (the one w/ pliers, forgot the name), and a third doodad that has a white led, a red flashing led, and a siren that goes off when this GID-plastic bit is pulled off.

dtc

Newly Enlightened
Just as an FYI, you should be careful about taking photos at Costco.

I've heard that if they catch you, they can terminate your membership.

They're not the only ones - other stores have stupid policies like this too, designed to hamper you from comparison shopping.

spock

Enlightened
we were in costco in cincinnati and bought 4 packs of the emergency lanterns for christmas gifts. they have a high and low position and no strobe. comparing them to my osram, they seemed to be the same brightness. the costco lights were somewhat "ringy" on the wall. the switch is on the side of the light and worked well. the 4 aa batteries(duracell alk.) fit in a carrier that was easy to use and was not flimsy. the 3 feet on the bottom all fold out at the same time. they are pinned to a rotating disk on the bottom of the light. i like my osram better, but these will do the same job for about half the price. i do not like the strobe on the osram. you have to cycle thru it to turn the light off.

z96Cobra

Enlightened
I've seen the Hawkeyes at Meijer in Cincy, and they were 29.99 for 1! Wal-Mart also carries the Stanley tri-pod light, you can even find mini ones for your keychain at Biggs in the Cincy area.

Roger

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
spock, if you can take the globe apart & slip a "cut to fit" piece of opaque milk jug around the globe - it then provides a nice diffused beam. There's a thread about doing that to the River Rock lanterns around here somewhere.

Monolith

Enlightened
spock said:
wi do not like the strobe on the osram. you have to cycle thru it to turn the light off.
My Osrams only have high and low (no strobe).

spock

Enlightened
in an earlier post, i compared an osram to a costco lantern. monolith is correct that the osram has no strobe. forgot i sold my osram and kept the river rock lantern. duh. my bad. the comparison was actually between the costco and the river rock.

sigman, going to try your suggestion to diffuse the light this weekend-thanks.

Nell

Enlightened
They look and smell like Osrams, but the performance is a little disappointing. The output was not very even and full of rings, so I am returning them. They are good "Emergency" use items, but I will stick with the Osrams and RR units.

mcmc said:
I saw those yesterday too. Of these, the only one that looks like it might be useful, is the Stanley one w/ tripod.

The lanterns only have 4 (or 5?) led's in them, and I don't know if these lanterns are worth ~$9~$10 each. One plus is that there is a high and low mode, but if it's anything like the 4-aa LED lantern I got before, it's one led on, or all five. B/c of log eye perception of brightness, it only seemed nominally brighter on 5 led's, not 5 times.

But, if anyone tries these, pls do let us know how they are!