Kingbright Xpower

philamint

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone had any experince with these?

According to Kingbright, these are 1 watt in an SMD package and require NO HEATSINK at all.

Really?

glire

Enlightened

SemiMan

Banned
CRAP!

Yes they are 1W and darn well better put a heat sink on them or you will not get much light out. Of course, given the thermal transfer, I am not sure the heat sink is going to help much....

Semiman

philamint

Newly Enlightened
I've used Kingbright LED's for years in simple 3 or 5mm sizes. A well respected company but will take your opinion into consideration, semiman. They were one of the first off shore opto companies to make a splash.

I have several of the Xpower 1 watt's on the way.

I thought they were rated for 35 lumens or so (can't remember) without heatsinks. Did you see more output WITH a heatsink?....that's odd....they should operate at rated performance regardless.

Kinnza

Enlightened
I like Kingbright, specially because they have a good clients support, opposite to many asian companies. They dont do top end products, but have very good price/perfomance.

They dont say you can use the XPower without heatsinking, just say they can run on standard FR4, with at least 100mm2 of copper surface and mantain good perfomance. They rated the White XPower at 34.7lm at 350mA (x=.33, y=.34, about 6500K color temp) with a thermal resistance junction to air of 60K/W (very high, using FR4; led package thermal resistance is 10ºK/W). But they reccomend better thermal system in order to improve output.

Now that they are licensed by CREE to use their white chips, probably the release soon better leds.