Storing your collection

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a shelf in my basement that's filling up pretty quickly and I don't want one light scratching another.

How do you store/protect your lights so that they don't get scratched, etc?

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Porcupine

Enlightened
I don't have that many lights, so this works well for now:
pelicase2.jpg

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the tackle box. I am still keeping mine on a shelf and scattered around on tables. But I think a rifle case would protect them better and allow me to move them if needed and then once I flip it open, all of them are right there in one view. For some, a double pistol case would suffice. Gander Mountain has them for anywhere from $25 to $100. They have soft foam on both sides that will capture anything you put inside.

I have been keeping my parts : batteries, LEDs, lanyards, bulbs, o-rings, lenses, clips, etc in a cardboard box, but just bought a toolbox with dividedl compartments in the lid to keep all the parts in a collection of small cardboard boxes.

cloud

Newly Enlightened
I just store mine carefully in a draws..dont have any shelf queens, mine all get used.

perhaps you could make something out of wood say. drilling holes slightly larger than the diameter of the head or body, spaced apart.. cheap n easy i'd say

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just in chat MorpheusT1 said a gun case. Good idea as if you get a cheap one it likely will be cheaper than a Pelican. Might even find one at a pawn store or something. Good for if you have long lights like mag lites etc...

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jumpmaster said:
...I have also used Plano tackle boxes (the small ones with removeable dividers)...
I also like the small Planos. Cheap and orderly. They're perfect for stashes of discontinued lights we stocked up on because Mrs Umbra and I can't live without them. I've got one filled with old CMG Infinities and another filled with INOVA X1 Spots.

We don't have any shelf queens.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
cloud said:
I just store mine carefully in a draws..dont have any shelf queens, mine all get used.
Most of mine are in the sock drawer. There's a bunch up on the wire shelf in the closet. And a few more scattered about the desk in the office. Oh, and one in the pocket, one on the keyring, and one in the belt holster.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine are in a closet sitting on a shelf. My mag mods that is. The smaller lights are in use, in the car, keychain, etc or resting on my computer desk.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
For transport, a Pelican case or two..or three..or four....for home? Leave 'em out to look at and play with!

Karl

greenLED

Flashaholic
I have a *really* nice case padded that rscanady very kindly gave me. :thanks: IIRC, it was originally meant for knives, but works great for lights too (not the big ones, though).

Before that... I cardboard box... :green:

I should post pics sometime.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
This wouldn't work for larger lights, but I've been using poker chip racks. I had a bunch of these laying around, and they keep stuff from rolling around or getting lost.

chip-tray-big-2.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm that chip rack would be good for putting small leds and screws in when modding so they dont roll away!

I need to get me a case, but first i need to measure my lights!! Even if I end up with a cardboard box, I need something!

rscanady

Enlightened
greenLED said:
I have a *really* nice case padded that rscanady very kindly gave me. :thanks: IIRC, it was originally meant for knives, but works great for lights too (not the big ones, though).

Before that... I cardboard box... :green:

I should post pics sometime.

Yes, you should definitely show off that box!

R

RPM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use inexpensive pistol cases with "egg crate" foam. Get 'em cheap ($11.00) at Big5 Sporting goods. I believe they are made by Doskosport. I've seen others at the same price.

IMG_2001.jpg

809.jpg

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah those
Doskocil are the ones I'll probably get. I gotta measure first. Like 20 shipped from basspro I think.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Normally I just keep a few in this tool drawer, with the rest scattered about the house. Just for the heck of it I managed to squeeze almost all in there the other night.

DSC03425-1.jpg

Geoff