My CR123 LxT has 3 levels

CeilingDweller

Newly Enlightened
I've had my CR123 adapter for about 2 weeks now and had my L2T for a few months. Tonight while playing with the light with the CR123 adapter I noticed I could give it three different distinct output levels. Starting high I switch to low then carefully twisting back toward high, I have found a spot half way between the start of low and the start of high, a in-between level...Twist it tightly and the light goes on high. I don't see much use for this level but it's there on mine. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? If I twist it slowly enough I can achieve an almost variable output as well. I have noticed it before but thought maybe it was a freak thing but now I can find it easily. Tell me what you think.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like anodising on the threads or some form of contamination in there. If you check the threads and give them a really good clean it may stop it from happening. Remember that the body is part of the circuit and the threads are where alot of problems arise.

Matt Sutton

Newly Enlightened
Mine does the same. It requires a quick and solid twist to get to the highest output.

stoven

Newly Enlightened
The threads are exposed since that is how it is powered in low mode. Bottoming out the head turns it to high mode. I think when you turn it until it barely bottoms out there is only a small contact surface which causes it to act like a resistor outputting a lower power. Tightening it down causes the contact surface to increase reducing the resistance increasing the light output.

CeilingDweller

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Concept! I have been here for sometime under the handle 'mechanic in the night'. I couldn't stand that handle anymore so I started a new account. The light does work very well, its just that I have to deliberately and tediously find that middle spot. Thanks for the trouble shooting advice none the less.

Stoven is exactly right. Thanks for clarifying that for us (me) Stoven. If I give it a good solid seat against the rim of the tube thats when I get my high level. Don't give it a good contact with the rim and I get enough resistance to get that in between level. Makes perfect sense now.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
My P1 does that too. Although it delivers very inconsistent lower outputs, it's more like a strobe, too much flickering.:scowl:

Last edited: