Why we love lights so much?

ahw

Newly Enlightened
I just got into this whole flashoholic thing and it's really sweet, but I don't know why. Maybe it's b/c these lights like SF, my favorite, are so tech. advanced and really cool to just look at. And when you turn it on just seeing the power is cool, and knowing that it can do so much. Personally I think the lights today are a demonstration of what man can make with materials God gave them and are a WORK OF ART like a painting, for gaget geeks like all of us. Other reasons? Also, my family CANNOT understand why a "stupid light" cost so much and why I would have so many. I just say "I don't know, they're just so cool!"

kevinm

Enlightened
They are *functional* works of art. They produce light to dispell the darkness. I use the light in my pocket daily. Also, for the first time ever, it is possible to get a usable amount of light from something tiny for a reasonable amount of time.

Many people seem to understand this expaination better: we are at the point at which energy is becoming more valuable and we have an alternative to conventional lighting (or will very soon). It's like the time in history in which light bulbs began to become available to the public; a cusp in technology that will affect everyone. Flashlight of this type prove beyond a doubt that this change is almost here.

Oh, and they are cool!

Kevin

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe it relates to one's desire to manipulate your environment and surroundings. Flashlight freaks are also often into knives, multitools, and perhaps guns. Things which allow you to exert some increased level of control over your surroundings.

peace

SCblur

Enlightened
well, it started when my father abandoned me as an infant and my mother told me I was no good and would never amount to anything. With nobody to give and receive affection with, I began projecting my pent-up love and emotions onto inanimate objects.

...wait...I've said too much.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think that it was because i grew and are still growing up with bad lights around but if i had started out with a surefire and not a M@g i would not be so involved. and they are one of the koolest edc items out there.

Lightmania

Enlightened
powernoodle said:
I believe it relates to one's desire to manipulate your environment and surroundings. Flashlight freaks are also often into knives, multitools, and perhaps guns. Things which allow you to exert some increased level of control over your surroundings.

And computers! :D

RC airplaines, photography, telescopes, lol
Interesting observation, though... never thought of it that way...

I often wondered this question, too.

Lightmania

Colorado Fatboy

Newly Enlightened
Now that I have grown up and have kids it's a lot less expensive than my other passions, guns and Harleys! :twothumbs

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
We're all into gadgets and gizmos. Lights offer me an affordable means of satisfying that desire for new stuff. Of course it wouldn't be half as much fun if CPF didn't exist. We are all enablers for each other. Thanks, guys. :buddies:

Geoff

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just like tools of all kinds. Hand tools, power tools, writing tools, cooking tools, whatever.

Whenever I get a higher quality version of a tool I already have, I demote the old one to mobile/portable toolbox use eg. for keeping in a car (no I don't keep pots and pans in the car but you know what I mean). When I have too many for even that, I usually give the oldest ones away to someone who would be delighted to have them--unless they have some sentimental value.

I tend to keep the most of things that last, and very few of things that do not/are not mature technology/easily go obsolete: digicams, MP3 players, computers, LED lights.

As such, I really don't have too many lights but each I have is useful for something. And I am ready to upgrade them at any time.

Sable

Enlightened
I have pretty high standards for lights, even since finding CPF. It's not that I'm not one for extraneous frippery (I am more often than I care to admit), but a light is in the grey area between "gadget" and "tool" for me.

I bought a GatLight as an EDC - it's a fantastic light, but it's not usable enough to truly be every-day-carry for me. On the other hand, it's a gorgeous piece of functional industrial artwork. It doesn't look out of place at all hanging out by the Mac Pro.

Next on the list was a Milkyspit-modded SureFire L1. This is a pretty neat-lookin' light to me, and it produces a startling amount of light for something so small. This has become my EDC light, being as much a tool as the GatLight is art. It's built like a tank, runs for a very long time off of the slightly exotic 123s (Thank you, BatteryStation!) and I have totally fallen in love with the way the L1 handles multiple brightness levels. From walking with my "Better half" at night to poking around mountaintop comm towers, it's been just perfect. And to top it all off, it's hard anodized aluminum, so even I'll have a damn hard time beating it up.

As a backup to the ML1, I've been eyeballing McGizmo's mCree XR19C light, once it becomes available. It seems like it might sit in a happy medium between "cool-looking" and "extremely useful tool." I admit to a certain level of vanity, and I like my tools to look good - this probably explains the collection of Apple computers hanging around my house. On the other hand, my MacBook Pro does the job of three computers and looks fantastic doing it. That level of versatility and looks is something I generally hold my tool/gadgets to - and thanks to the wonder of CPF, my flashlights can finally join up.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was little, I was saddened at the fact that someday I knew I would grow out of my "toys" becasue I never saw older people playing with "toys". Now I know.

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
I like many things, but my love for flashlight is rapidly increasing. I like flashlights because they are high tech, pretty, very fun to collect (at least I've started drooling over alot of flashlights I really want to just have) and they also have a purpose. It's a hobby that is actually useful, compared to collecting random stuff.

Oh, this community is a bonus too.