Manhattan flashlight shopping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carrot

Flashaholic
The only place I can think of is Paragon Sports, in Union Square near the Village. They have a decent selection of Surefires and a few other brands.

There's also an Army-Navy store somewhere that stocks a good selection too, but I haven't been there yet, nor can I remember exactly where it was.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
This same question came up last year. Try the Search feature here.

I recall there are several Police Supply shops that carry a good selection. There's a small one somewhere in the low 20's near the Academy and Grammercy Park, and bigger one downtown behind City Hall (Iron something?) that also has a web site.

Good luck.

Akubra

Newly Enlightened
There is a police supply store located on Park Row, called NY Ironworks. They also have a website... .

Been there twice, and once got a Surefire. I think they stock other brands too, though.

Edit : thats sounds like the one Tonkinwarrior mentioned.

rcashel11

Newly Enlightened
There's also an Army-Navy store somewhere that stocks a good selection too, but I haven't been there yet, nor can I remember exactly where it was.

That's the Iceberg Army-Navy Surplus store at 455 Broadway.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Akubra said:
There is a police supply store located on Park Row, called NY Ironworks. They also have a website... .

Been there twice, and once got a Surefire. I think they stock other brands too, though.

Edit : thats sounds like the one Tonkinwarrior mentioned.

Don't you have to be in law enfrocement to buy from there? :thinking:

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Sinjz said:
Don't you have to be in law enfrocement to buy from there? :thinking:

Not necessarily -- but it helps if you walk the walk and talk the talk. So, if you look like Boy George and smell like Michael Moore, don't even bother.

Some discounts may be available to LEOs, and depending on their mood, they may or may not sell you certain items. Typical NYPD insider secret-handshake games, i.e., "youse cheap civilians shouldn't know or ask about dis stuff."

See their website... or just call 'em.

wmirag

Enlightened
Go to OpticsHQ on the web instead. Register with them and give them the CPF5 discount code. They have great prices and great service. They stock lots of SureFires.

If you want to SEE the lights, go to Grand Central, take the Harlem Line on Metro North up to White Plains. There is a store in the Westchester Mall (walking distance from the train) called the Swiss Store. They have lots of Surefires and many other lights - at list prices.

W.

secamp32

Newly Enlightened
The Swiss Army store in the Westchester Mall in White Plains has a great selection of lites including Surefire, Streamlight and Innova. They also have a great selection of knives including SAK, Spiderco, and Benchmade. I was just there last week and they some new Surefire displays. As WMIRAG said it looks like everything is list price. Its on the top level, in the food court area.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
When I was in NYC I think I found the Army / Navy store. They had a nice selection of Surefires but they were all recommended retail price. Some of them though came with a free t-shirt.

I'm not sure if it was the Army / Navy store, but from memory it was just off Canal Street in Chinatown.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I don't look like Boy George, but I'm not sure about the smelling like Michael Moore thing. :grin2: Wanna give me some tips on how to 'walk the walk and talk the talk'? :) I've been in the store to check out some 5.11 stuff, but never bought anything. I had a friend go in looking for a laser site for his air gun, he was denied. There's a little note on the entrance that says something about for law enforcement only. I'm sure most people just don;t bother after seeing that. :shrug: Have you been to this particular store?

TonkinWarrior said:
Not necessarily -- but it helps if you walk the walk and talk the talk. So, if you look like Boy George and smell like Michael Moore, don't even bother.

Some discounts may be available to LEOs, and depending on their mood, they may or may not sell you certain items. Typical NYPD insider secret-handshake games, i.e., "youse cheap civilians shouldn't know or ask about dis stuff."

See their website... or just call 'em.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
lightemup said:
When I was in NYC I think I found the Army / Navy store. They had a nice selection of Surefires but they were all recommended retail price. Some of them though came with a free t-shirt.

I'm not sure if it was the Army / Navy store, but from memory it was just off Canal Street in Chinatown.

That's Iceberg, already mentioned above. I didn't know they gave free shirts though. :)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always found it kind of humorous (and also a little pathetic) as to how employees in gun stores and some uniform stores seem to make up their own interpretations of laws or create little procedures to limit their business potential.

While it may be one thing to refuse to sell something like an ASP baton in a state where possession may be prohibited, it doesn't make a lot of sense to turn away the sale of a Surefire 6P or a Streamlight TL-2, though some yahoo clerk wannabee might even make up something about the light being too bright for civilian usage. :laughing:

Sinjz said:
There's a little note on the entrance that says something about for law enforcement only.

rcashel11

Newly Enlightened
Sinjz said:
There's a little note on the entrance that says something about for law enforcement only.

I've seen the sign. I'm assuming it's to permit entry to LEOs without their having to pass through the metal detectors at the entrance. Just a very wild guess.
thinking.gif

super64

Newly Enlightened
Iceberg has a decent selection of surefires
to fondle but their prices on surefires are
usually *above* SF msrp.

I haven't gone to Ironworks in 5 years just
because I remember their prices on pistols
were so relatively high.

quokked

Enlightened
I tried to find a place to get surefires last time i was in NY (it's not a very fun pursuit when you're stuck in the YHA)
Iceberg seemed to be the place, the guy i talked to said that surefires is one of their biggest draws *meh*
Just for completeness this is their full contact detials
Iceberg Army-Navy
455 Broadway New York City
212-226-8454
www.icebergarmynavy.com

(got that off the front of my Surefire Catalogue) i got there :)
and they let you play with the lights too, most of them have some pretty flat cells
:D

Last edited:

falconz

Newly Enlightened
Sinjz said:
That's Iceberg, already mentioned above. I didn't know they gave free shirts though. :)

No t-shirt given to me, but they did gave me 4 SF catalogues and a SF Calendar!! Just for purchasing an E2e! And I manage to negotiate below MSRP!

Akubra

Newly Enlightened
Well, NY Ironworks is in (or close to) Chinatown too, if Im not mistaken.
Ive been to their store in 1995, and there were no problems shopping there as a civilian. Now in 2004, the store looked like it was closed, so I had a look at the storefront and noticed the sign (saying something about "LEO only"-or something to that effect). I was a bit diappointed and was on my way, when a guy that was standing outside, asked me what I was looking for.
When I replied that I wanted a Surefire, he basically told me to go inside... .

So yeah, not sure what their policy is-I guess they arent that restrictive, after all?!

Status
Not open for further replies.