New pair of Fenix P1s

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a pair of Fenix P1s. One for the wife, the other for me. I also bought a 6 pack of CR123s while I was at it. However, I do have a DSD at home. What would be the better battery for this light?
CR123 or RCR123 (750mAh)

Somy Nex

Enlightened
you can expect around 2 or so hours of regulated output on a CR123 battery on the P1 (more or less depending on the capacity/quality/brand of your battery), and a long tail of dim light once it drops out of regulation. of course, once the battery is done, it's done.

on a rechargeable, you can expect much higher output, but a relatively non-regulated curve, and probably only for about 40-50 minutes before the protection circuit shuts the battery down (assuming you are using protected batteries), depending on the mAh rating of your RCR123 cell. of course once the circuit shuts the battery down, you get no light and the battery will be shut down until you pop it into the dsd charger to reset the circuit. short runtime, but you get more brightness, and of course, you can recharge these batteries as you want (and carry a spare too for more runtime, just as you carry a spare non-rechargeable).

this graph by Chevrofreak shows it pretty nicely --> http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=130671

Edit: considering lithiums have a long shelf life, i'd buy maybe 4 RCR123s and use them for everyday use, and save the primaries for extended journeys (camping, travel, etc.), spares/backups, and emergencies.

Last edited:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
That graph was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. The P1s will spend most of their time in my laptop bag and my wife's purse. The CR123s look like the ticket.
Backstory:
On Halloween (while I was out of town), she took my M@g275 (6xCBP1650s) out as a flashlight for trick or treating. Needless to say, it ran out of juice pretty soon. She was a little ticked off when I got home. I told her that if she just asked I could have pointed her at my M@g5761 (6x1/2Ds) which would have run a LOT longer. She did say that while it was running it was like the sun was out. She had to be careful where she pointed it because other people were shielding their eyes.

Now she'll always have her P1.

Last edited:

tracker870

Enlightened
JimmyM said:
I just bought a pair of Fenix P1s. One for the wife, the other for me. I also bought a 6 pack of CR123s while I was at it. However, I do have a DSD at home. What would be the better battery for this light?
CR123 or RCR123 (750mAh)

Good choice. Enjoy!
I just use CR123 in my personal P1 lights.