The ideal light for a Locksmith?

ufd538

Newly Enlightened
I am a locksmith and have been seaching for that ideal flashlight for my pocket. I have been using led lights probably since the were widely availible, and have used the dorcy AAA and the dorcy 2xAA, and mini mags with the nite-ize led.

I really like the dorcy AAA, size wise and is usually as bright as I need, but they really don't hold up. Either the washer gets them...sometimes they work fine afterward, and sometimes never the same, but usually work afterwards. But the main problem seems to be after a while they need a shake or smack if they don't come on or go out while in use, and I tend to use them alot so it gets annoying. Just looking for something nicer.

So here are my requirements:

EDC worthy
a little slimmer than the dorcy...smaller the better, I don't want a constant reminder that it is in my pocket
brightness probably isn't an issue, I am sure anything recommended will be as good or better the dorcy
Primary use...looking in keyholes and other tight spaces, doing up close chores at night(unlocking cars, doors, making keys, taking stuff apart)
Good battery life would be nice
Standard batteries, I am thinking a AAA light
And if I have not been clear, durability

Now from what I have read, it seems that the peak matterhorn or arc AAA are my ideal light...not sure, but it seems as though people lean toward the arc? Peak offers more accessories, but I don't really know if I would want any of them, maybe the flat lug. Anyhow those seem to be the main two that would be ideal, I would be thankful for all opinions about the two or suggestions for any other models or brands or whatever.

On a side point I came accross this light on ebay, I don't plan to buy, as I am tired or wasting money on cheap lights, but seems a blatant rip off the the arc and/or matterhornl

http://cgi.ebay.com/Finally-1-Watt-LED-1-Regular-AAA-Torch-Flashlight-Wow_W0QQitemZ300047701098QQihZ020QQcategoryZ20760QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyways thank you

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Matterhorns and Arcs are both good choices, especially if you're satisfied with the output of the Dorcy. Another brand to consider is Fenix. They have a number of AAA powered lights of varying output that are also good values. If you haven't already been to the flashlightreviews site, it's a great place to compare most of the possibilities.

Welcome to CPF. You've definitely come to the right place for suggestions.

Geoff

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF.
tinfoilhat.gif

First of all, Arc-P's rule IMO....but, you may like to consider the Fenix E1-47...this light has a really nice beam and will run for 5 hours on one lithium AAA cell (2 hours on a standard alkaline) - $60 from fenix-store.

http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_30&products_id=107

Review...

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_e1-47.htm

Not *quite* up to the build quality of an Arc-P, but a very smart light IMO. Might be just the thing you are looking for if you want a tiny light with a good white beam.

CFU

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
Hello and welcome to CPF!!!!

Well, the light you linked to is better known here as the "Chinese clone" or the "Arc Clone". We recently had a group buy, and actually went through 1500, I believe. The light comes out of the package with a loose fit between the head and body (99 out of a 100). A bit of Teflon tape wrapped on the heads cures this problem. The light also comes with no battery pad (a soft gasket between the battery and head when the head is withdrawn to the "off" position to eliminate battery rattle). This is also an easily resolved issue, as Lowes Home Improvement Center sells a Neopreme washer that's exactly the right size, or you can make your own.

Now, the clone itself projects a slightly off-white beam (not really blue like your Dorcy, but more of a very light grey), with a hotspot of medium size, and some spill in another distinct ringed area. Overall the light is more than decent with good runtime. The light is bright enough for night time navigation along the trail or in a dark room. It is very lightweight, and quite at home on keychain or neck lanyard. The knurling is very evident, making the light easy to grip with wet hands, and also easy to mouth or lip hold.

If you get one, and decide you would like it brighter, MillerMods here on CPF can modify it for you. I have a MillerMods 3/4 watt Lux on a neck lanyard that is a serious floodlight ideal for illuminating a room or campsite.
I carry two keyrings, and a clone resides on each one. I also find them ideal for the middle of the night trip down the hall. I like them more than the famous and highly regarded Arc-P as I don't care for blue tints.

Another consideration would be the AAA lights from Fenix. The L0P-SE, L0P, E1, and E0 are all basically the same size, but vastly different from each other. They all offer performance and quality.

The peak lights are also highly regarded, but aren't as small as the Arc, the clone, or the Fenix E0.

I would suggest you try the clone, and then hang onto your wallet as you'll be hooked!

CodeOfLight

Newly Enlightened
I second on the E1-47. Smallest, brightest AAA rechargeable Nimh light you can buy. At $60, it is a steal. I bought one for my wife to read at night, she loves it. I will be getting another one. Before going to bed at night, she just pops a NiMH bat off of the charger, puts the old one in and she is ready to go. Regulated output for about 2.25 hours. About as big around as a pencil, half as long. Stick a piece of velcro to the side, and one to your baseball cap and you have the perfect headlight. Carry several AAA spare batts with you and you are set to go.

