Question for the Audio Guys

mikep

Enlightened
I am looking for a cheap powered-microphone set-up. I got a minidisc walkman as a gift, and would like to play around with recording stuff (kids singing "this land is your land", etc). The walkman only has a "line in" input, so I can't use a regular, non-powered mic. I don't need the quality to be that great, I'm just goofing around. So far I have seen the stuff available at soundprofessionals.com. Is there anything more economical?

kubolaw

Enlightened
Congratulations on entering the world of minidisc! Sound Pros probably has the best selection of mics to choose from, but you could also try Radio Shack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F003%5F005%5F000&product%5Fid=33%2D3013
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F003%5F005%5F000&product%5Fid=33%2D3028

Looks like these two are powered, but I can't really say for sure from the "highly useful" information RS provides on their web pages. Best bet is to go to your local B&M and check them out in person. I haven't really seen any other reasonably priced mics for MD recorders that don't provide plug in power. Aside from the Sound Professional products, mic preamps seem to range from $150 to $400, at which point you're probably better off buying another MD recorder that has a mic input.

John

Brock

Flashaholic
I am a bit confused. Do you just want powered speakers for what you already have? If that is the case, look in to computer speakers. Some of them can run on batteries and it would be portable. It would also be the cheapest way to go.

Or do you mean you need a microphone with a "line out". If that is the case they are pretty expensive. Or do you just need a mic that doesn't need "phantom power".

rlhess

Enlightened
Is this a portable or home MD recorder? I'm surprised a portable doesn't have a line input. I wouldn't expect any home recorder to have a mic input these days.
frown.gif

You MIGHT be better off with some standard things like Shure SM-58s and a small mixer. The Mackie 1202 is a good little 4-mic mixer with incredibly good sound for size/price.

I'm not aware of any inexpensive "line output" mics (that doesn't mean there aren't any) but there are some technical issues like scaling the preamp gain that make this non-trivial.

Cheers,

Richard

mikep

Enlightened
Clarifications to my original post: This is a portable, Sony MZ-N505. It is a player/recorder, and it has a USB connection to get music from the computer, but it also has a 3.5mm "line-in" input jack (which is also an optical connection, apparently). As I understand it, the signal from a traditional microphone like the kind typically plugged into a computer doesn't have the oomph to go into a "line-in" input.
I guess the companies that make stuff specifically for these MD recorders are the best bet- thanks for the replies. Other MD walkman models have built in 'mic' input jacks, and are popular apparently for recording lectures or concerts.

I thought MD had gone the way of the Betamax, but this thing is pretty nifty for carrying around music- up to 5 hours can fit on a $2 disc that can be recorded over and over! It seems better than most mp3 players.

rlhess

Enlightened
I had a brain misfire--what I meant was I was surprised a portable didn't have a MIC input. This is a new breed. I have two MDs with mic inputs (portable).

I don't know what else is available at the consumer end for this. I was suggesting a semi-pro solution.

Cheers,

Richard

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mikep,
I work for a professional Sound Company and we and other company's use MD all the time they are great for some applications. I would agree with rlhess it might be cheaper to buy a different MD unit. There are no mics that output line level, you need a microphone preamp to boost the mic level to line and they can be expensive. You could also look on e-bay for a cheap mixer with a mic input and line out.

Brock

Flashaholic
If it works a little with a "regular" mic. I would try a chap mic from Radio Shack that would hold a battery. Usually this is used for phantom power and usually the signal coming out of them is about 2 to 4 times "hotter" then a regular mic. It's worth a shot anyway. If not a small inline pre-amp is going to run at least $100.