Things that go KA-BOOOOOM!!!

beam_me_up

Enlightened
Sorry I know this is in the wrong thread but...there is no thread for this subject! Afterall fireworks can be a source of light
smile.gif
Anyone have anything special they'd like to share?

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only that they're one of the things I like about Japan - decent fireworks are still legal here for the general public.

In Summer here, you can get them at just about any store, even the 7-Eleven..everything from little sparkly things, to proper sized rockets.

I aim to get as much out of them as I can before I move back to Australia (the only legal 'firework' there is a sparkler..)

Graham

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Graham:
I aim to get as much out of them as I can before I move back to Australia (the only legal 'firework' there is a sparkler..)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lucky you! Even a whimpy little sparkler will get you a year in the greybar hotel here. And I don't even want to think what the fine would be on top of that.

You can get fireworks at the indian reservations, and you can discharge them there too; but the cops will actually wait on the outskirts and try to nail you leaving the area with them.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Well, with that 700%, you have to take a bit for yourself when you're in a job that could kill you given even half a mistake...

The firework display for Her Majesty The Queen's Golden Jubilee was the most impressive I've ever seen.

I love firework displays. I even have a dts-CD with a firework display soundtrack that gives my sub a workout.

Al

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
I love firework displays. I even have a dts-CD with a firework display soundtrack that gives my sub a workout.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love the sound they make - from a huge magnesium flashbang to a lowly "Whistling Moon Traveler". I live only a mile or two away from the center of the large "4th of Julivars" public display here in Seattle, and I make it a point to get as close to the action as I can every year, and this year will be no different except that I'll have a better camera.
smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Utah is so rediculously dry this year I was surprised to see fireworks in the store at all! Things are quite limited here though, nothing that shoots higer than 12 inches or something, but being about 2 hours away from Evanston WY (All fireworks legal all year long) you see your share of "illegal" fireworks.

There is a racetrack close to my house and they do a fireworks display more or less weekly throughout July, and as you can see their stadium lights from the top floor of the hosue, and sometimes even hear the announcer when you're outside (Not enough to comprehend what they're saying, but you can hear it) the display is quite nice from here
tongue.gif

Darn pyros
wink.gif

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, being able to get fireworks here is what I used to dream of when I was at school. Probably a good thing I couldn't though - I think every teenage boy has a bit of pyromaniac in him..

That said, they also have some amazing firework displays here every year. A lot of prefectures have them, and its something of a competition to see which is the best.

Until now, though, I think the best I've ever seen was in 1997, at the handover of Hong Kong to China. The displays they did on Victoria Harbour were amazing (and I was fortunate enough to be working on the 20th or so floor of a building overlooking the harbour, which gave a fantastic view)

Graham

Saaby

Flashaholic
Wasn't going to bring it up but does anyone remember/did anyone watch the fireworks display for closing ceremonies of the Olympics?

There was a funny story about the fireworks for the olympics a while back...different companies were going to be doing "demos" of sorts to try and win the Olympic account, somehow the date and location leaked out but it was some restricted place (I can't for the life of me remember where, a military base or something). People parked out by the fences hoping to see quite a display!

WaltH

Enlightened
My brother is in the fireworks business and I've got a big stock of 3 inch mortars to shoot this year. 1000 feet in the air and 3 separate explosions per mortar. Also some 3 foot rockets which are pretty cool. My neighbors love me on the 4th, Christmas, New Years, Birthdays, special weekends. Sure glad I'm getting them for cost. Speaking of which, average markup at the fireworks stands is 700%. Quite the profit margin.

beam_me_up

Enlightened
my current favorite are those pull strings that emit an incredibly loud bang. try tying one to a toilet seat and watch as an unsuspecting victem raises it up only to be scared sh*tless by a loud bang
smile.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
Watching people raise toilet seats hasn't quite crossed my mind as a form of entertainment.
tongue.gif
shocked.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Empath:
Watching people raise toilet seats hasn't quite crossed my mind as a form of entertainment.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then would watching people lower toilet seats be considered a form of entertainment?
wink.gif
tongue.gif