My very first Mini-Mag light

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hello CPF'ers -

I'm 53 years old, and i am a Flashaholic.
smile.gif

Twenty-two years ago today, on 11/14/1984,
I received my very first Mini-Mag light.

Appeared in the new Eddie Bauer catalog (Christmas edition).
Had to mail-order it, of course. Since NOBODY would have it in STOCK !

Was already familiar with the fine line of Mag D-cell flashlights.
Had a collection of 3-cell, 4-cell, and 5-cell lights.
grinser2.gif

But the catalog listing sounded VERY interesting . . . .

Here was a 2-AA cell aluminum, heavy-duty pocket flashlight,
which (it was STRONGLY stated)
is as POWERFUL as a conventional 2-D cell flashlight !

I thought about how much i LOVED my big Mag-Lights . . . .
and decided that this new Mini-Mag light (if true),
would be IDEAL for an EveryDayCarry !

-- (sidenote)
For the prior 8 years, i had been carrying the Eveready 2AA chrome penlight (model 9215), in left side trouser pocket.
This unit certainly *was* quite useful, but had many shortcomings:

Exposed, protruding bulb (#222) vulnerable to damage
Rather inelegant stamped-steel construction
Pocket clip would loosen, and eventually pull-out
Switch mechanism would get dirty/dusty, and require cleaning
Ended up replacing light perhaps every year
-- (end_sidenote)

So i took a chance, and ordered this new Mini-Mag pocket light.

Don't remember the price, but was probably close to Twenty Bucks.

Ordered two twin-packs of spare bulbs, also. Always prepared.
smile.gif

Can't remember if the nylon holster came standard, or was extra.
Regardless, i got that too.

And it all arrived at my house exactly Twenty-Two years ago today !

Loaded the batteries, and turned it on . . . .

Couldn't BELIEVE how a "dinky little 2-AA light" could be so BRIGHT !
lolsign.gif

The claims in the Eddie Bauer catalog were true.
It was indeed as bright as a normal 2-D cell flashlight.

And the rest, my friends, is History . . . .

I carried that same Mini-Mag light (and later, its replacement)

virtually Every Single Day for the next 22 years ! ! !

Wore out several belt holsters.

Changed lots and lots of "blackened bulbs".
(they still worked, but didn't wanna' risk it)

And the Mini-Mag served me well.

Always very helpful, convenient, and comforting.
(i'm sure you all can relate to this !)

Now, earlier this year (2006), i finally decided to try one of those
*Fancy New LED Upgrade Modules*, which i saw on the Internet.
smile.gif

Decided on the TerraLux TLE-5 MiniStar2.

Well, Dang, if that didn't simply make my *good* light even *BETTER* ! <grin>

-- No more worries about changing Bulbs.
-- Gives even MORE light. Brighter and Whiter, too !
-- And the batteries last longer.

Woulda' probably continued using this new combo
happily fer' the rest of my life, except that i stumbled onto a Website
called CandlePowerForums.
yellowlaugh.gif

Now, (late 2006), i've upgraded my beloved Mini-Mag to their new 2AA-LED model.

And I also carry a Fenix Civictor V-1

And a Nuwai X-3

And a Photon Freedom-Max Yellow (covert nose)

And a Fenix E-0

And a Fenix E-1

lolsign.gif

Used to feel *confident and well-prepared* by carrying my Mini-Mag flashlight.

Now, i feel practically NAKED if i only carry a *single* flashlight.

(gee, what's wrong with me, Doc ?)

Anyway, thank you to my Mini-Mags, for 22 years of very faithful service.
Always came through, and never failed me.

Just wanted to share this with my fellow Flashaholics.

Lightmania

Enlightened
lol, jeez, that's one long EDC... :D

that ought to be EYC, lol.

Nice story!

Lightmania

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good one. I have had an old Mini M@g rip off for the last 11 years and until I frequented thi place I had only one small LED light. Now I'm hooked aswell.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Same here... Mag was my flashlight of choice. I had one or two others and that was it. Then I came across this site & others and all hope was lost!

Now I'm up to an Arc-P, Dorcy AAA LED, Inova X1, Pak-Lite, Pelican Supersabre Lite, Pelican Mitylite, Petzl Tikka Plus, Photon I/II/III/Freedom, Surefire G2, Surefire E1L.

And of course, a Mag 3D, AA Mini-Mag w/Nite Ize, Mag Solitaire, and a new 2AA Mini MagLED.

Now I'm patiently awaiting the new Glo-Toob 123 model, curious to see the new HDS offering, and drooling over other Surefires. When does it all end?!?! :grin2:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Good story, Burgess. I guess I followed a similar path. Still have that old (maybe twenty years) minimag. It's had some new life breathed into it with a Nite-Ize dropin and IQ switch. Sits at the ready by the bedside.

Geoff

greenLED

Flashaholic
Burgess, I can totally relate. My very first "good" light was a 2AA minimag (black) that I bought somewhere in CO 14-15 years ago. I still have it, it still works (even after a battery leaking event *years* back), and I still love it. I cannot deny that Luxeons (and now XR-E's) have taken most of the "wow" factor off my old minimag, but I still (and always will) love that light. There's something in the lines of the incan 2AA minimag that I cannot resist, nor can I explain (much like the ArcLS screams out *beauty!* in my eyes)

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
in a world of escalating prices...Mag has been excellent at keeping theirs low!

