Mag LED incident report

Cevulirn

Newly Enlightened
Well, I've had a Mag LED in a 2 cell C body, and was satisfied with it. Nice little light, threw a small spot that went forever. Then I dropped it. And it wouldn't turn back on. And the little bubble that was the LED was rattling around in the head of the light, having come completely detached.

In other words, I was forced to convert the light back into a 5 cell bulb driven by 3x lithium primaries.

Illum

Flashaholic
same problem.....only mine just flickers contnuously
then it just quit and resumed to normal function after i stuffed some tinfoil under the positive end of the bulb and lengthened the battery spring.
might vary to yours.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
:( I've dropped my mag mods and the domes didn't come off the luxeon. Weird. Maybe by having it in a bulb the holder moves more when it drops giving it whiplash and that affects it more????

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had the same thing happen to me. Dropped the 4D Mag, wouldn't turn on. I dissambled it, meaning took out the 4 cells and the head and the LED and put it all back together. Then it worked. Weird. Not sure what happened.

Mags are mass-produced units with hit and miss re: attention to detail and quality. Most often you get a nice lite but sometimes you get a dud.

Given that there is a zillion in circulation, it doesn't surprise me.

Really not worse or better than anything else in same price range.

Tons of electrons have been used on this forum alone describing the problems with the Mag, how the LED is an afterthought and not an integral part of the light. Fair enough. It is a mass produced light.

If you want real quality and attention to detail, not to mention performance, get a customs built unit. ElektroLumens comes to mind, there are others.

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened
If you still have the package, why not try to return it or exchange it for a new one (just tell them it's defective)? Stores do get credit from vendors.

If you don't have the package, go to Walmart, buy a new one and return the old one in the new package telling them that it's defective, doesn't work well, and simply want your money back. Bet they won't even blink during the return process.