128xLED 6xAA flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 128xLED 6xAA flashlight on Ebay

Well, it certainly looks impressive.. this is a review I really, really want to see!!!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

wow, I bet it puts out some light with that many of them leds. Is that the most in a torch yet? At over 3" head, it could be a host for multiple luxeons with small reflectors too :D

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

My evaluation is now up at http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/seventh/128led.htm
128 LEDs is the most I've ever seen in a flashlight ("torch" for UK viewers).
The head is ~3.4" in diameter, so it could indeed host multiple Luxeons + optics or reflectors.

It does produce a lot of light; the beam is so large that mcd readings will appear lower than expected - you'd need an integrating sphere to get the true amount of light, but I do not own or have access to one of these instruments.

Last edited:

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a 100x5mm that runs off 4xAA. On fresh batteries, that thing has more output than my U2.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast

(grin) Just like.
EDIT: My switch is fine, but batteries aren't easy to get in and out of the holder and the glue for the pleather has a distinct smell.

Last edited:

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

:green: I actually snort something out of my nose looking at the pic from the link you posted Craig.

I dont get it, how long does it take for them to put all these 128 leds together? Wouldnt it be more cost and time effective to use 5 luxeon (clone) instead?

anyway, have you measured current going into them cluster? I figure they are being driven pretty hard, just like any other multiple leds flashlight), so after 3 months or so, would expect one of the led to dim/blink out of life.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I got ~12.74mA apiece.
There are five 1/4W resistors on the underside of the PCB in the 128 LED flashlight...let's see if I can determine what resistance they are...BBS...looks like 5.6 ohms.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

How's the output compare to the 100 LED torch? I've got one of the 100s, but I like the all aluminum look of the 128. I don't know why I like these lights. I guess it's because of the cool afterburner look. The first one I got didn't even work, had it send it back. The way the batter carrier fits up in the 100 LED model is pretty neat, though.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

The_LED_Museum said:
100xLED flashlight: 566,000mcd
128xLED flashlight: 778,000mcd
:)

Hmmm...I didn't think it'd be that much brighter. Is it much brighter to the eye?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just attemped to compare the two side-by-side, but the batteries in my 100xLED unit have pooped out, and I do not have any known-new AA cells to try - and it will be early-December at the earliest before I can afford any...sorry about that. :shakehead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts