Recommend a light for my application!

Johnson

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone!

I recently gained employment with FedEx. They recommend I buy a decent flashlight to assist in finding addresses when night rolls around (since I won't exactly have my route "memorized" yet).

Im looking for something that's not bulky, and very bright. I really like the look of LED light beams, but on not going to be overly picky here. I don't want to spend an insane amount of money, but im not one to cheap-out on good equipment. I was looking at some of Inova's stuff (XO3, T5). Is that stuff any good?

Thank you!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The X03 is good. But I recommend the T3. Same light, but with a better grip.

If you tell us exactly what your price range is, it would help when offering other suggestions.

Johnson

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys!

For Monocrom:

I want to keep it under $100 if possible.

carrot

Flashaholic
I would definitely consider the Inova XO3 or T3. They are exactly the same light, only different bodies and the T3 has a clickie switch. The T4 is also good; though it seems spendy at first, the rechargeable capability will pay for itself in time.

Also worth considering is the Surefire E2L running two rechargeable lithium-ion RCR123's. The E2L plus the rechargeables will run you about $120, but is a good combination, one I'd prefer due to the slimmer size.

Then there's also the Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon... tight and throwy beam.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Johnson said:
Thanks guys!

For Monocrom:

I want to keep it under $100 if possible.

I'd still go with the T3. The T4 is the rechargeable version with the switch in the same spot as a Maglite. But I've heard of a few CPFers who've had problems with their T4.

Harry

Newly Enlightened
The Inova T3 is a nice light for distance but I would caution you if you decide to buy one to do so from a store where you can actually look at the beam.

I have a family member headed to Iraq soon who saw my T3 and decided to take one with him. I told him that I would buy it for him and since I have no Inova dealers in my area I ordered the light over the internet recently.

When the light arrived there was no distinct round white center to the beam as there is on my T3. It was like the difference between the X1 1st gen. vs. the 2nd gen. beam change. I sent it back to the dealer and they sent me another T3 that had the same problem. I sent the 2nd one back and have spent $42 in shipping costs with no light to show for it. I ended up giving him my personal T3 since it appears that Inova is having production problems with that light at the present time.

I use a T5 as the house light and have been pleased with its performance. I stick it in my jeans pocket lense side up when I walk thru the woods at night to visit the neighbors. While I have had no complaints with this light I would still suggest that you see one in person prior to buying sight unseen based on my T3 experience.

Harry

Duff72

Newly Enlightened
Carrot I second your opinion on streamlight pro polymer 4aa LUXEON good throw ,great light. i wouldnt rule out incan check out streamlight strion (rechargable)

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the SL PP Lux AA.

I'd also suggest looking at a Magcharger. Can be had for under $100 with some searching and plenty bright, plus rechargeable and mod-able later. Possibly a bit big, though.

:buddies:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
How far will you be from the street numbers you need to read in your area?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My 4AA has 4 Rayovac Maximum at 1.53V each, so it isn't the batteries.

But every since I compared it to my Chop LUXIII Reflector KL3, it doesn't seem the same.

I just went "tree hunting" in the back yard, and my 3C KILLS the 4AA for throw. But the 4AA is more usefull as a task light.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
You might want to consider the 3W 2C Luxeon from Advanced Auto Parts for a relatively cheap thrower. Price is $19.88. See the review of the Task Force 3W at flashlightreviews.com. It's essentially the same light. Also look for the thread in the LED section from last week if you're interested.

Geoff

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think about a 2 stage light, so you can read addresses from far away on high and read the labels and other stuff up close on low at night.

The Streamlight 2L 3W (Model # 51008) at amazon.com for $54.00 will work well for you or similiar.