Streamlight Scorpion again?

Iron Man

Newly Enlightened
I recently gave away my Scorpion to a friend of mine that was moving out of state. He was a good friend and he needed a good Incan light so I handed it over, as a good bye gift.

So now my question should I get another Scorpion or somthing else?

I have thought about a Surefire G2 or somthing similiar in that price range.

So please give me your opinions,

Thanks

supes

Enlightened
I've never owned or used one but looking at FiveMega's 18650 SL Scorpion kit, it makes me want to get it just because of the rechargeable option.

I have owned and used a G2 and must say it is very hard to beat especially for the price.

If your going the el cheapo way, the Brinkman Maxfire is a viable option and at Target or Walmart. About same brightness as G2.

With the Scorpion, you get an extra bulb and doesn't it have a adjustable bezel for focusing?

Iron Man

Newly Enlightened
I already have a Brinkman Maxfire, and yes the Scorpion does have the extra bulb and the focusing bezel.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I guess it depends on what you like in your hand. I'm not crazy about the all rubber scorpion and much prefer a 6P or even a G2. Though if there is a desire to go rechargeable I would rather have somthing that accepts a Strion bulb.

maxilux

Enlightened
take again the Scorpion incan, the Scorpion is much more brighter as the SF G2,
replacemet bulb include, you can´t find a better light for this price !!!

Iron Man

Newly Enlightened
maxilux said:
take again the Scorpion incan, the Scorpion is much more brighter as the SF G2,
replacemet bulb include, you can´t find a better light for this price !!!

This is what I am thinking, I loved the Scorpion but thought I would ask, because I never see anyone talking about the Scorpion. Its always G2 this and 6P that.

I will see if anyone else has any ideas if not I guess I better be tracking down a good price on the Scorpion.

maxilux

Enlightened
@ iron man

Let the people talk what they want, when you compare the Scorpion and the G2 you will see the better light-----Scorpion-----

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still think if you tried the LED Scorpion you'd like it. It has better runtime too and
the beam on mine is nearly flawless. Trying it cost's little as I'm sure you could sell
it pretty easy.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
For general use the Scorpion is probably better and more cost effective, due to its adjustable focus and clickie switch. The G2 is more "tactically" oriented, with it's fail-safe LOTC and more rugged lamp assembly which isn't prone to having it's bulb fall into the reflector due to impact.

The scorpion might come with an extra bulb, but I understand the Scorpion bulb burns out every 4-5 hours, whereas the average P60 has a conservative lifetime of ~25 hours. The Scorpion bulbs are cheaper though, so it really depends on what you're going to use the light for. I personally prefer the TL-2 to the Scorpion.

Iron Man

Newly Enlightened
MARNAV1 said:
I still think if you tried the LED Scorpion you'd like it. It has better runtime too and
the beam on mine is nearly flawless. Trying it cost's little as I'm sure you could sell
it pretty easy.

I dont really need a LED Scorpion I have an Inova T3. I am looking for a Incan light. I have all the LED power I need. Nothing like a good Incan light ya know?

As of now I think I am going to get another Scorpion, and then just ask for a G2 for Christmas. Best of both worlds that way.

I am also going to check out the TL-2 Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
scorpion: $20 [on forum, if your lucky] up to $60 retail
brighter than the G2, extra bulb, deep clickie, focuseable beam, Streamlight lifetime warranty

G2: $~25 used [on forum] $36 retail
around the same price as the scorpion, fixed beam, lock out tailcap [twisty], surefire lifetime warranty

your going to have to sacrifice certain aspects to pick one or the other....i bought both:ohgeez::grin2:

The same group of lights, I admit the brinkmann maxfire Lx is a decent substitute for a G2, cheaper...and supposely uses the same LA as the G2.

another would be the Dorcy spyder....:grin2:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/dorcy_spyder.htm

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got 3 G2's, never tried the Brinkmann. How good are the bulb's in the Scorpion
and Brinkmann. Where did ya buy it Wallyworld?

Martin

Enlightened
The Scorpion has a recessed switch. If put in a bag, it will not turn on easily by itself. The G2 has an exposed tailcap button and is more likely to turn on.
The beam quality of my G2 is slightly better than the one of my Scorpion. The Scorpion has higher tolerances, but you can be lucky.
The G2 has a pre-focused beam, the Scorpion is user-adjustable (I consider this more of a hassle than a benefit).
Materialwise, the G2 is situated b/w Scorpion (rubber, soft) and 6P (metal, very hard).

