Give up rights for terrorism prevention?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I think the danger of giving up rights is you will never get them back. I am sure the threat of terrorism will be with us for a very long time but once you have lost some of your freedoms and the threat of terrorism has been minimized the chances of those rights being given back are not likely. The more control the government has over our lives the better they like it so there is no need, in their opinion, to go back. Besides that loss of freedom for us is what the "terrorists" want. It is kind of like when a toll road is built. The purpose of collecting the toll is to pay for the road without burdening the taxpayer. Let the ones that use the road pay for it. But when the road has been paid for you usually will not see the toll booths come down. That is what government likes, lots of money & lots of power. Our freedom is what so many men and women have given up their lives for to protect and that freedom is what makes America great!

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Giving up freedom for security results in having neither.

Spend much more money on intelligence and defense if necessary but don't encroach on Constitutional rights.

That said; illegal aliens and enemy agents are not protected by the Constitution at all. "Regular" immigrants and visitors are not protected by the Constitution until they step onto American "soil". We definitely need to be pre-emptive and pro-active in this area.

I believe that we need to realistically define the enemy and formally Declare War.

For domestic terrorists, the regular justice system should do the job, (although I'd like to replace all of the "activist" judges that adjudicate according to their personal opinions rather than the laws of the land, get rid of the "ambulance chasing" opportunistic lawyers and moronic "no clue" juries that seem to predominate in these cases."

Guys like this Padilla scrote, an American citizen who converted to militant islam in prison and later was trained and financed by the Al-queda is a more difficult case.

Personally, I believe that once you go to a foreign country for training in terroristic activities you lose your Constitutional rights. It is no different than joining the military of an enemy nation in time of war. However, I don't know how the Supreme Court would rule on this.

bwcaw

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silviron:

Personally, I believe that once you go to a foreign country for training in terroristic activities you lose your Constitutional rights. It is no different than joining the military of an enemy nation in time of war.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree! I think mr padilla* and mr "American taliban" should be tried for treason. I don't think that giving up your rights to battle terrorism is a good idea at all, if you did that the terrorist sons of female dogs will win!
mad.gif

*not capitalized for lack of respect!

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silviron:
Giving up freedom for security results in having neither...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it was Benjamin Franklin who first said this. I agree wholeheartedly.

Luff

Enlightened
Treason is especially hard to prove ... made that way by our founding fathers to protect other freedoms ... it requires at least two eye-witnesses willing to swear in court they saw the person in question commit treasonous acts against other Americans.

I have little doubt they'll end up behind bars on other charges. Since they are so notorious, they probably won't be put in with a general prison population ... which is a shame as some justice might be served there.

Too bad they can't be surgically changed into female forms and then dumped in downtown Riyahd wearing miniskirts, tube tops and red stilletho high heels.

[Boy was that off topic!]

Each freedom lost is tyrany's gain.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone from Europe care to say how they feel about the EU?

I think the UN (who helped push these new "anti-terrorism" laws) would like nothing better than to see the US give up our freedom & soverienty piece by piece so they can one day rule over the US, over-riding our constitution, much like the EU currently does overseas.
mad.gif

Our political ties with the UN and un-willingness of our government to break away from them has put the US in a dangerous situation.
frown.gif

Atrick-Pay

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sean:
Our political ties with the UN and un-willingness of our government to break away from them has put the US in a dangerous situation.
frown.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This started way before the "UN" (atleast in that form).
It started when the good guys LOST the civil-war.
The civil war had NOTHING to do with slaves it was about a states right to rule its self.
frown.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ditto the last two posts. I'm glad to see there's atleast a few some CPF members that have their heads screwed on straight.
wink.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Give up rights for terrorism prevention?"

In a word, no.

Once we give up freedom, we aren't free. If we give up freedom, everything everyone has done to keep us free is wasted.

-john