borat movie warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I'm gonna keep this short and sweet.

Concerning the "borat" movie.

Some of you will and have gone; this post is not for you.

Some of you will not go and do not want to, same thing.

Others are undecided. Maybe you don't really want to go but would if a friend asked. Basically you're undecided.

Let me help you a little...

Save yourself from the most trashy movie that I have EVER seen. It's got a funny line or two, but basically it's the most offensive, degrading, pandering, slandering, anti-semitic, gross, crude, and rude movie that has ever been made.

I walked out during the movie, and I will (and have) watch anything. Anything... but this took the cake.

I have absolutely NO idea how this didn't get an NC-17 rating. It deserved it, and more.

I hope nobody I know saw me attend.

I felt like I needed a shower afterwards. I still feel nasty 2 days later.

That's it. I didn't open this for a debate. I wrote this to address the people who have not had an 'inside scoop' on the movie.

I feel sorry for 'borat's wife/etc in real life.

Chris201W

Enlightened
I saw the movie last night and basically agree with the OP. I went into the movie basically expecting what I got, and did get some good laughs.

Obviously a movie like this is going to offend a lot of people. What really worries me is when people who aren't mature enough see it. For example, I have a friend who thinks anything racial is funny and can be joked about. He doesn't know when to draw the line between a joke and seriously offensive comments. The people I know who can make this distinction realize that Borat is an offensive movie to a lot of people. To my friend who I believe is not mature enough to see such a movie, Borat basically validated everything he previously thought regarding racial jokes, etc. Now he'll probably think that his "jokes" are even more acceptable since he saw the same things in a movie. Something's wrong when a movie like Borat is validating one's beliefs!

The bottom line is, while I was entertained by the movie, it was trashy at best, downright offensive at worst. Be entertained elsewhere...please.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Haven't seen jackass2, but I heard that it's got a horse semen-drinking scene. While that's nasty beyond belief, I would put 'borat' at much, much worse.

Judging by the retching sounds in the audience I wasn't the only one with these feelings.

Like I said. I cannot fathom how this movie escaped an NC-17 rating.

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened
I personally would not watch it even if he paid me to. This guy is trying to make big money by degrading others. I could not see any sense to watch him. There is nothing special about what he does. I have better thing to do with my time. He is setting a bad example to our future generation. We should boycott the movie.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
turbodog said:
I feel sorry for 'borat's wife/etc in real life.
Borat is no real person. Borat is a fictional Kazakh journalist invented and portrayed by the British comedian provocateur Sacha Baron Cohen. Furthermore Cohen is himself Jewish, and explained his character's racist nature by stating that the segments are a "dramatic demonstration of how racism feeds on dumb conformity, as much as rabid bigotry," rather than a display of racism by Baron Cohen himself. (source : Wikipedia)

drizzle

Enlightened
turbodog said:
Some of you will not go and do not want to, same thing.
That's me. But thanks for the review. It just helps me know I'm not missing anything I would remotely want to see.

Added: This is pretty hard to believe. It got 92% on RottenTomatoes. I don't usually find myself so polar opposite to that site.

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm Jewish, and I saw the movie with three of my friends who also happen to be Jewish. I think that out of all the people in the theater that night, we were laughing the hardest. If your Hebrew is good enough, you can sometimes pick out some random Hebrew phrases making up the "Kazakhstani" conversations.

The actor who plays Borat is also Jewish - what did you expect, with a last name like "Cohen"?

I forgot to bring anything to snack on during the movie, so I was a little worried, but as it turns out I definitely wouldn't have gotten the chance to eat anything (with all the laughter). One of my Israeli friends laughed so hard he gave himself a migraine.

If you can deal with "offensive, degrading, pandering, slandering, anti-semitic, gross, crude, and rude" (which definitely describe this movie), it'll probably be the funniest movie you've seen in a LONG time.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Yes, I know this. He is 'seeing' Isla Fisher. If I were her I could not look at myself in the mirror each day, knowing that I was 'seeing' someone who would make and/or act in such a movie.

Erasmus said:
Borat is no real person. Borat is a fictional Kazakh journalist invented and portrayed by the British comedian provocateur Sacha Baron Cohen. Furthermore Cohen is himself Jewish, and explained his character's racist nature by stating that the segments are a "dramatic demonstration of how racism feeds on dumb conformity, as much as rabid bigotry," rather than a display of racism by Baron Cohen himself. (source : Wikipedia)

Chris201W

Enlightened
Ugh, it bothers me to no end when people (not anyone here specifically, just people in general) argue that anti-semitism like in Borat is justified since the actor himself is Jewish. The fact that the guy making fun of Jews is Jewish doesn't change the fact that these jokes a) still offend a lot of people, and b) negatively influence impressionable youths.

IMHO, we'd be a lot better off with fewer stereotypes and racial jokes...period. Doesn't matter who's perpetuating them; the fact is, they're being perpetuated.

Cerbera

Newly Enlightened
Well I thought the movie was great, but it is your option to just see it. I'm getting this feeling where we are all forced to see it. Sure there is a lot of publicity, but its just free advertisement.