Last edited:

Meeshi_ma

Newly Enlightened
I'll second the Millermods Arc (got one on my keychain right now, with a Cree one ordered)

However, I'm pretty sure that he isn't modding the clones anymore since they were harder to work with (I may be wrong though)

The Arc is a very durable little light that seems to regularly survive trips through the washer (if reading these forums is any indication)

Good luck!

-Brian

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got about 5 of the chinese arc knockoffs. I would not recommend them. The quality control is terrible and they vary considerably from piece to piece (internal diameter, threading etc).

I have an arc-aaa p. These are bulletproof, rocksolid, hard-working, excellent lights. If you must have the best, go for the arc-aaa p because they will be the most reliable of the lot. If you want something that will not fail, the arc will satisfy you.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak Baltic in HA. In stainless just about indestructable but might be a little heavy.
It's availible in different brightness levels also. AAA battery, nice and small.

LowTEC

Enlightened
For your application, I think Fenix E0 would be the best choice for you.
As working with locks, you don't really need a very bright EDC like E1-47 or L0P-SE, they are too bright that you might have trouble seeing the locks. E0 has the lowest output (still very adaquate for your application) with VERY long reliable runtime. Plus, it's cheap, small and durable
:rock:

"Output is good, a bit more than half that of an Arc AAA, which is often considered the "standard" for AAA powered 5mm keychain lights. This lower level of output produces plenty of light for close range personal tasks, and provides for a very long runtime, but to your eyes the difference in output between the two appears fairly small. Using an alkaline cell, output is regulated for about 8½ hours and then drops."

from flashlightreviews.com

Last edited:

rufusdufus

Newly Enlightened
A headlight is what you need.

Look at Jewellers and Doctors,they wear headlights and so do I when I need to do a small fiddly job.

Take a look at PRINCETON TECH APEX.

LowTEC

Enlightened
rufusdufus said:
A headlight is what you need.

Look at Jewellers and Doctors,they wear headlights and so do I when I need to do a small fiddly job.

Take a look at PRINCETON TECH APEX.

READ:
" EDC worthy
a little slimmer than the dorcy...smaller the better, I don't want a constant reminder that it is in my pocket"

LowTEC

Enlightened
CodeOfLight said:
I second on the E1-47. Smallest, brightest AAA rechargeable Nimh light you can buy. At $60, it is a steal. .....Regulated output for about 2.25 hours. ..... Carry several AAA spare batts with you and you are set to go.

READ:
" brightness probably isn't an issue.....
Primary use...looking in keyholes and other tight spaces, doing up close chores at night(unlocking cars, doors, making keys, taking stuff apart)
Good battery life would be nice"

LED Cool

Enlightened
i also second the Fenix LOP SE.

3 levels of output for your different needs. and 3 types of runtime to match the different complexity of the jobs.

sometimes you need brighter light for complicated locks that has more bearings, located deep inside the locks, to pick at.

sometimes you a lower intensity light to reduce the reflection from the shinny surface surrounding the locks/keyhole.

sometimes you need long runtime for difficult/time consuming jobs.

also you must consider carrying a few spare AAA batteries in case you run into special locks that require bright light and long runtime.

An AA size light with hi/low output would probably suit your needs better as it has higher output and longer runtime than any AAA lights.

depends on how many "lock picking "jobs you do in a day, an AA light can last twice as long with jobs that require bright light. with negligible price difference between AA and AAA battery, it is cheaper to run a AA light unless one preferS the smaller form factor of an AAA light.

multi-stage output AAA LED light - Fenix LOP SE.

multi-stage output AA LED light
Fenix L1T / L2T
JetBeam JET MK II
LiteFlux LF1

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I'd think a locksmith would need both a headlamp and a nice AAA factor light like the Fenix L0P SE. I would imagine you'd need both hands free to complete some tasks, which is a perfect job for a headlamp. You don't have to spend a lot of money on a decent headlamp, either. Target sells the River Rock Headlamp which uses 2AAA batteries for $15.

moontroll

Newly Enlightened
Fenix E1-47 or L0P-SE gets my vote.I got both,nice tints and power output,And the LOP-SE has three levels,bright is very bright for the little light,medium is a little less than the E1-47,LOP-SE has a tighter beam.What I like the most about these lights is you can use them in momentary by just touching(putting a little pressure)on the head.You cant use Alkalins in the LOP-SE,the high mode kills them.

x2x3x2

Banned
hmm.. i think a locksmith would like to have both his hands n fingers free.
so u could try a headlamp kinda light, or if wearing a headlamp feels abit wierd.
here are some options that come to mind.
1. finger lights, they're like rings with 5mm leds on them. look like novelty items, but pretty usefull actually.
2. there are also some which attach to a wristband form.
3. flexible gooseneck lights from led lenser, the body clips onto ur shirt pocket, and u can use the pretty long neck to point at ur work area.

Last edited: