What I've been buying with your donations

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I\'ve been buying with your donations

JUST KIDDING!

OK. *long inhale* I had a POS 1990 Ford Aerostar. The AC went out. I suffered and drove with the windows down. But then the rainy season started here. And the defroster doesn't work without the AC. So it was spend $500+ to get it fixed or buy a new car. I already sank $1,000 into it and the AC wasn't going to be the last repair. I needed something reliable to get my kids to daycare and school.

After dropping off the kids I thought I'd go find the local Mitsubishi dealer. They had that 0 down, 0 interest, 0 payments for a year deal going. I thought I'd go check out and see what they had. And if I would qualify.

After driving and looking for 20-30 minutes I finally found the local dealership. There were a few cars. It was not as big as I hoped. But I went and looked. Nice cars especially the Spyder.

So the salesman/manager and I go inside and check out my credit. I gave him my info so he could look me up. The check is supposed to be instantaneous. But it was taking a while and we started BS'ing. My brother used to be a car salesman and I started asking business questions to pass the time. Out of the blue he asks me "do you want a job?" "Sure." I say. (I might have yelled. I don't remember.)

So there I am filling out two piles of paper. One for the car and one for a job! While I'm filling them out I hear on the radio that there's a waterspout heading towards St. Pete. My soon to be ex works at McDill which is across the water from St. Pete. I try to call her on her cell phone to see if she's alright. No answer. So now I'm distracted. I don't know what the hell I'm signing. I might have sold my soul. I don't know.
tongue.gif

Well, he said I don't qualify for the year but I qualify for 7 months. Good enough. When filling out the credit I told him to start at the top and go from there. That meant the 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Click here for 6 Hi-Res photos of my new ride! (Long load time.)

I'll retake the engine pic tomorrow.

I took the pee test before going to my old job. I went to work not knowing what I would get. Because they were going to try one more time on the credit check. The 7 months was an inhouse deal. I think. And not sure if I really had a new job lined up.

Got a call from the sales manager at my old job and he said I qualified for the 7 months deal. He would stop by and have me sign the papers. Woohoo! the car is officially mine!

I passed the drug test and have set July 1st as my first day on the job. If I'm good enough there should be no more need for donations for CPF.

P.S. The waterspout did not hit land. My wife did not die in a tornado. She's fine.

And yes, I was driving down the highway with "Days go by" playing on the stereo.
grin.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What I\'ve been buying with your donations

HUUUMMMMM...1990 Ford Aerostar to a 2003 Eclipse. Sounds like a man prepareing for the single life change. Been there, done that. I hope it stays a congenial devorce. Mine was. It's a big help for the kids. TX

Saaby

Flashaholic

But a Mitsu isn't a SAAB, commence Sweedish brainwashing

NO just kidding

Nice ride, although I've yet to see it, geocities crapped out on your file transfer limit. If you want to eMail them to me I'll upload them to my space and then give you the addresses or whatever...I'm not offering image hosting for everyone, just in this one special case, I mean it involves a car (my primary hobby)

Did I mention I get my permit in exactly one week? Life is good, after that? A job which will give me the much needed fundage I need for FLASHLIGHTS

and then maybe after that I will get better at keeping my posts on topic
wink.gif

Darell

Flashaholic

David -

You are *so* unmarried now! Come on over to the left side of the country so we can drag...

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, couldn't get to the Geocities pic, so went and had a look at the Mitsubishi website. Pretty sweet - gotta love the copy though -

"Stealth is not an option. Dark hat and sunglasses? Forget those too, your days of slipping by unnoticed are about to be over. Say hello to the totally brash, completely exhilarating, way-out-there conversation starter."

Ahh, to have a car. Its been too long...but not much longer, hopefully I should be moving back to Australia in another year or so, and I'll definitely be getting a nice car, to make up for all these years away.

Graham

Darell

Flashaholic

Why are you guys all having trouble with the shots, I wonder. They all load in about two seconds on this end...

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ahh, now it works. The bandwidth timelimit must have just expired.

Mmmm, very nice. The tires still have the 'showroom fresh' shine to them, too..

Small, though. I have to admit, I like something with room in the back.
For a glimpse at the sort of car we Australians like, have a look here.

For something which is a little more standard (what I like), take a look here.

Darn, now I'm getting homesick..

Graham

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Don't speak so fast. I got two pictures, and then a Javascript popup error box and then nothing but those evil red X's in boxes after that. (Yes, I tried all the usual tricks to load/reload the failed pics). Hit the bandwidth ceiling right in the middle of viewing the page, darn those Geosh*tties a**holes.

Nice looking wheels though, for what I saw of it. Same color as my scooter too - kind of a reddish, burgundy, candy-apple maroon kind of color.
smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic

I must just be special. Just tried a third time with no problem (yes, NOT from Cache) I'll stop loading them though, so you guys'll have a chance to see them at some point
smile.gif

rycen

Enlightened

Graham with cars like that I just might move!!I like the SS model.

Saaby

Flashaholic

Nice wheels today, pics actually loaded today (and quick too...broadband is a beautiful thing) yesterday I didn't get evil red Xs just a unfriendly error that said you'd reached yor file transfer limit..

Looks like it could go fast, just out of curiosity how high does the speedometer go and how far apart are the numbers spaced?? The faster the car (or the faster they want you to think it goes anyway...darn governers) usually the further spaced the speedo is but not always...

Actualy had soemthing meaningful to say but that was somehow pushed out of the back of my mind by the pics

***EDIT*** Just remembered...Nice car but it looks like somone already grafitied your license plate
wink.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast

They won't load on my computer & I'm useing cable modem. TX

Saaby

Flashaholic

Still working from here...what did you get? An official geocities error or jots of little red Xs?

Bad Influence

Newly Enlightened

Nice ride! What are the performance specs on that?

You should consider getting different tires though. I have a Ford ZX2 with those RS/A's, and they really don't grab too well. I spin my tires constantly without meaning to.
rolleyes.gif

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some LoRes versions

Specs:

Total babe magnet: 0-3 seconds
Envious stares from mini-van drivers: all day
Gas mileage: horrible
Looks from other new Eclipse owners: Almost every one. There's a brotherhood/sisterhood going on there.

Greta

Flashaholic

Does the blue dot on the back come standard or did you have to pay extra?

Saaby

Flashaholic

It works both ways. If he puts a gallon of gas in the trunk he can drive cross country and that gas will still be there. If his batteries die...he can't put the gas in, so it indeed would be Zero miles per gallon.

Darell

Flashaholic

You just wouldn't believe how many people *still* ask me what the mileage is after hearing it is a full EV. When I go on to tell them there is NO WAY to put gasoline into the thing, the response is usually "yeah, I'd heard they didn't get the gas mileage that the mfg's were claiming."

Huh?

Saaby

Flashaholic

Lets take this just a bit futter off topic...then maybe we'll come back

Did you ever read the article in Car & Driver about the Honda hybrid? I know you don't like hybrids as much, but it was funny because Honda held a contest to see which magazine could drive the thing and get the best gas miliage, so being the crazy people they are, the people at C&D got a Ford Excursion and made a special plywood board to fit just below the tail-gate and drive the Honda just behind the Excursion with the taildoors open, so in other words...it had something around 0 drag (Well there was some drag, but it was alsmot nothing).

Needless to say C&D won with something like 168 MPG...but if you add in the milage of the Excurstion and take an average that number is significantly lower...I'll have to scan the article and put it up for everyone to read.