L1 tailcap question

h2xblive

Enlightened
I just got my L1 today and have been playing with it, but noticed something strange. I turned the tailcap so the light was on full brightness to run down the battery and see how long it would last. When I turned the L1 off, it would turn off before passing by the low-light mode. After the L1 was completely off, and I tried to turn it back on, it didn't have a low-light mode any longer. This was the case even when the L1 was cold. However, if I took off the tailcap completely, then put it back on, I could get my low-light mode back, although it was dimmer than normal. After a while, I just left the switch alone and kept the L1 in high-mode.

When the light in high-mode started dimming, I turned the L1 off. When I tried to turn it back on, nothing worked (the light had been on for a total of 2+ hours in high-mode with about 5 minutes of break total).

After popping in a new battery, everything was back to normal, as it should be.

So my question is, when the battery is becoming drained, is it normal for the tailswitch to be acting weird like I described?

Chris201W

Enlightened
I can't answer your question about the L1 specifically, but I can tell you that my A2 (same tailcap as L1) also does weird things when the battery is low. I don't know if these oddities in my A2 and your L1 are something to do with the 2-stage tailcap, or separate, unrelated issues with our two lights.

I'd wait until someone more knowledgeable than me replies before making any conclusions about the light.

By the way, it wouldn't hurt to call Surefire and see what they say.

Max Brightness

Enlightened
The low mode on the L1 is not regulated. As the battery drains, the low mode will disappear leaving only the high mode to run down.

This is normal.

h2xblive

Enlightened
Max Brightness said:
The low mode on the L1 is not regulated. As the battery drains, the low mode will disappear leaving only the high mode to run down.

This is normal.

Ahhhhh, that certainly does explain alot.

Thanks for the info.