My XR-E experiences (LionCub, Chameleon, Gladius)

ArsMachina

Enlightened
Hi,

yesterday I received some XR-E LED's and for sure it did not take a long time until I soldered them into some of my lights ;)

As we already learned from others, the reflector / lens is acually the big hazzle.
I started with shortening the MCR-20 of my LionCub and also opened the back end of the reflector to fit over the metal ring of the XR-E.

The result is really incredable, the beam is just perfect and the light is much brighter than before.

Here some pics:

cubcree4.jpg

cubcree5.jpg

cubcree6.jpg

Next in row was my Chammie - as far as I know I did not yet read about any experiences using the chammie reflector with an XR-E.
Fortunally I found out, that this combination is working very well, you do not even need to shorten the reflector.
But you need to bring the reflector far back until it touches the LED.
This means shortening the head including retreading it...
For better centering I will make me a little centering ring between the LED and the reflector soon:

chammiecree3.jpg

The next light I am using often and would like to see brighter (even it is already very bright, especially with my MCR-27 / U-Bin Mod), is my Gladius.
Unfortunately the IMS-27 and also the MCR-27 are not doing well with the Cree :(
But as I am having some dozens of the Chammie reflector, I decided to install this one, also here I will need a centering ring:

gladiuscree1.jpg

gladiuscree2.jpg

gladiuscree3.jpg

As the Chammie reflector is quite longer, the head does not fit right.
At this pictire yu can see the gap between the head and the tube, and I did not even install the o-ring at the glass...

gladiuscree4.jpg

But the result is just breathtaking - so I will make me a new head from the scratch, which is long enough to cover the new reflector.

These LED's are really unbelievable toys giving a lot of pleasure!

Jochen

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting. Can you let me know how you handled the base of the cut down McR20?
What does it sit on?
Is the base of the McR20 resting on the electrical contacts with some sort of washer or did you machine a shoulder in the reflector?
Good mod.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
How did you handle the vf/current issues with the Cree in the Chameleon. I know that the Chameleon circuit (Georges80) requires a low vf, maximum H, lux III. Is your Cree vf that low, in comparison? Able to run it 1amp, and 1.2 amps to led?

Bill

ArsMachina

Enlightened
Hi Rudy,

before I put in the Chammie reflector I had an MCR 27 reflector in my Gladius, butit did not perform as good as the Chammie reflector and it did not work at all with the cree LED.

Hi Bullzeyebill,

I am not an electronic guy and did not check any currents.
I just can tell you that I am using this Cree Gladius every day since I modded it and it is still working fine :)

Unfortunately I do not have any more comparable Luxeon lights ind this range.

Jochen

dom

Enlightened
Hi Jochen -Nice looking beam!

I take it that you were trying the standard McR 27 reflector and not the McR27 -XR ?

Cheers