What is the best bet for acquiring a PS3?

phatalbert

Enlightened
I'm sure comments and comparisons about the PS3 could fill a few threads but I specifically want to know what is my best shot for getting one at the normal price. Right now waiting at Wal-Mart for a few hours is at the top of the list for me...Thoughts? :grin2:

vujk

Newly Enlightened
I was in line for the 360 release at walmart, If I was to make a guess I would say that a "few hours" for a ps3 would have to be at least 10 hours to guarantee a console. I am not sure about ps3 quantities, but with christmas close I am sure people will be coming out of the wood works for this one. Best of luck to you.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bring friends with you so that you can protect your place in line, otherwise it may be taken away from you. Also, if you go to a Wal*Mart, make sure that it is one of the stores that will be carrying the product. You'll also want to insure that the store that you go to actually has inventory and that the store's allocation didn't "fall off of the truck" (and enroute to eBay).

phatalbert said:
I'm sure comments and comparisons about the PS3 could fill a few threads but I specifically want to know what is my best shot for getting one at the normal price. Right now waiting at Wal-Mart for a few hours is at the top of the list for me...Thoughts? :grin2:

Last edited:

frisco

Enlightened
ps3compsmnf1.jpg

This is Number one of the first 13 retail units in the United States !!!!

Photo by frisco for SONY

frisco

phatalbert

Enlightened
Yeah, I just talked to the Wal-Mart people and they said that folks lined up as early as 6:00 A.M. for the 360 release :awman:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/11/10/ps3_bestbuy_burbank_line/

Burbank (CA) - People are willing to go through hell to get the upcoming Sony PlayStation 3 console and there are already lines forming for November 17th launch. We went to the Best Buy store in Burbank where people started lining up on Monday November 6th, 11 days. Watch our video as one guy explains how he quit his job to stand in line, while another won't be buying his girlfriend an engagement ring anytime soon.

Food and drinks weren't a problem because the group brought a cooler full of sodas, bottled water and other beverages. There were plenty of fast-food restaurants within walking distance and fellow group members along with Best Buy employees were happy to save spots. Employees also let the group use the restrooms inside.

Waiting in line for more than a week is bad enough, but some in the group called off sick and one guy even quit his job to stand in line. To make it even worse, the one who called in sick has postponed his engagement with his girlfriend because the money that would have gone into buying a ring will be used to buy a PlayStation 3.

The last guy in line didn't want to go on camera, but he told us that he wasn't sure if there were enough PlayStation 3 consoles. Apparently Best Buy employees are very tight lipped on exactly how many consoles the store will be receiving.

You may remember the media reports of people being robbed of their Xbox 360 consoles during last year's launch, but this group won't let that happen. They have vowed to 'back each other up' if anything happens and even boasted that an armed robber won't take them down. "He won't have enough bullets to take us all down," said one guy. They added that the police have been quite nice and are regularly drive by to check on the group.

Some passing customers asked if the line was for concert tickets or for a musician signing, while others gave weird looks, but these guys took it in stride, saying, "They look at us like we have nothing to do... but we are getting a PlayStation 3."

Update: Note from Corporate is that Best Buy will not allow line-up until Thursday and there will be 20 units per store.

So if you wait in line and are #21...ferget-it. ;)

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think all the drama about a game system is over rated, i remember last year when the xbox 360 were to be released, I was going into best buy with some friends for a few things and i saw a bunch of people camping outside the store, I asked them" whats going on" they said they are waiting for the x box 360 to come out TOMORROW. As far as the units are concerned, i believe they had 20 avail, I heard this from the guy at best buy a few weeks ago, they were only letting people in the store 5 at a time, and it turns out that some people did not have enough cash of the credit card did not work..

I would be curious to see peoples predictions of what price will be next year this time

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the PS2 came out, Blockbuster would actually rent the console out. I remember people getting it through that. Rent the console the day it comes out, and just keep it paying the "late" and "lost" fee's

Not sure if they rent the console out anymore though.

-C

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
2000xlt said:
I think all the drama about a game system is over rated

Pretty much. I have a co-worker who said he waited on the price drop for the PS2 and also said besides, by the time the console price gets reasonable, there's a good library of games released.
Can't argue with that logic as the only game I've seen so far for the PS3 line-up that would be decent is F.E.A.R., but you can play that on PC for 30 bucks right now.

I just wait the games out til they get ported to PC (if they do at all) However, I may have to rent a console or something when Resident Evil 5 comes out.(in 2007)
I wanna play that real bad.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, if memory recall is correct, didn't they have problems with the early x-boxes or am I thinking of something else? As these systems become more and more sophisticated, I would think it dramatically increases the chances that perhaps there may be initial kinks.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
geepondy said:
Also, if memory recall is correct, didn't they have problems with the early x-boxes or am I thinking of something else? As these systems become more and more sophisticated, I would think it dramatically increases the chances that perhaps there may be initial kinks.

Yeah I heard the X-Box 360 had some intial issues. Sony is supposed to be settling a class action suit in 2007 over so many issues with the laser on the PS2s.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait.

Seriously, wait until it's cheaper, easier to get, and bugs are worked out. I heard on the radio a 19yr old kid ran into a light pole and knocked himself out when walmart said Go! after setting up 10 chairs outside to secure a spot for the 10 units they had.

But if you do get one from walmart, I'd sell it on ebay and make a grand or so!! :naughty:

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't be a sheep and follow the morons waiting in line for one. If it's for your kids, use this to teach them a valuable lesson in patience. Hell, it's just a ficeo game system. And it's not really any better than the 360. The only differences between consoles are the exclusives. Other than that, there really is nothing to make one better than the other. The Wii does have a spiffy controller, but until it's released and used, it might just be a bit too gimicky.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Best Bet?.... Wait 6 months for the price to go down, and the supply to go up.