I'm still amazed at what $20.00 can get.

Awesome story!!!

WNG

Enlightened
I still have my 1st 2AA MiniMag from the 80's as well. It's black with plenty of scratches.
My 2nd one (silver) got stolen. I replaced it years later with a blue one and finally picked up a purple 2AA/2AAA double pack at Home Depot on sale. They were state of the art quality for their day.
Not sure if I want to 'upgrade' them.
Mag lights were the best for most of us who couldn't justify the cost of a Surefire.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well howdy there, young fella.

Don't know which of the following would be more appropriate:
"22 years, is that all?"
or
"Gosh! It's been that long?"

In any case its good to hear that there are people who are aware that the MiniMag was an exceptionally bright lighting instrument when it was first introduced. Certainly not something to be panned like it is these days. On the other hand it's not often that you find something outside of the computer arena that actually costs less now than it did 22 years ago!

Also good to know that there are still people around who remember Burgess batteries. ;)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and memories.

Burgess said:
Hello CPF'ers -

I'm 53 years old, and i am a Flashaholic.

Twenty-two years ago today, on 11/14/1984,
I received my very first Mini-Mag light.

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
Burgess,

Thank you for that emotional story about the Mini-mag that was your companion for so many years. I too carried a 6D cell mag for a long time then later scaled down to a 4c maglight. When i ran across CPF i knew my wallet was in for a beating. I now carry at least 3 led lights on me at all times and usually have 2 or 3 being shipped to me from somewhere.

The real beauty of CPF is you don't have to impulse buy. Most every light you could imagine has been well researched, reviewed, and evaluated so you can make a well informed purchase.

Congrats on your new baby and remember spending money on lights is an addiction. But you are among friends here. :grin2:

swampgator

Enlightened
I've had a minimag (usually on me) since June 1992. I bought my 4D and Minimag (with accessory pack) on the same day. Have had the 4D ever since and a succession of minis. In fact my wife was cleaning out a closet yesterday and found another one. Wahoo! Another light!

I have a blue mini that I found in parking lot back in 1992. When I was in the Army I painted it black with brass paint. It wore off. Then I painted it OD green. It's flaking off now but my two year old doesn't seem to care. I gave it to him and now it's his night time bedside light.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Hi Burgess,

Thanks for sharing your story, it truly was great to hear about your experience and progression with Lights.

All My Best,
John

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat story thanks for sharing. Hopefully I can post a story like yours 20 years in the future with my Fenix P1!!

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mini-mag use to be my best light, before I found this forum! I had a Madmax engine installed, sapphire lens and more recently a two way switch for it. I even had a custom holster made for it. Now I never use it, but it is still an adequate light for many purposes and I wouldn't want to sell/trade it. It seems so cheaply made compared to all these lights of today!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
bigfoot said:
Same here... Mag was my flashlight of choice. I had one or two others and that was it. Then I came across this site & others and all hope was lost!

Now I'm up to an Arc-P, Dorcy AAA LED, Inova X1, Pak-Lite, Pelican Supersabre Lite, Pelican Mitylite, Petzl Tikka Plus, Photon I/II/III/Freedom, Surefire G2, Surefire E1L.

And of course, a Mag 3D, AA Mini-Mag w/Nite Ize, Mag Solitaire, and a new 2AA Mini MagLED.

Now I'm patiently awaiting the new Glo-Toob 123 model, curious to see the new HDS offering, and drooling over other Surefires. When does it all end?!?! :grin2:

Jeez! You haven't M*gLEDed a 2,3 or 4 C or D M*g yet.

You don't have a Streamlight 4AA and/or a 3C LUX yet.

And you're asking when does it end?

:lolsign:

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing that story with us, Burgess! I think it's pretty cool that MiniMags are still selling well these days, even if they are technologically outdated. I'm sure just about everyone here at CPF has one, or did at one time.

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
Flying Turtle said:
Good story, Burgess. I guess I followed a similar path. Still have that old (maybe twenty years) minimag. It's had some new life breathed into it with a Nite-Ize dropin and IQ switch. Sits at the ready by the bedside.

Geoff

This is how I was to be doomed as well, darn minimag and a Nite-Ize drop-in.

Now I have around thirty lights, most boughten in the last three months, this place is horrible...:sssh:

J/K...but like all have said ... sure is hard on the pocket book!!!

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Yep, nice story.

I had similar experiences having carried a pair of black Minimags I bought from Campmore for around $12 each on my helmet while I served as a volunteer firefighter for 5 years beginning in 1989.

I kept the lights long after I hung up my gear. One I just recently gave to a ladyfriend but still use the other one, upgraded slightly with a Nite-Ize LED module ... my very first LED light. :)

I bought a 3rd Minimag earlier this year, a pretty copper one, equipped it with a Nite-Ize module and gave it to another special ladyfriend. She really liked it. :eek:

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I've just ordered 3 2aa maglites, not sure why, partly to have a matching pair with a black and blue 3d maglite, a bit of history, good gifts (especially engraving), and because I could :)

Back in the day I used to lug around a 3d maglite everywhere. This was up to and including 3 day hikes for scouts!!! I never had a 2aa maglite, but it would have been a bit more handy :)

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still have four MiniMags around that were purchased during the 80s. Two are really beat up, one moderately scratched up, and one is almost pristine because it was misplaced for a long time and found only recently.

All of them still work, and that says something for Mag's basic design, manufacturing, and quality control.