Source and advice needed for old VW engine...

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, Folks...

I'm getting ready to begin replacing the engine in my rail buggy. It currently has a 1967 (I think) 1600cc dual port engine. I think it is Brazilian-made VW. It currently has a single-barrel carb. This will only be used on roads, so mainly going for good fuel economy...a little pep would be nice -- but it only weighs about 1000 pounds, so it wouldn't take much for that. Maybe a slightly modified cam would be all it needs and still get good mileage. What do you think?

I checked the machine shops in my area and they are all quoting enormous prices to have it align-bored and to hone the jugs. I would rather locate a good source elsewhere for a reconditioned case. It would probably cost less, even crated and shipped. The machine shop told me it would only save me about $150 to disassemble and reassemble it myself...which tells me their rates are extremely high. They quoted about $1200 because "the engine is complicated" and "requires special parts". I do not think that's true. There are parts everywhere.

Advice on R&R of the engine is appreciated as well. I understand there are only four bolts holding it in, but I've never removed/replaced a VW engine...should I remove the headers, distributor, etc. first? Should it go back in complete or with everything removed and then put everything back on?

Thanks...I am always impressed with the depth of knowledge on here every time I ask questions of this nature.

JM-99

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have rebuilt a few engines in front engine cars and vans . I have a friend here, who knows someone, who can get parts and machine work done at a very reasonable price. There must be lots of places that sell High Performance VW engines, try looking for something like that, The cost will probably be just slightly higher that a stock rebuild.

With all my cars - I got the dealer repair manual, not Chiltons or any of those. there is usually a section on engine removal .

good luck.

sniper

Enlightened
Jumpmaster: Try this:1970's VW Repair Manual Great Graphics Hippy Era Item number: 160051268511

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
eBay, helped keep my oooold Beetle alive, and may give some alternatives. But yeah, a remanufactured block probably would be lots better than the custom machine shop route. There are several fairly low $ ways to put some hair on the engine's chest.

AMAZON.com has new ones.

Formula V race car sites are a source of parts, hop up gimmicks, etc, etc, Good luck.

Last edited:

mahoney

Enlightened
What Sniper said. Buy the book. When I sold off my Bug 20 years ago I made the mistake of selling the "Complete Idiot's Guide" with it. Best car repair manual ever written IMO. No matter how complex the procedure, it was broken down to simple steps and if you followed the book and didn't try to skip a step or do something stupid, the car would work when you put it back together.

VW parts used to be dirt cheap and available everywhere, not quite like that anymore. But there are still a lot of VW Bugs on the road in Mexico. My gut says that you should be able to do a lot better than $1200 for an engine rebuild/reconditioned engine for a VW bug.

One more thing. I drove a 1600cc for years. Gas mileage on the oil cooled bug engines just isn't that great, especially given the aerodynamics of the bug. I usually got low 20's in town and high 20's/maybe 30+ on the highway.

Good luck with it.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several books...the Muir book and a couple of others. I am primarily looking for advice on a vendor from which to obtain a rebuilt engine without getting ripped off and direct experiential advice pertaining to pulling the engine out of a rail vs. a bug (because I have a rail and the books pertain to pulling it from a bug.)

The rail is quite a bit lighter than the bug...others have reported much better mileage than that with their rail buggies. Anything is better than what I'm getting in my truck right now, but that is another story. No one seems to have any answers on that. :(

Will's suggestion on the dealer engine manual is a good one...if I can find one. :) I've seen similar manuals for other engines and I really like the way they're laid out...they seem to be much better organized than the ones I have with respect to locating torque specifications, for instance.

Thanks.

JM-99

Last edited:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, I wished i save those old HOT VW magazines. They were nothing but girls and engine kits for these cars with the air cooled engines.