Do I really need a HDS lens kit?

slvoid

Newly Enlightened
Well, 1 day into having my HDS EDC and OCD's already gotten the best of me. I'm eyeing the HDS EDC lens kit with the spare lens, the plastic lens, and the spare o-rings, but 30 bucks seems kinda steep for a couple of pieces of glass and rubber. Does anyone actually find a use for the spare kit?

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
It's certainly not necessary... besides the diffuser, which *might* come in handy, I don't see a huge need for extra O-Rings and lenses, unless you plan on the light going through some heavy abuse.
If you ask me, if a part breaks, order that part and replace it, and use one of your backup lights in the meantime (that's why we all have backup lights, right? :) )
john

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the lens kit and really don't think you need it, but it comes with a tool it remove the bezel which is really neat if you upgrade and purchase the Ti or ss bezel.....if you didn't get the bezel then I don't think you need the lens kit. Actually you could remove the bezel with the tool and use a snap ring pliers if you have one.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll buy a lens kit eventually, but that's just so I can have a little "HDS emergancy kit" in a Pelican case...light, spare clip, battery tube, lens kit and cells.

I don't think it's an 'essential' purchase though...I had no trouble removing my stock bezels to install my SS/tritium ones.

CFU

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's on my HDS too, more useful.

cd-card-biz said:
slvoid,

Sounds like you just want to throw some more money at your new toy!

Here's a neat add-on for the HDS that you may not be aware of, the beamshaper lens from AW. It about doubles the hotspot of your HDS beam. I bought one and haven't looked back. It is a very useful upgrade.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/81875&highlight=hds+lens

Have fun!

Bill

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it spreads out the hot spot, but that is sometimes more desireable. I just wish it was available in a removeable cap like the strong diffuser/F04. I'd like to be able to quickly swap between the two. I use my F04 on the HDS a lot indoors.

Here's an idea for HDS (or an intrepid modder):
make the bezel ring or replacement ring hand removable so we can tool-lessly swap in the aforemention lenses and diffusers. OR thread on a diffuser like camera lens filters. Then we could keep one on as a protective cap during travel and storage.