Opinions on Streamlight's Thunder Ranch Urban Rifle Lumination System

S

stdlrf11

Hey, guys, I've posted this question on other forums, and I'm posting it here also...

I am in the market for a removable weapon light for my AR and I am considering this product. Does anybody have any experience with it? Do you recommend it? If not, what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
stdlrf11

Paladin

Enlightened
The mount itself is rather heavy and bulky compared to some alternate systems.

One huge positive, IMO, is that you can swap lights as needed from the weapon mount to handheld. If a TL series "backup" light is chosen, then it can be mounted instead of the TL-3 shockproof, such as using a TL-2 LED for indoor home defense, while handholding the supplied TL-3 for searching. Or using the TL-3 mounted when outdoors, and handholding the TL-2 LED, etc.

The M16 short handguard rail is available separately, allowing the superb TLR-1 LED tac light to be mounted without using the bulky SL Thunder Ranch kit mount.

On carbines, the TR system is less than ideal because the short handguards don't allow much choice in where the light mounts. On a rifle at say 10 or 11 oclock it is a viable choice, but again a TLR-1 can be run for about the same $. HTH. I'll post a picture when I get time.

Paladin
http://mysite.verizon.net/respz08b/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Captured_2006-3-2_00002.jpg (photo of TLR-1 on SL short handguard rail)

http://mysite.verizon.net/respz08b/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Captured_2004-2-4_00000.jpg (variety of Streamlight TL lights which fit the Thunder Ranch mount)

http://mysite.verizon.net/respz08b/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Captured_2004-1-21_00002.jpg (TL-3 mounted)

http://mysite.verizon.net/respz08b/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Captured_2004-1-21_00000.jpg (the "money" shot, an overall view of the carbine mounted Thunder Ranch Rifle kit)

Last edited:
S

stdlrf11

Paladin,

It looks good. I just have a few questions...

How do you turn it off and on when it is mounted so high?

What does the DVD say about where to mount it?

Thanks,
stdlrf11

Paladin

Enlightened
The left thumb of the support hand can hit the rear switch easily, although there is NO constant on without twisting the tailcap. If set to just where the light is barely off, your thumb can apply the slight rotation needed for constant on. Mine is high to clear a side mounted sling swivel. Where you DRILL the two small holes is entirely up to you. Closer to 10 oclock is doable with a normal sling.

Handle your weapon and observe where your thumb is naturally located, and try to have the tailcap switch close to where it needs to be. Again, the paddle switch and shorter overall length of the TLR-1 will be more user friendly. IF you do run a side sling, some users just bolt the short rail to the forward handguard vent holes at 6 oclock. OK on a rifle, IMO not enough room on a carbine, although I have seen some TLR-1's run that way. My "heavy Zombie rifle" uses a TLR-1 at 6 oclock for backing up a P91 based light (soon to be a M3T based unit!).

If you want an inexpensive lighting solution AND the dual light redundnacy I favor, the Thunder Ranch setup is decent. If you want better ergonomics, particularly with a carbine, an offset light mount and vertical grip feels much more natural than the TR kit. A railed handguard opens up many more options.

Although I prefer using higher end offerings, I DO own a pair of TR mount brackets and would not have any issues with their duty use as long as appropriate training/practice with the system is invested PRIOR to a serious encounter. For indoor use the TL-3 is overkill, and I felt even the humble TL-2 LED was adequate for mounted use.

Being able to remove the mount, leaving just the unobtrusive short rail installed is a strong feature, especially for owners who don't leave their rifle geared up during casual range sessions.

The DVD is entry level material but still very interesting, and Clint makes installing and removing the light look super easy. If you already own the kit, it will serve you well. If you are still shopping, strongly consider getting just the short Streamlight M16 mount rail and a TLR-1 for a more refined solution.

Paladin

ETA: maybe also look into the new Streamlight Strion tactical light, which mounts like the TR kit, but is rechargeable.

Last edited:

USSS

Newly Enlightened
While it is considerably more expensive ($300+), the TLR-3 offers a laser in addition to an 80 lumen (rated) light with strong throw, reasonable sidespill and 3 operating modes (light only, laser only, and light+laser). I have one mounted on a bayonet adapter on a Bushmaster M4A3.

But depending on your specific needs, the Thunder Ranch package might be more versatile, especially if you don't require a laser. Either way, you're getting a high quality weaponlight system, regardless of model.