I think most people's mistake was that they never watched or even knew who Borat was before this movie. Have you guys not watched the show or did any amount of minimal research? We all have access to the Internet. It contains a lot of information. I didn't see Borat being any different just because it was on the big screen.

Negatively influence impressionable youths? Well if youths are going to see it, first line of defense is the movie theaters. They are not suppose to allow these kids in. It is a rated "R" movie. If parents were bringing kids in, then that's their fault. This is really offensive material that can only be interpreted correctly if an individual has knowledge behind the subject. Now if we are talking about teenagers who are at the age limit or slightly above, then they are making their own choices. I'm sure at that age, they should be qualified to make their own decisions. I reiterate again that they probably have access to the internet that should allow them to research what the movie and character is all about. Those kids should have a myspace.

Yes these stereotypes and racial jokes are being perpetuated, but entertainment is just providing this type of material. The consumer is the one who demands and purchases these "filthy" material. Simple business: where there is demand, there must be supply. The only reason why this type of "filth" exists is that there is a demand. Same goes for horror films with gore. Look at Saw III. It did reasonably well.

After all this film was about America. If you actually watched the whole movie, you would find that not only Borat was the bad man. You had loyal patriots that didn't like Borat's mustache because he looked like the "terrorist." He then went on to tell him to shave it to look more Italian so Borat would be accepted. Also, you had those white college guys who felt men are dominant and women had no say in anything. They also pointed out that the minorities are taking everything away from the white man. What about the New Yorkers that were VERY rude (after all it is New York) to Borat just saying Hi?

Do we just need another scapegoat for real problems we can't deal with?

We would be better off with fewer stereotypes and racial jokes, but let's start with the people rather than entertainers.

Last edited:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
the point of Borat the movie, at least to me, was that it put a human face to issues like anti-semitism. When we talk about anti-semitism, we are reflexially conditioned to think about goose stepping SS man in shiny boots. But we tend to forget that it's humans who possess these attitudes and we have to come to terms with that reality.

I enjoyed(could have done without that footage of the fat Armenian though..

Cerbera

Newly Enlightened
Are you serious? The fact is that this movie was a low-budget mockumentary. He comes to America to learn about it and make a documentary for his country. However, he gets side-tracked to go to California after watching Pamela Anderson on TV. Borat wants to marry her and on his way there. However, he can't go there because it is not part of the documentary, but convinces his producer (Azamat Bagatov) to go there for part of the film. On his way to California he meets different people across the country and documents that as well.

Does that not represent the film plot in any sort of way or was it too "offensive" to see a plot.

The antisemitism was only in a few parts of the movie. Of course you had the "Running of the Jews", the bed and breakfast people, and the part where he had to defend himself after that incident. Unless you can name more parts about antisemitism that dominated the movie, please be my guest.

Did you even watch the movie? Were you compos mentis during that time?

And that naked fight with Borat and Azamat Bagatov was purely just for laughs. Was that necessary? No. Funny? I think so. Borat had a huge censor while Azamat had...nothing.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course I have seen the movie, but I don't have the urge to summarize the movie for everyone to see to prove that I did see it. The Anti-semitism is a running theme of his show, which I have followed since it began. excuse me for not listing the plot of the movie.

You can take the movie anyway you like, I said what I thought of it, if you think I didn't summarize the movie as well as you can, heck give me an F and maybe you'll feel better then.

For someone who's only been here for at most a month you got a big ego my friend.

Sheesh.

Cerbera said:
Are you serious? The fact is that this movie was a low-budget mockumentary. He comes to America to learn about it and make a documentary for his country. However, he gets side-tracked to go to California after watching Pamela Anderson on TV. Borat wants to marry her and on his way there. However, he can't go there because it is not part of the documentary, but convinces his producer (Azamat Bagatov) to go there for part of the film. On his way to California he meets different people across the country and documents that as well.

Does that not represent the film plot in any sort of way or was it too "offensive" to see a plot.

The antisemitism was only in a few parts of the movie. Of course you had the "Running of the Jews", the bed and breakfast people, and the part where he had to defend himself after that incident. Unless you can name more parts about antisemitism that dominated the movie, please be my guest.

Did you even watch the movie? Were you compos mentis during that time?

And that naked fight with Borat and Azamat Bagatov was purely just for laughs. Was that necessary? No. Funny? I think so. Borat had a huge censor while Azamat had...nothing.

Last edited:

Cerbera

Newly Enlightened
That is true, but I just didn't see how you can conclude that from the movie. But everyone is different.

Sorry to get all fussy about it but I wasn't born a month ago.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cerbera said:
That is true, but I just didn't see how you can conclude that from the movie. But everyone is different.

Sorry to get all fussy about it but I wasn't born a month ago.

Hmm, let's see, he goes and try to buy a gun to protect him self from the Jews, he bought a freaking BEAR to protect himself from the Jews. Having watched every episode of Borat ever came out, 8 out of ten shows has anti-semitism imbedded in them.

I said it was the point FOR ME. just because you have different idea of what you got from the movie doesn't give you the right to question whether I have seen it or not.

Besides I also said that it's issues LIKE antisemitism. of course there were more topics than just one. I tried to cover myself but I suppose I have to list them one by one next time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.