3mw

Newly Enlightened
Is their a difference in the beam when comparing the TL-2 and the Scorpion? I've seen the Scorpion in action and I really like it, but I like the features of the TL-2 (aluminum body, clip, lanyard). Does the TL-2 have a glass lens? My local Bass Pro Shops sells the Scorpion for $30 and the bulbs are $5. Do you guys know about any good deals for the TL-2? Bass Pro Shops has them for $49 or $50.

Illum

Flashaholic
MARNAV1 said:
I've got 3 G2's, never tried the Brinkmann. How good are the bulb's in the Scorpion
and Brinkmann. Where did ya buy it Wallyworld?

dunno about scorpion, but Brinkmann maxfires not only found in wallyworld, but target too..:grin2:

Martin said:
The Scorpion has a recessed switch. If put in a bag, it will not turn on easily by itself. The G2 has an exposed tailcap button and is more likely to turn on.
The beam quality of my G2 is slightly better than the one of my Scorpion. The Scorpion has higher tolerances, but you can be lucky.
The G2 has a pre-focused beam, the Scorpion is user-adjustable (I consider this more of a hassle than a benefit).
Materialwise, the G2 is situated b/w Scorpion (rubber, soft) and 6P (metal, very hard).

good point, but i guess you got yourself a good LA then, my G2's beamshot is a give or take :sick2:

G2s polymer designs for grip, while the scorpion eliminated that....rubber coating

3mw said:
Is their a difference in the beam when comparing the TL-2 and the Scorpion? I've seen the Scorpion in action and I really like it, but I like the features of the TL-2 (aluminum body, clip, lanyard). Does the TL-2 have a glass lens? My local Bass Pro Shops sells the Scorpion for $30 and the bulbs are $5. Do you guys know about any good deals for the TL-2? Bass Pro Shops has them for $49 or $50.

known comparison would be dougs reviews
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_scorpion.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_tactical.htmhttp://ledlights.home.att.net/tl-2.htm

hope it helps

Last edited:

Nebula

Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
brighter than the G2, extra bulb, deep clickie, focuseable beam, Streamlight lifetime warranty/QUOTE]

Illum - see my post in the Fivemega Scorpion extended battery tube GB thread. I just purchased a second Scorpion at my local shop (new in package) for $28.95. When I left the shop on Saturday there were five left. If you need a name and phone number I am happy to provide via pm. Kirk

Iron Man

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the great info everyone, I have decided to go ahead and get another Scorpion. The prices must have jumped up, because I bought mine off Amazon for like $25 bucks. I seen it at Bass Pro for $29 so I guess thats were I am off too.

I still plan on getting a G2, its on my christmas list.

Thanks

Illum

Flashaholic
Nebula said:
Illum_the_nation said:
brighter than the G2, extra bulb, deep clickie, focuseable beam, Streamlight lifetime warranty/QUOTE]

Illum - see my post in the Fivemega Scorpion extended battery tube GB thread. I just purchased a second Scorpion at my local shop (new in package) for $28.95. When I left the shop on Saturday there were five left. If you need a name and phone number I am happy to provide via pm. Kirk

:drool: WILL DO

meh, i need to put some decent runtime on that little chap once awhile now...

ran two sets of batteries on that bulb, but thats over 4 months ago.

i dont need another, let someone who does need it take it:grin2:

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had both a Scorpion and TL-2 and handled my friend's SF G2. Of the 3, I like the beam of the G2 the most, even tho it's more oval than the SLs. Between the Scorpion and TL-2, I like the TL-2 better. The rubber body of the Scorpion is fine to hold, but I prefer the feel of the aluminum on the TL-2 and the TL-2 has the best body texturing of any light I've ever held (along with the TL-3, same texturing). The TL-2 is a bit more tho (even tho I got mine for $38, but they're typically more) and provides the same performance as the Scorpion. The thing I didn't like about the Scorpion was that to adjust focus, you're essentially unscrewing the head. On the TL-2, the focus is on the very top bezel, not the head (which is permanently a part of the body). I also prefer the tactical tailcap of the TL-2, but the Scorpion's clicky is easy to use also.
If you like the Scorpion, just get that as the TL-2 is pricier. The price I got for my TL-2 was from a vendor that's typically not recommended...but I've never seen anyone come close to that vendor's price.