smoke machines:any advice welcome

luvlasers

Enlightened
thinking of getting a smoke machine but have no idea what type to get.

Had a look on ebay and prices range from US$22 to US$300. I'm broke (again so tempted to go after a cheap one but would they fill a decents sized room properly so you can play with lasers?

Would appreciate any recommendations or advice.

What kind of residue or mess do they leave when you finish using them. Don't want to spend ages cleaning up the house if i can help it

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
I hear hazers are the best, but they cost more. There is one for $139 on eBay... I barrowed a fog machine a friend of mine got from Wal Mart for $20... :sssh: He forgot to bring the juice, and wally world's out so I don't know how well it works... :lolsign:

Meduza

Enlightened
If you dont want to clean up, stay away from Oil Crackers!

Sadly they give the nicest effect, but everything becomes oily from the residue...

Either a real hazer or a normal smoke machine + a fan to lighten the smoke will work great.

Its more about how much volume you need to fill, most small cheapish machines works for normal sized rooms in your own house, but for a big auditorium you need something much stronger. Another factor is how much time you can wait for it to become filled with smoke, a smaller machine takes longer time while a $1000 machine can fill a medium-sized room just in a few seconds.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even the smallest 450 watt fogger will produce more fog than you will need to fill an entire basement or 3 car garage. A fan will help blend the fog into the room air making the fog "smoother".

You can make your own fog fluid by adding glycerin to distilled water.
Use a ratio of 30% glycerin to 70% distilled water. DO NOT use more than 30% glycerin.

Go easy on the amount of fog you use. The best effects can be had with less fog than you think.

Glycerin can be found in most drug stores. It's used as a topical skin emollient for relief of chapped skin and minor burns.

I use an inexpensive American DJ brand Shadow II 700 watt model as part of my annual Halloween display and it produces more fog than I need.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Shadow II uses a water based chemical fluid but it's called a fogger, not a smoke machine, in the User Instructions by the manufacturer.
The manufacturer reccomends using "Water Base American DJ Fog Juice™".

I guess the manufacturer is using the word fogger as a generic term for low cost machines that Joe Average might use for Halloween or a basement party.